CBR1100XX.org Forum

ANTS, DAMN ANTS... Help!

feelergaugephil

I forgrt the name of the stuff but ...

Don't use ant killer cause that is what causes them to move . You don't kill the queen with killer just some of the workers and they move .

There are a couple of products that are actually ant food !!! cept the food containes a sterilizer that will sterilize the queen. It takes about 2-3 weeks to work but they fed on it and pretty soon the queen cannot produce any more and what she does produce are sterile also. The life of an ant is very short, like 3 weeks but a healthy queen produces hundreds of babies every day.

Sterilize the Queen and the piles become sand to spread around the lawn.

Just sprinkle the powder on the mound and watch the worker ants take the food down into the mound to feed it to everyone inside. Don't disturb the mound just sprinkle on top.

Works great - just don't lick your fingers after application !!

My wife does all the landscaping & maintenance, so I consulted my resident expert... this works very well for fire ants.

Mix up some lawn fertilizer (of your choice) with an equal amount (roughly) of a cheap powdered laundry detergent (she likes Tide, but anything bio-degradable will work). Use a spreader and evenly distribute the mix on the lawn on a dry day, preferably a day or so before expected rain. After the next rain, put your Amdro (or preferred product) on/around the ant mounds.

The fretilizer is good for the lawn anyway. The detergent won't hurt it, but it does take its toll on lawn pests (many of whom are in the ant's food chain). By the time you give the ants the Amdro, they're getting desperate for sustinence... It works much quicker, and lasts longer because ant scouts (from other queens) won't find an ample food source in your "treated" yard. If you fretilize 3-4 times a year, this works pretty well year round.

Boric acid mixed with grape jelly. Put in small containers. Ants carry boric acid back to queen, she eats it and they all die.

You can get boric acid at your local pharmacy.

This is an indoor ant problem-solver, but I'd think if you cover the container properly where the ants can still get in, it may work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I killed a queen ant before. It was pretty cool to actually see one up close -- really big compared to the worker ants. I was surprised to see her in an ant trap that I had!