CBR1100XX.org Forum

HELP! Electric Furnace Quit Working

Northman

OK, I could figure this out if they included a wiring diagram inside, but they don't. I have pics of the inside of the unit, and will post them in a minute.

Anyone here work on these things? It would randomly not work (not start up) over the winter. Maybe 4 or 5 times, and all I would have to do is play with the switches on it, give it a couple of smacks, and it would work fine again for a while.

Now it's quit, and won't come back to life no matter what I do. It will run the fan constantly if I switch it on, however. Doesn't heat, though. I've eliminated the thermostat (crossed the terminals directly in the back of the furnace), so I'm at a loss. Pics coming soon....

OK, I could figure this out if they included a wiring diagram inside, but they don't. I have pics of the inside of the unit, and will post them in a minute.

Anyone here work on these things? It would randomly not work (not start up) over the winter. Maybe 4 or 5 times, and all I would have to do is play with the switches on it, give it a couple of smacks, and it would work fine again for a while.

Now it's quit, and won't come back to life no matter what I do. It will run the fan constantly if I switch it on, however. Doesn't heat, though. I've eliminated the thermostat (crossed the terminals directly in the back of the furnace), so I'm at a loss. Pics coming soon....

You have electric heat in Canada? There's a relay that brings on the electric strips that can go or the strips are burnt out. I'm guessing therelay since you've had intermittent probs.

Pics coming soon....

mmmmm Hard nipples!!! Can't wait for the pics!!! :icon_pray:

Get out your electric meter and trace the ciruit back from the heat element? My guess is it's not overly sophisticated.

I thought you had wood heat. Or was that Canada Dave?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

In the pics of the inside of the unit, there are three "relays?" on the top left. The third one down sparked when I hit it, but the others didn't.

Is that my problem?

Help? :icon_pray:

Yeh I second that, check the voltage at the relays, the heating coil maybe toast.

when was the last time you had it serviced? yes, I know that sounds funny, what make is it?

would you like some C4.

If you like your nipples hard, don't worry about the furnace.

15 degrees on the left coast. :icon_biggrin:

I'm still waiting for the pics...

C'mon Chris I'm trying to help here, or have you froze to death :icon_lol:

never mind you posted while I was bustin balls

I'm going to say yes as that relay appears to be the main relay as its feeding 2 heat strips.

Do you have a Volt/Ohm meter?

To check your heat strips disconnect the black wire from the strip and the red wire from the strip. Ohm out the terminals you should have resistance, continuity means it's shorted to itself and no reading is broken.

The black "button" the red wire goes to is a thermal switch. Which could also be bad

I pm'ed you my number

The yellow wires going to the relays are low voltage that energize the relays. Disconnect the wires and ohm the relays. Again you should have resistance. Maybe 75 ohms or so.

I'm going to say yes as that relay appears to be the main relay as its feeding 2 heat strips.

To check your heat strips disconnect the black wire from the strip and the red wire from the strip. Ohm out the terminals you should have resistance, continuity means it's shorted to itself and no reading is broken.

The black "button" the red wire goes to is a thermal switch. Which could also be bad

I have a multimeter, yes. Any idea where I could download a wiring diagram? I'd call you, Brett, but it won't be for another half hour. Can you wait that long?

I pm'ed you my number

The yellow wires going to the relays are low voltage that energize the relays. Disconnect the wires and ohm the relays. Again you should have resistance. Maybe 75 ohms or so.

Maybe it's an issue w/ the transformer at the bottom. If the transformer in bad, no low voltage to trip the relays.

I have a multimeter, yes. Any idea where I could download a wiring diagram? I'd call you, Brett, but it won't be for another half hour. Can you wait that long?

I'll be up.

I pm'ed you my number

Maybe it's an issue w/ the transformer at the bottom. If the transformer in bad, no low voltage to trip the relays.

Good idea. Check signal voltage to the contactors(relays).

It's not uncommon for the contact points to get burnt either. I have field serviced these type of relays before, and filed the contacts clean(emergency fix).

WHen the thermostat is engaged, are there any "clicking" sounds occuring? Any buzzing?

We can work through this. It's a pretty simple set up. PM me if you need a voice to walk you through it.

BTW, when checking the signal voltage to the contactors, do it on an A/C scale, and even before that, look for a transformer mounted in or on the heating unit. See if it has any marking indicating the output. 24VAC / 40VA is a common power supply.

I just looked closely at the pics posted. First thing is first. Check on an A/C scale the output of the big red wire on the bottom of the unit. Use a 250V scale to so this. You touch one lead to the big red wire, and the other to the twisted bare copper. You should read 110V. Do the same with the big black wire and hte bare stripped copper. It should also read 110V.

If you did this, you'll verify that you have power entering the heating unit. If you only have power on one of the big wires, then you lost a phase. If you lost a phase, do the same check on the circuit breaker in the main panel of the house. Check each (2) outputs of the breaker to ground. If you only have power to one leg, switch the breaker off and back on again. If you still only have power to one phase, and the panel doesn't smell like anything is burned such as a buss where that breaker contacts is , and the rest of the house is up and running fine, then the circuit breaker is bad.

Next, check the output of the transformer at the contactors.

Yes or no? If yes, then I doubt that 2 contactors fried at the same time.

Our electric heat/heat pump did the same thing once. It turned out to be a bad circuit breaker in the main house "fuse" box.

Well, a big thanks to Brett for his help. He PM'd me his phone # and we went through the system, finding a bad relay in the process, and one that may be on it's way out.

Off to buy new relays tomorrow, and that should have it working again.

Thanks to the rest of you for helping out.

Now, off to keep the fire going...

Most of the time there is a diagram on the unit somewhere. Often times on the inside of one of the panels.

Yeah, found it while Brett & I were talking, and I told him there wasn't one... :icon_redface:

so.... Does this mean no nipple pictures??

Janet... can you at least stop over long enough to bring your camera?

Well, a big thanks to Brett for his help. He PM'd me his phone # and we went through the system, finding a bad relay in the process, and one that may be on it's way out.

Off to buy new relays tomorrow, and that should have it working again.

Thanks to the rest of you for helping out.

Now, off to keep the fire going...

Most of the time there is a diagram on the unit somewhere. Often times on the inside of one of the panels.

Yeah, found it while Brett & I were talking, and I told him there wasn't one... :icon_redface:

No problem Chris glad I could help out.

Well, Brett....

Furnace is working just fine after replacing the relays.

I want to have your baby. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks, again, dude. Cost me $115 for the repair, but I figure you just saved me at least $200. :icon_dance:

I definitely owe you some beers at NeXXt.

:icon_hail:

Well, Brett....

Furnace is working just fine after replacing the relays.

I want to have your baby. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks, again, dude. Cost me $115 for the repair, but I figure you just saved me at least $200. :icon_dance:

I definitely owe you some beers at NeXXt.

:icon_hail:

Glad to hear the surgery was a suckcess.

I gotta talk my Brother out of getting married that weekend. I got a free room from Dave coming and now you're buyin the beer :icon_wall:

It's just another reminder of why this is the greatest board on the internet :icon_evilgrin:

Cut the Blue wire! That should defuse it. Good luck. :)

That's a Canadian heater? They don't look anything like that down here, looks like a fucking time machine or something.

Cut the Blue wire! That should defuse it. Good luck. :)

That's a Canadian heater? They don't look anything like that down here, looks like a fucking time machine or something.

Fuckin thing has all low voltage with yellow wire and high voltage with red wire. What a mess. At least Uncle Louie requires shit to be color coded :icon_lol: