CBR1100XX.org Forum

Floor Question

JoWhee

Ok so I've got wall to wall ugly carpet at my place, it's going..

It seems to be the stuff with the foam backer on it and glued to the floor. I've been cutting with a utility knife it to remove the "carpet" layer then using a square shovel, and a putty knife to get up the underpad. This is working pretty well as I don't mind a little elbow grease.

But, is there an easier way?

post-348-1147901334_thumb.jpg

Hire someone.

Smart man :icon_clap:

I did the same thing, only way to get it done right :icon_cool:

Ya but then you're not a handy man, you're a "pay up cocksucker" man. :icon_biggrin:

BTW I found a great way to get the last little bits off the floor, use a vaccuum cleaner with a beater brush attachment.

• 2 weeks later...

Well yes......... They actually make a super heavy duty razor bladed floor scraper. It has a 6" blade and shaves the stuff off like butter.

Where to buy one.......? I don't know, I borrowed the one I used from a buddy in the biz.

• 4 weeks later...

Well yes......... They actually make a super heavy duty razor bladed floor scraper. It has a 6" blade and shaves the stuff off like butter.

Where to buy one.......? I don't know, I borrowed the one I used from a buddy in the biz.

got an ice chipper and a grinder? :icon_evilgrin:

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's probably too late now but you must rent a power scraper for an easier job don't ask me how I know.

no it's still not too late, we've had a few guys quit at work so I havent' had time to rip up the rest, with the overtime I'm pulling down I may just hire someone to do the whole place.

I'm going to look into the power scraper.

i got some floor adhesive remover in a gallon jug at ace hardware, the stuff was a little spendy, i think like 20 bucks a gallon, but it worked slick, just goop it on and let it cook for about 20 mins, then everything wipes right off. i couldn't just scrape though, because i was trying to get to the hardwood underneath. wasn't too cheap, but it sure was easier.

• 1 month later...

You can rent them!!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine who is a former contractor recommended a floor buffer with a Scotch-brite pad. Sounds like it should be very effective. Anyone ever try it?

We're going to paint our concrete floors in part of the house.