CBR1100XX.org Forum

head shake

bwflorence

Hi All,

I noticed the other day that when I take my hands off the bars while doing >70Km/h the bikes starts to headshake. It settles down at lower speeds. The bike is a 03 model with 10700 KM on the clock. would the steering head bearings go that quickly ???

Could it also be a dodgy tire ?? It has the original tires on it (Bridgestone Battlax)....

so far, ive implemented a workaround...I dont take my hands off the bars anymore :icon_dance:

Hi All,

I noticed the other day that when I take my hands off the bars while doing >70Km/h the bikes starts to headshake. It settles down at lower speeds. The bike is a 03 model with 10700 KM on the clock. would the steering head bearings go that quickly ???

Could it also be a dodgy tire ?? It has the original tires on it (Bridgestone Battlax)....

so far, ive implemented a workaround...I dont take my hands off the bars anymore :icon_dance:

Any luggage on it? Mine only does it when loaded with the Givis on back.

Hi All,

Any luggage on it? Mine only does it when loaded with the Givis on back.

Mine started doing it when I got the GIVI's, and got pretty bad with the nearly worn out PR on the front... Still running the PR front (for another 2 days anway) and did the tapered steering head bearings and it's stopped COMPLETELY, even with the worn front tire...

Mike

Mine started doing it when I got the GIVI's, and got pretty bad with the nearly worn out PR on the front... Still running the PR front (for another 2 days anway) and did the tapered steering head bearings and it's stopped COMPLETELY, even with the worn front tire...

Mike

Wow...interesting that the tappered bearings worked so well.

bwflorence....your tires are cupped! :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Hi All,

Get rid of the bridgestones.... thats likely your problem right there. My head shake problems went when I changed to Metzeler Z6.

Well I've been dragging my ass to report this because I'm rather despondent over it.

I did my headbearings to tapered over the winter and also put on new Contiforces. rode this spring and had no headshake. Now as the tires are wearing I'm getting it back.

It doesn't start by itself but if I take my hands off at 50 decellerating and whack a grip with my fist it starts and continues. As the tires wear more it will probably start on it's own.

Now I still say it's worth doing if yours are dented, the handling in the corners is much improved but it's not a cureall for the headshake like I thought it would be. :icon_sad:

Well I've been dragging my ass to report this because I'm rather despondent over it.

I did my headbearings to tapered over the winter and also put on new Contiforces. rode this spring and had no headshake. Now as the tires are wearing I'm getting it back.

It doesn't start by itself but if I take my hands off at 50 decellerating and whack a grip with my fist it starts and continues. As the tires wear more it will probably start on it's own.

Now I still say it's worth doing if yours are dented, the handling in the corners is much improved but it's not a cureall for the headshake like I thought it would be. :icon_sad:

Actually, mine would still headshake when I did them the first time (I think I didn't get a race all the way seated, and ended up loosening up on me when they wore in or something), but when I went back and re-torqued them, it's stopped completely, and this is with a fuxor'd tire too (the one that I wore 1/2 of lower than the rest, because I had a pretty bad brake pulsation...

Mike

Honda rec you check steering head bearing tightness every 3500 miles.what you want to do is put the xx on center stand have someone push the back of the bike down to lift the front wheel if the air if h-bars flop to either side sterring brg adj is needed the h-bars should stay where ever you put them if steering bearing adj is correct. if they are to loose gyro effect is causing the shake, front tire wear and air also may cause it

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies....

Tyre pressures are OK....dont think the front tyre is squared off...but it does have 10.5k kilometres on it...

Could be loose steering head bearings...how do you adjust them ???

Is it an easy process or am I better off taking the bike to the dealer ???

What's headshake?

I was thinking about getting a hyperpro steering damper it would work great on those PA twistys :icon_cool:

how much work to install one on my 03 ?

I've had the headshakes for awhile now. I have been playing with my tire changing equipment I got a few weeks back. I replaced my completly worn out Front Michelin Sport with a less used one and the head shake went away. Then I put a new Pilot Road on the back and the head shake was back. Last night I put a new Pilot Power on the front. Head shake gone again.

Tires must be a part of the problem.. I have yet to do tapered bearings. Maybe this winter.

I have a road trip next week so the Givi's will go on. Head shake will probably be back again.

Bearings,worn tire,Givi,etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you guys can chase this problem all day and night but in reality this problem is related to frame,forks and swingarm stifness.

BTW you don`t know what headshake is unless you rode 98-99 R1 on race tires without steering dumper.

Just remember to keep at least one hand on the grips and all will be O.K.

Guest rockmeupto125

Hey, have you looked around? My dash is bare....no XM, no GPS, no missile launchers, garage door openers, EZ-Pass......

What's headshake?

I have one of those Hyperpro dampers on my 98 Ti BB but still get a bit of headshake sometimes when no hands and decelerating from 90 odd kph but then the front Dunlop 208 is basically fucked and cupped badly :icon_doh: - going to get a Mich P/ Power very soon :icon_biggrin: , Btw also have a Nonfango topbox which obviously does not help whith the headshake thing :icon_nono:

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies....

Tyre pressures are OK....dont think the front tyre is squared off...but it does have 10.5k kilometres on it...

Could be loose steering head bearings...how do you adjust them ???

Is it an easy process or am I better off taking the bike to the dealer ???

10.5K on the front tire? It's cupped, that's your issue. Replace that sneaker ASAP.

Bearings,worn tire,Givi,etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you guys can chase this problem all day and night but in reality this problem is related to frame,forks and swingarm stifness.

BTW you don`t know what headshake is unless you rode 98-99 R1 on race tires without steering dumper.

Just remember to keep at least one hand on the grips and all will be O.K.

Can you elaborate on the stiffness of the swingarm and forks. i.e. Does too much stiffness make it worse ? or does the problem exist because it is not stiff enough?

cheers