CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tires

DaveK

Michelin Pilot Roads mileage. I currently have 7800 miles on the Roads. The rear is approaching bar marks pretty soon so guessing 8200-8600 and they will have given their all. The front is still good, but no way will the Roads do 1 front for 2 rears, front is as least 2/3 gone. Excellent ST tire w no cupping or uneven wear both front and rear, 1st time for me. I noticed the grip has degraded just a bit during the ILL River Run during the faster sections, but very close to new scrubbed in feel. Performance degration over mileage is definitely less than other tires i've done.

For reference, the oem BT57 rear had given it's all plus some at 7700. The front BT57 was just over 1/2 gone at same mileage. I replaced both at the 7700 mark.

I ridden the Roads faster and harder :sex: and liked them considerably better than BT57s, esp. the grip and smoothness. Never ridden BT020 or Avons, so can't compare. Already have another set of Roads on order.

My $.02

I read these tire posts and I wonder if the numbers are being grossly exagerated. how on earth are you people getting so many miles out of your tires? I commute on my bird and have about 30 miles of twisties each day. I don't do burnouts, wheelies, or drag racing, but even so these are the mileages I have gotten with my tires:

BT57 - 3300 miles

BT010 - 1800 miles

D207 - 1700 miles

BT56SS - 3600 miles

As I write I have side wear bars front and rear on the BT56SS and will likely throw on some BT012SS tires tomorrow. So, what am I doing so different to trash my tires up to four times faster than some of you (7000+ on BT010???????)

I read these tire posts and I wonder if the numbers are being grossly exagerated. how on earth are you people getting so many miles out of your tires? I commute on my bird and have about 30 miles of twisties each day. I don't do burnouts, wheelies, or drag racing, but even so these are the mileages I have gotten with my tires:

BT57 - 3300 miles

BT010 - 1800 miles

D207 - 1700 miles

BT56SS - 3600 miles

As I write I have side wear bars front and rear on the BT56SS and will likely throw on some BT012SS tires tomorrow. So, what am I doing so different to trash my tires up to four times faster than some of you (7000+ on BT010???????)

It's really too bad that you're getting sportbike tire mileage out of your sport touring tires.

I ride mostly on expressways and highways usually exceeding the posted speed limits so I never get any wear on the sides of my tires. Usally keep 41 or 42 lbs in both tires.

BT57 - 8,545 miles

MEZ4 - 8,320 miles (removed with almost 3/32nds of tread still remaining because I had a set of Pilot Roads that I wanted to mount while I had the bike 1/2 apart anyway)

but how do you balence them?

Well, it's not very hi-tech but after putting the tire on the rim, I put the wheel on the bike without the caliper or chain. Spin the wheel and watch where the vavle stem stops. Spin it many times and if it stops at different places, your good. If it seems to stop at the same place, then I tape a small weight opposite side. It takes time but I have found that Dunlops tire to be almost perfect in balance. I have run my bike up to 175mph (on the speedo) with never a hint of unbalance.

Well, that explains it. Thanks for all your responses. I realize now that the reason I don't get better mileage out of my tires is because I am a big guy on a big bike but I ride it as though I am a lightweight on a light bike. In other words, I ride it like a sport bike and dragging knees and sliding rears is just part of my normal riding. Just don't tell my bird she's too heavy for the kind of riding I do. I wouldn't want her to get self conscious.

Anyway, I will post my impressions of the BT012SS tires once they are fully scuffed and dragging pucks or pegs. Supposedly they are the replacement for the BT56SS which I liked better than any tire I have used so far.

Come to think of it, I wonder how the Blackbird WOULD do as a sport tourer. Afterall, there have been some IBA Saddlesore certifications earned on this bike. My biggest day yet has been 450 miles and aside from it being a huge loop with lots of twisties I felt pretty good at the end. 1000 miles in 24 hours? How about in 12!!!!!?????

Come to think of it, I wonder how the Blackbird WOULD do as a sport tourer. Afterall, there have been some IBA Saddlesore certifications earned on this bike. My biggest day yet has been 450 miles and aside from it being a huge loop with lots of twisties I felt pretty good at the end. 1000 miles in 24 hours? How about in 12!!!!!?????

HUH????

In 1997 a Blackbird took 2nd place in the Iron Butt Rally

In 1999, took 7th place

In 2001 took 3rd place and made it to Prudhoe Bay, AK

They've also been ridden in numerous shorter Endurance Rallies covering far more than 1,000 miles in 24 hours.

So... they actually do make a reasonably decent sport touring mount :grin:

BT57 - 3300 miles

BT010 - 1800 miles

D207 - 1700 miles

BT56SS - 3600 miles

Sounds like low air. Maybe side drag caused by alignment concerns, or a little of both. I got my worst mileage this past week-end with the BT 57's.

9027 miles on the rear and 11,337 on the front. My last set went over 15K on the front and over 12K on the rear. The 57's love hi air pressures. 45-46 PSI front and rear cold. I just went over 36K on the bike.

The blackbird makes a great long distance sport touring bike. For me at 5'9" 175 lbs, the seat/bar relationship is good. You just firm up the springs and reduce the compression damping, throw on some soft luggage, and ride. If you don't fuck with the jetting, you can usually go 200 miles between fuel stops. Actually, I can't think of a better use for this bike. It's to heavy to run with the latest sport bikes, (assuming equal riders) and it's serious overkill for a commuter bike. Yeah, it eats tires. It's heavy, has lots of power, and most owners ride them pretty hard. I stick with the sport touring style tires, and usually get around 4-5,000 on my rear tires, and 6-9,000 on the fronts, no matter what the brand.