CBR1100XX.org Forum

HOW-TO: Replace The CCT On Your Blackbird

Special thanks to Warchild for this excellent writeup!

My Blackbird's engine, at ~60,000 miles, has been sounding like a "bag-o-marbles" for quite some time now. We had a Group Buy for the X-11 Cam Chain Tensioner (a much improved design, we are told) almost two years ago, but I never got around to installing it. Finally did so today, and the engine is silent as a tomb compared to what it was rattling like before!

This took all of 10 minutes to do, and over half of that was removing/reinstalling the right-side cowling.

For those that haven't replaced their's yet, here's a brief summary:

Here is the X-11 Chain Chain Tension kit, comprise of the CCT itself, and the CCT gasket, which is p/n 14523-MAL-A00 on the left (gasket hidden behind cardboard packaging):

IPB Image

The CCT is located on the outboard right-side of the engine, slightly covered by the rear of the upper radiatior hose and coolant return line. It's held in place by two 5mm socket head bolts. Once these two bolts are removed, the old CCT lifts straight out. Here is the resultant opening, with traces of the old green gasket that I need to clean off:

IPB Image

Here's is the nice clean, shiny-black X-11 CCT that replaces the oem silver CCT. The X-11 CCT comes "pre-wound", with the windings held in place by a small steel "key" that you can just see inserted at the top of the CCT:

IPB Image

The old silver factory CCT had an 8mm bolt installed at the very top of the CCT, though I'm not sure it it had any real function other that to keep dirt/debris away from the opening. The X-11 CCT did not come with this bolt, but just in case it does serve a purpose, I decided to move it over to the X-11 version. Note small steel "key" that I just removed from the new CCT, allowing the Tensioner's "plunger" to descend as designed:

IPB Image

Ready to rock! CCT installed, bolts torqued, 8mm end cap in place.

IPB Image

HTH......

• Downvote 1