CBR1100XX.org Forum

Draggin Jeans

Ordered and received my draggin jeans t-shirt, the yellow one, about 3 days and have been on a couple of rides. First off, the shirt was at my door in two days with no problems and emails let me know it was on its way. The fit is good and it is like no other shirt I have. It feels like a really light sweater, but is porous enough that you don't get warm when moving. I don't recommend it for a ride without some type of coat under 65 deg. F. The air goes right through it. It's good for layering though.

For those used to armor, it's hard to believe this stuff protects, but made out of Kevlar, it should work. I just hope to never find out. My main reason for getting it is due to having a coat that I don't think is durable enough for a good slide. By wearing this underneath it, my worries about the coat being peeled away diminish.

Seems like a good company with a good product. I would do business with them again.

Fly By

I'm not sure what this product is, never heard of it. But I find any claims of protection very suspect.

First off, Kevlar is NOT good for abrasion resistance. Aerostitch stopped using it, for example. It melts under friction heat, since it is extremely heat-sensitive. Kevlar is strong against pull/push/stretch, but not friction.

Secondly, what keeps that shirt in place? I recently saw a guy with one of the shittier mesh jackets (Teknic) get to go for skin grafts because the jacket just curled up under his back while he slide feet-first. What keeps this from happening with this shirt?

They've got a website that describes their products. Draggin Jeans.com

Thanks for the tip on the Kevlar. To be honest, I wasn't aware of the abrasion resistance issue. Secondly, the shirt just tucks in like a normal T-shirt so it curling up on a back slide is still a risk. The arms have velcro at the wrists and they have extra material on the elbows and shoulders. Those are really the only visual difference between it and a regular long sleeve shirt.

Two very good points. I definitely would not recommend this for a track day. For me, it's just another level of security under the jacket I already have for cruising around. And I probably wouldn't ride with just the shirt unless it was a really warm day. Just like the draggin jeans are supposedly better than jeans in a slide, the shirt is better than a T-shirt. But nothing beats leather.

• 3 weeks later...

Carlos, not sure where you're getting your data from, but in order to build up that amount of heat, you would have to be travelling really, really fast and for a long time. I've had two sets of crashes in their jeans, one of which i was sliding down the road kneeling at the time (diesel spill tossing me off). In that case, not a problem - just some mild friction burns to my knees, but the jeans themselves didn't disintegrate. Kevlar stayed in place, but the denim around it got trashed. The certainly hold up to whatever you're going to throw at them in normal circumstances. If doing 180mph with only the shirt on and no other protection, you've probably got other more serious things to consider first! Your whole "riding up your back" argument is not valid either - its the same issue as anyone not wearing a full one-piece suit is going to face - be it leather, cordura, kevlar etc. Just layers of protection.