CBR1100XX.org Forum

What's wrong with my baby!

silverbird1100

Starting a little bit last year and much more so this year my engine is starting to vibrate like a normal I-4. Numb hands and everything. I tried the usual and my only thoughts are the power commander that smoothed it out so much when the bike was new is going out. Other than that, is this what happens when you pass 30,000 miles?

Starting a little bit last year and much more so this year my engine is starting to vibrate like a normal I-4. Numb hands and everything. I tried the usual and my only thoughts are the power commander that smoothed it out so much when the bike was new is going out. Other than that, is this what happens when you pass 30,000 miles?

my bird is just past 30k, and it vibrates more than it should, especially in the 4-5k rpm range. it won't make my hands numb, and it doesn't vibrate nearly as much as my FJ1200, but for a blackbird it is a lot. kind of upsetting at first, but it's still smoother than most liter bikes so i'm ok with it.

I was wondering the same thing but assumed it was my imagination. Glad to hear I'm not alone! I'm coming up on 33K and have noticed more vibration than I remember previously. Any ideas on why would be appreciated!

Alan

Guest rockmeupto125

Folks experiencing the problem you are describing should at least consider whether the chain and sprocket drive system might be all or in part responsible for any vibration. As they wear, they generate some significant stresses and harmonics.

:icon_naughty: Depending on your weight and loading, think about replacing wheel bearings around 40,000km. I like to powdercoat a new color on my rims while the bearings are out.

The bearings are usually non replacable once removed due to possible damage.

So good time for paint.

Graham

gah. so it seems honda fucked up and most blackbirds will eventually be full of vibes. i keep hearing the same thing, which matches my experience... vibes from 2 through 4k rpm, smooth as silk at 5, and then back to the vibes at 7. i'd be pissed if i didn't get such a good deal on my 'bird.

hrmmm... so, what are the vibes like on a busa/zx-12/zx-14? do they have similar issues, or are they even smooth to begin with?

Mine is a '97 with right at 40K. When the plugs are about gone or the carbs need to be syncronized--it will vibrate a bit---more noticable at certain rpm ranges. BUT---by far the worst problem I had was I installed a new chain and 'staked' it too much. Chased the problem for awhile, then removed the master link and installed a new one using the proper tool (DID tool on DID chain)---back to incredibly smooth.

Good luck hunting your vibration demons--------happy trails kel

• 2 weeks later...

:icon_biggrin: The ZX12 is ultra smoooth, even low in revs in high gear, lots o grunt, corners like a race setup bike, love it

but not for touring, may be my next bike or maybe not, I know I can really load up the bird and not worry about cracking frames. :icon_hand: