CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tires

DaveK

I am about to purchase another set of tires to put on the bike right after the neXXt.....

Need advise.

Plain and simple....I want a tire that is going to last the longest. I am not so concerned with how stickie they are, how grippy they are...

What would be your opinion for a LONG LIFE TIRE.

I believe someone ???(Hook)??? told me they got 15K out of a tire ?

BT somethings ?

Thanks

Dave, I would still go with the 45/46 combo. The front has 4mm depth left on it with a little over 400 miles and no cupping.

The rear was determined to be a "test" tire, that's why it wore out so fast, and also that's why Avon wanted the whole tire back not just a piece cut out of the tire with the DOT number. I have around around 500 miles on the rear and some of the nubs are still on the tire.

The BT20's would be your best bet Dave (if you go Bridgestone). That is their ST tire. BT 10's are the next softest (considered sport tire) then the BT012SS for the track.

MaXX

I got 10k out of the BT010's on my 929. I just put a new set of BT020's on the XX. I'm hoping to get at least that out of these. Were those the ones you were talking about?

Please tell me how you get 10k,I run those on the rear of my 954 and get about 3.5k.Yes I ride somewhat hard but even if I putted around I don't think I would get even 8k. Must be doing something wrong. Jeff

[quote name="

The rear was determined to be a "test" tire' date=' that's why it wore out so fast, and also that's why Avon wanted the whole tire back not just a piece cut out of the tire with the DOT number. I have around around 500 miles on the rear and some of the nubs are still on the tire.

My avon is about shot at 5k,do you have a number for me to call ? I wonder if I have a test tire,Cal would like to know two since his is shot also with like mileage. Thanks,Jeff PS Can someone tell me how to properly use the Quote feature? I"m shot today after a 450 mile ride on the 954 yesterday.

No offense anyone...I don't like the avons at all. I have 3Kon them and very little tread left. I am actually not riding alot because I don't want to have to change them before the nexxt...So I won't be doing Avon again.

Mabey they just aren't right for my riding style.

SO BT it is....do they still make the 57's ???? If not I will give the Sport Touring BT20's.

Thanks guys...I appreciate the quick feedback. I am going to order them from the tire place everyone recommends !

Dave

I got 13k out of my first bt057 front and didn't REALLY have to ditch it.

I got 8.5k out of my rear bt057 but got a nail in it, would have gone 10k easily.

Be sure to get the oem bt057 though, www.parts411.com gots them for cheap :grin:

after trouble with a front bt010 and a front bt020, I went and got myself an oem bt057 to run with my bt020 rear, works fine and only paid like $78 for it!

trade off is the handling pretty much sucks.

Dave, You must have gotten a "test" tire or something. I got 6500 out of my Avon 36 and I did probably half of that with Kathy on the back. The Avon 46 is suppose to give even more distance. You obviously got a test tire or ???? I've got a little over 3K on mine and the tires are not even close to half worn. If it's strictly mileage that you want, make sure that you get a touring tire of some sort.

My personal jury is still out on the Avon 45/46's. I still haven't mounted my new FREE rear. It is still waiting at the dealer. Been raining for like 15 days now haven't been rideing. :cry:

The front at 4k miles is down only 1/32nd and no cupping. :grin:

Dave, get the 45/46 combo.

Although the BT 57's are cheap at 411. I had them on my 1000f and liked them alot.

CBR-RR-XX-ESS, call the AVON 1-800 number off their site. Speak with a guy named John in customer service. I don't have the number on hand, or i would post it. Sorry.

Is it just me or does it seem that Avon has some sort of quality control problem. All of these issues on "test tires", whatever that is and why would they release something like that to the public. G2 had an out of round one. Carlos had a funky one. Sounds like their customer service is great though, and handles the problems, but jeez awful lot of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got just over 2k on my AV46 now, with the whole tread used up the first day, as well as 12 runs down the 1/4.

I didn't measure the tread, but I can't see any noticeable tread wear in that distance.

Dave, you've followed me before, and you know how I ride. If this tire is lasting this well with my riding, then I don't see why you wouldn't get similar wear.

Just to note, the 46 is not as sticky as the 36, IMHO, and I'd stay away from the Bridgestone's for cupping reasons.

I am just weary about Avon's now...especially now with all of the returns.

I ordered the 020's. 200 beans delivered with moto tires.com.

Just wish I could find a place to install them for less than 100 bucks.

My AV46 was fully worn in the center at just over 7200 miles. That included a lot of commuting and long straight rides (3200 miles for Cody, plus others). Of course, I may have done "one or two" top speed runs in there... The AV45 front is still going, I'm guessing it will be good for 14k or so.

I really do like my Pilot Road Sports - I now have about 3k miles on them with 75% of that in commuting, and the tread is still significantly there! They stick as well as most tires in the wet, and they're quite stable and sticky when it counts...

:grin:

No offense anyone...I don't like the avons at all.  I have 3Kon them and very little tread left.  I am actually not riding alot because I don't want to have to change them before the nexxt...So I won't be doing Avon again.  

Mabey they just aren't right for my riding style.

SO BT it is....do they still make the 57's ????  If not I will give the Sport Touring BT20's.

Thanks guys...I appreciate the quick feedback.  I am going to order them from the tire place everyone recommends !

Dave

Dave, you old fucker, How are you? They still make the BT 57's. The 20's are softer, but don't last as long as the 57's. I got 10k on the front and 8k on the rear and they are still going strong. And you know I run high pressures and still hang in the corners :wink: I've got the same tires that I had at the Hoot. Go with the BT 57's. They ARE MADE for the XX :!: