CBR1100XX.org Forum

TIP !! How to KILL ground moles....

Tom Braithwaite

That reminds me of a method an old OLD coot friend of my grandpa told me for catching catfish with plug chewing tobacco.

Cut a plug of chaw up into smallish pieces.

Throw it in the water.

The catfish will come up and get the chaw.

Then when they come up on the bank to spit you just club 'em in the head.

:D

That reminds me of a method an old OLD coot friend of my grandpa told me for catching catfish with plug chewing tobacco.

Cut a plug of chaw up into smallish pieces.

Throw it in the water.

The catfish will come up and get the chaw.

Then when they come up on the bank to spit you just club 'em in the head.

:D

The visual of that made me chuckle!

:twisted:

Old codger gave me a tip a few years back on the trick way to kill ground moles. Buy some Juicy Fruit gum, unwrap it and put it down the holes and cover the hole back up. The moles eat it and the gum plugs up their little a@s holes and they die....it works!!

My dad's way is WAAAY more fun! You take a .357 mag, stomp down all their tracks (right after you mow), and stand VEWWWWY still... you wait until you see them digging again (dirt raising) and pump a round or 2 into the ground where the digging is... ".357... Kills moles dead" :lol:

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

My father in law would crush up a bunch of aspirin and dissolve it in water, then put kernals of corn in the mix to soak it up. He would put the bowl out, and the squirrels would eat the corn and die.

I guess it thins the blood so much they just go to sleep and die. It might work for ground moles.????

I have a girlfriend in WA with a mole infiltration. I e-mailed a link to this thread and this is what I got back:

I tried the gum but didn't get the desired results (and I've tried just about EVERYTHING). The one thing I haven't tried is my shotgun, but there are so many large rocks in the dirt around here, I'm afraid the ricochet action would end up shooting me instead of the %$#@! mole.

Tell your friends that moles can be stunned to death. It's TRUE! One day, I had  stomped down the mole tunnels in my front yard and was standing there with a shovel and bucket, waiting for the earth to move (heh!). When it finally did, I quickly took a big scoop of earth and dumped it and the mole into the bucket. The mole was completely dead. Wasn't damaged in any way, it was just dead. I figured I must have given him a heart attack.

I mentioned this to a clerk at a local gardening center, and she confirmed that moles can be stunned to death. Another method is to use your shovel to whang away at the ground (or even better, at a big rock) near the tunnel. Provided you're whanging away at a spot right over the mole, the shock waves will often short circuit their wiring somehow and they croak.

Short of killing the little bastards, a 10-1 mixture of blood meal and cayenne pepper dumped in their tunnels sends them scurrying for new digs (it's also amazing on lawns - the nitrogen in the blood meal makes grass grow lush and green). Unfortunately, you can never be sure which direction they're going to run - back toward the front lawn, or over the property line into your neighbors' yard.  ;)

Moles usually are after grub worms. Kill out the grubs and the moles will leave your lawn.

My dad used to have mole traps. A tripod looking thing with a spring loaded fork and a trip lever on it. Flatten out the tunnels and place them on a flattened section. When the mole pushes up on the trigger trying to make his tunnel passable again, the forks go down and spike the little bastards. Worked every time.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We have voles here, which are like moles, and they feed on the juniper roots. I poison the little fu**ers with pellet poison they sell at the lawn and garden store. Seems to work, but have to repeat every 6 months. When we had a beagle, she would be out back hunting voles all day. After she died, we found out we had a problem....