CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX knocking

blackbd1

I don't have a knock at idle, but i do have a knock as soon as i get off idle, onto the throttle.

It clunks a few times, and then sounds normal. The idle was at about 1000 when i bought it. I just upped it to about 1300, and the sound went away. No more knocks/thuds/clunks, off idle.

• 8 months later...

Well here we are in June 2009 ! and I have a Blue Blackbird which has a leprechaun trying to get our.

He's ok as long as the revs are up - he hates idling - then he knocks at a nice even tempo.

I though it might be as a result of being late with an oil change but reading this it seems it may not.

I changed the oil but no different. Performs well.

The bike is never abused fast at time but rarely 'race starts'.

There is another thread on koncking which mentions 'open heart surgery' - scary!!!!!!!!

Any - greeting from Ireland once again - home of Obama (great great)x99 grandparent. :icon_angel:

He's ok as long as the revs are up - he hates idling - then he knocks at a nice even tempo.

My '99 sounded like it was knocking only at idle, but it was actually dropping a cylinder (missing) at idle. I could have sworn it was knocking. It cleaned up when I gave it throttle. The cause was a blown fuel pressure regulator, it sent raw fuel down a vacuum line into one of the intakes. It take 30 seconds to test if you have the right side off, just pull the vacuum line off the pressue regualtor and turn the key on, see if it drips.

Thanks - is this carb or inject - mine is injected.

The '99 is fuel-injected.

...and you'd have a really hard time finding the fuel pressure regulator on a carbed XX ;)

I`m so glad to see I`m not the only one with this problem! I have a 2000 and it`s had the knock/vibration/thud/noise since new. Hasn`t gotten any worse or any better and I`ve got almost 40k km on it. The noise goes away when you pull in the clutch but you can still feel the engine is slightly out of balance. Almost sounds like badly synched carbs. Could it be related to the cold start valves? One hanging up?

I`m so glad to see I`m not the only one with this problem! I have a 2000 and it`s had the knock/vibration/thud/noise since new. Hasn`t gotten any worse or any better and I`ve got almost 40k km on it. The noise goes away when you pull in the clutch but you can still feel the engine is slightly out of balance. Almost sounds like badly synched carbs. Could it be related to the cold start valves? One hanging up?

If the sound goes away when you pull in the clutch it is normal for a XX. Has a very heavy duty but noisy clutch.

• 1 month later...
WHERE is the 3rd balance shaft adjuster.

I can see the two on the right . . . . . . .

Dya haveta take something out - it seems to eb behind the drive sprocket????

Going quietly nuts !

Please

The front has one adjuster, the top has two because of the idle grer. Just follow the book on how to adjust. Complicated, not really.

You do have the book?. If not let us know.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

I've had this knock and its been so long I can't remember when it started. It's at idle with the clutch pulled in. You can feel it thru the handlebars. Only when the engine's hot. If I slowly raise the revs up I can detect it a little at 2,000 rpms. At 3,000 to 4,000 rpms, it might still be there but the the bike starts to vibrate and it's hard to tell. After 4,000 rpms the vibration subsides and there's no knock. I'm thinking of taking it in to a shop but l don't think they find can what it is. I have a 102, 000 miles on the bike. I just noticed this thread has been dead for 8 years. Anybody ever found out what the problem was?

Edited by XXBlackbird

@XXBlackbird Cam chain tensioner,  expense to replace a think there's an aftermarket one if you search the forum.  Easy fix and it's one of the only things  that ever go wrong with this bike.  The other is the test plug on the wiring harness if you have or have your FI light stay on.

10 hours ago, XXBlackbird said:

I've had this knock and its been so long I can't remember when it started. It's at idle with the clutch pulled in. You can feel it thru the handlebars. Only when the engine's hot. If I slowly raise the revs up I can detect it a little at 2,000 rpms. At 3,000 to 4,000 rpms, it might still be there but the the bike starts to vibrate and it's hard to tell. After 4,000 rpms the vibration subsides and there's no knock. I'm thinking of taking it in to a shop but l don't think they find can what it is. I have a 102, 000 miles on the bike. I just noticed this thread has been dead for 8 years. Anybody ever found out what the problem was?

That's the one!

http://bikebits.us/cct-lifter-set-p56.html

• 6 months later...

Great info on this topic.  I am a brand new Blackbird owner and noticed the "knock at idle" right away.  Same conditions that you all have reported.  I work as a marine engineer and have lots of mechanical backround.  My guess was a possible connecting rod bearing.  I was preparing to strip the engine down this winter and overhaul it(27000 miles).  I am gratified to see how many miles you can put on these machines without rebuilding them.  Especially such a high performance engine.  I guess now I can just skip it or maybe just overhaul it for fun.  The knocking noise is very annoying since it happens at stop lights.  Makes people think your on a pos.  BTW I love this freaking bird!  It stood up on me today pulling away hard from a stop sign-Whoohoo!

• Upvote 1

If it's the CCT the book says you need a tool to hold the plunger while installing it, I just use a small screwdriver holding it and the CCT in one hand while installing the mounting screws with the other.  If it slips it's no biggie, just rotate the screwdriver again to retract the plunger and continue with the installation.  Don't tighten the mounting screws while not holding the plunger or you could hurt something.

Other things that can cause an idle knock:  Loose valves, but that wouldn't go away with revs.  The clutch, pretty normal when the clutch is engaged and goes away when you squeeze the handle.  Carb/TB synch or anything else that causes a misfire or uneven power between different cylinders.  My '97 was pretty rattly but I could tell that the carbs had issues, once the carbs were synched it was buttery smooth.  It's hard to imagine the engine having mechanical problems with those miles unless it was abused or had some kind of defect.

8 hours ago, jon haney said:

Is it me?   I hope not.  People can be so judgmental.

:rolleyes: 

....no, AFAIKBZITE, redXXrdr is just wishful thinking.

Welcome abord arnedog.

My 2000 has it. It hasn't bothered me. It goes away at speed.