CBR1100XX.org Forum

Are pilot power's too soft for us?

silverbird1100

I need to be able to get 5000 out of a rear. Would this be asking too much? I'm used to 020's and 220's so I have no issued with accelerated wear, just looking for something that doesn't cup.

5000 is about right for the Pilot Power rear. You'll be happy with them!

I need to be able to get 5000 out of a rear. Would this be asking too much? I'm used to 020's and 220's so I have no issued with accelerated wear, just looking for something that doesn't cup.

5000 is about right for the Pilot Power rear. You'll be happy with them!

+1

I have tried the OEM Dunlop D205, Bridgestones 012 and 014 and Pilot Powers.

P Powers have by far the best wear characteristics and I think you should do easily 5000.

I can gum up my new powers in no time..

I feel like the rear is a load more stable now.

This is coming off of 2 rear d205's

Stick with the sticky.. if you push hard, let'em wear out.. tires are cheaper than fairings and stator covers..

I can gum up my new powers in no time..

I feel like the rear is a load more stable now.

This is coming off of 2 rear d205's

Stick with the sticky.. if you push hard, let'em wear out.. tires are cheaper than fairings and stator covers..

And Pete can testify to that first hand!!! Right Pete? :icon_biggrin:

What is the bottom line difference between Pilot Powers and Pilot Roads? I'm hoping it is simply a harder center tread compound and I'm looking at a 7 to 8000 mile rear tire. I got a killer deal at $220 for the set of Pilot Roads. Am I gonna bust my ass and scrape my Bird up?

I have tried the OEM Dunlop D205, Bridgestones 012 and 014 and Pilot Powers.

P Powers have by far the best wear characteristics and I think you should do easily 5000.

Do they handle anything like the 205's or stones?

D 205s (now D 220s) only good point is that they make loud noise when you spin them.

What is the bottom line difference between Pilot Powers and Pilot Roads? I'm hoping it is simply a harder center tread compound and I'm looking at a 7 to 8000 mile rear tire. I got a killer deal at $220 for the set of Pilot Roads. Am I gonna bust my ass and scrape my Bird up?

I am going to go against the grain here. I just replaced my Powers with another set of Roads. I have used roads exclusively since they came out and had the Macadam before them.

The roads are very sticky and confidence inspiring but I got about 3000-4000 miles less wear than I get from the Roads. I live in Florida the Home of "11 curves in 318 miles" so the Roads are back on my new Gold Wheels.

I have ridden the Gap a few times with members here and was always on Roads then. I am not fast or press really hard but for all the group rides I have been on, NEXXT, SEXXT, FUXXT and the Honda Hoot, I have never been given the feeling of a tire even thinking about breaking loose on me.

I really like the roads and even did a track day on the roads last year with no problems.

I don't mind replacing them often, it just if I take a 5000 mile trip I don't want to be stopping for tires.

I just went and looked at a pair...they sure are pointy. My tires don't flat spot but it sure seems like these might.

Chris,

Are you planing a 5K road trip? What , where, when , and who ? You won't even ride the 175mile ride to WPB for BBQ and beer. Yeah, I know you're not leagl to drink yet and all, but I'll corrupt you gently.

Why don't you try the Avon AV45 up front and the AV46 on the rear? I went through three sets of them on my 99 Bird and the absolute WORST I got out of the rear was 6500 and the front went about 9K. Ask anyone that ever rode with me in TN during our spirited rides, ......the XX has been all the way to the edge of the tires (Avons) and drug the bottom of the fairings on both sides. Avon tires are a fairly inexpensive tire, but eXXcellent quality.

Why don't you try the Avon AV45 up front and the AV46 on the rear? I went through three sets of them on my 99 Bird and the absolute WORST I got out of the rear was 6500 and the front went about 9K. Ask anyone that ever rode with me in TN during our spirited rides, ......the XX has been all the way to the edge of the tires (Avons) and drug the bottom of the fairings on both sides. Avon tires are a fairly inexpensive tire, but eXXcellent quality.

Avon's will be my go to tire if I can't figure this out.

Power's are like a soft sport tire correct? I've never seen anyone on this site touring with a BT014 or or 208ZR or equavant, is there something about the powers that make them special?

Power's are like a soft sport tire correct? I've never seen anyone on this site touring with a BT014 or or 208ZR or equavant, is there something about the powers that make them special?

They are touted as a dual compound tire, softer on the sides, harder in the center. I really never toured with my XX, used it more as a sport bike. I prefered the Powers ( and before them the Pilot Sports ) because they are a sportier tire than the Pilot Roads. It is really a matter of personal preference.

They are touted as a dual compound tire, softer on the sides, harder in the center. I really never toured with my XX, used it more as a sport bike. I prefered the Powers ( and before them the Pilot Sports ) because they are a sportier tire than the Pilot Roads. It is really a matter of personal preference.

Plot Powers are NOT a dual compound tire, the Michelin Pilot race tires are. In another recent thread, Helvet (board member from the Netherlands) noted that Michelin is introducing a dual compound Pilot Power in Europe this year -- do a search, but I think it's to be called a "Pilot Power 2CT". Pilot Powers as we know them here ARE the sport tire you mention and they are touted as getting up to optimum temperatures for road use quickly. Like you, I've had the Powers and Sports and like them very much. But if we ever get a dual compound Pilot Power in the U.S., with a Pilot Road like center band, I'm going to be all over them.

Plot Powers are NOT a dual compound tire, the Michelin Pilot race tires are. In another recent thread, Helvet (board member from the Netherlands) noted that Michelin is introducing a dual compound Pilot Power in Europe this year -- do a search, but I think it's to be called a "Pilot Power 2CT". Pilot Powers as we know them here ARE the sport tire you mention and they are touted as getting up to optimum temperatures for road use quickly. Like you, I've had the Powers and Sports and like them very much. But if we ever get a dual compound Pilot Power in the U.S., with a Pilot Road like center band, I'm going to be all over them.

+1