CBR1100XX.org Forum

Remove OEM clutch line...

testrider

Hi all,

I installed my front Galfer brake lines a little while ago but my Galfer cluth line is sitting in the box. How hard is it to remove the OEM cluth hose+hard line? Do I need to remove the fuel tank? Will I get better feel from a SS clutch line? But either way, I think my cluth line is too old as mine is a 97 and it was never replaced.

Thanks.

I think I snaked my old line out without removing the tank. I don't really notice much difference in the clutch action or feel with the new line, but it looks cool. :icon_lol:

I think I snaked my old line out without removing the tank. I don't really notice much difference in the clutch action or feel with the new line, but it looks cool. :icon_lol:

Thanks, Jim,

How did you remove the line (steel line from rear brake) that's blocking

the clutch line?

post-891-1146850063_thumb.jpg

How did you remove the line (steel line from rear brake) that's blocking the clutch line?

You remove that center bolt, it just holds the block in place. Put it back when you are done. Lifting the tank makes life MUCH easier so I would suggest doing it. The gain is a bit better and more consistent feel from the clutch. Of course it does NOT make the lever any firmer or softer as lever resistance is from the clutch springs (different from brake 'feel').

Thanks, Jim,

the clutch line?

I only loosened that bolt in your picture. Then I pulled the rubber part of the hose aft (towards the back of the bike). Once I got that portion past the bolt I was able to pull up the whole steel part of the line up and out. I did loosen my tank bolts and moved it over slightly. I haven't noticed a big improvement in clutch feel but the line does look cool :icon_biggrin: . I needed the extra length for my vfr bars.

Thanks, Jim,

the clutch line?

I only loosened that bolt in your picture. Then I pulled the rubber part of the hose aft (towards the back of the bike). Once I got that portion past the bolt I was able to pull up the whole steel part of the line up and out. I did loosen my tank bolts and moved it over slightly. I haven't noticed a big improvement in clutch feel but the line does look cool :icon_biggrin: . I needed the extra length for my vfr bars.

Thank you all, I appreciate your comments.

Me too I have Helibar. I'm going to replace it if for no other reason that my OEM lines

are 9 years old (97 XX).

Oh, did you route the new line just like the OEM?

Yes, I slid the galfer line behind the bolted area in the picture. I put the bent end fitting down on the clutch side and the straight end fitting up at the master. I will try to get some pics up.

Yes, I slid the galfer line behind the bolted area in the picture. I put the bent end fitting down on the clutch side and the straight end fitting up at the master. I will try to get some pics up.

Please do if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.

OK,

Not much to see though. First picture shows clutch attachment. Second picture shows how line is routed behind steel line. I also will post some other pictures of my front brake route clamps in your other post.

The clutch is easy to do. The hardest part is pulling the rubber hose out.

post-1220-1146884842_thumb.jpg

post-1220-1146884869_thumb.jpg

OK,

Not much to see though. First picture shows clutch attachment. Second picture shows how line is routed behind steel line. I also will post some other pictures of my front brake route clamps in your other post.

The clutch is easy to do. The hardest part is pulling the rubber hose out.

Thanks for the pics. I appreciate it. Did you have to tie it up along the clutch line somewhere?

Thanks for the pics. I appreciate it. Did you have to tie it up along the clutch line somewhere?

I suppose I should have, but I didn't. Maybe I will put a nylon tie near the bolt. Only the rubber grommet holds the stock line there. You don't have up and down movement like you do with the brake lines.

• 14 years later...
On 5/5/2006 at 1:27 PM, testrider said:

Thanks, Jim,

the clutch line?

post-891-1146850063_thumb.jpg

I'm reviving an old thread because this pic is perfect for askign my question.

I have Helibars and want to add Genmar risers as well (Im getting too old for this shit).  I absolutely want to use teh stock brake and clutch lines.  the problem seems to be the little rubber plug just above the yellow arrow in the attached pic.  The clutch line goes straight up to the left clip-on from that rubber piece and it's pretty tight.  I suspect I would have to get the line away from the frame to free up some slack.  does anyone know how to remove the line from the frame at this point?         

Well, so much for reviving a long dead thread.  

Im done with the install and didn't have to go near that bolt.  

In case anyone wants to know, Helibars and risers combined work just fine with the stock clutch and brake lines. I had no problem at all.  The throttle cables are just a tad tight at full lock but I think it will work.  

7 hours ago, SSUXX said:

Well, so much for reviving a long dead thread.  

Im done with the install and didn't have to go near that bolt.  

In case anyone wants to know, Helibars and risers combined work just fine with the stock clutch and brake lines. I had no problem at all.  The throttle cables are just a tad tight at full lock but I think it will work.  

Post up a photo of your install.  I'm glad that it worked out.

• Upvote 1