CBR1100XX.org Forum

Buying my first blackbird what should I look out for?

Big-V316

Hy Guys

I am new to the board and to the bike so I wanted to find out what things I should look for when buying a Blackbird. I am trying to find an FI model. I have seen some bike with after market paint jobs. Is that ok or are they painted to cover up a wreck? What about the electronics is there anyway to tell if the bike is in good electrical shape. I am not a walking money bag so when I get this bike I have to make sure I am getting one that will last me a good long while.

Thanks Big-V316

...when I get this bike I have to make sure I am getting one that will last me a good long while.

That should be easy.

I'd buy a bike which is stock. Unless the mods are in good shape, you already want them, and they're done well.

Assuming the bike runs and rides correctly, and the bodywork hasn't been damaged, I can't see you picking up a lemon. I'm sure they exist, but this is a very well put together motorcycle.

Depending where you are, another board member may be able to assist with a PPI for a bike you're looking at. Existing owners with mechanical aptitude are an excellent resource, and there are more than a few of those here at the forum.

Good luck in your search.

Hy Guys

I am new to the board and to the bike so I wanted to find out what things I should look for when buying a Blackbird. I am trying to find an FI model. I have seen some bike with after market paint jobs. Is that ok or are they painted to cover up a wreck? What about the electronics is there anyway to tell if the bike is in good electrical shape. I am not a walking money bag so when I get this bike I have to make sure I am getting one that will last me a good long while.

Thanks Big-V316

Beware that the 1999 and 2000 injection models can have a lot of problems with the main wiring loom. You can not see that without opening the loom. Just look out for strange behaviour of the F1 light on the dashboard, or other weird behaviour...

As an active memeber of the UK site and close friend of Jaws I question the appearance of this wiring loom problem here in the States.

It was rarely seen but did show-up in European models only. If there is anyone here on this site that has had to have a Loom replaced either under warrenty of at a cost, they need to speak up.

I have seen many "FI" problems but never one that involved the wiring loom replacement. I believe this was isolated to European models only.

If your FI problem is an intermittant light but no engine cutout problem.... then check your electrical grounds and the problem can be gotten rid of easily and permanantly as many have done.

Things to watch out for:

Cops (already mentioned)

Cupped tires (Already mentioned)

Gravel

Sand

Wet corners

Women driving SUV's

Any teens with cell phones (which is all teens)

The bike itself, there is little to nothing to worry but don't go for salvaged or beaten bikes unless you REALLY know your stuff, this would cause nothing but headaches.

As an active memeber of the UK site and close friend of Jaws I question the appearance of this wiring loom problem here in the States.

It was rarely seen but did show-up in European models only. If there is anyone here on this site that has had to have a Loom replaced either under warrenty of at a cost, they need to speak up.

I have seen many "FI" problems but never one that involved the wiring loom replacement. I believe this was isolated to European models only.

If your FI problem is an intermittant light but no engine cutout problem.... then check your electrical grounds and the problem can be gotten rid of easily and permanantly as many have done.

Yeah John, that's pretty much his problem. Intermittant light flickering, some times turning on the turn signals makes the FI light go off for a while, but she's still running strong with no problems. Think it's just a grounding issue? If so, where should we start to troubleshoot that?

Check the ECU for fault codes. Repair the faults, if any, and reset the ECU. I was having intermittent FI light issues and this fixed mine. (I had an IAT fault due to a bad connection. I think I failed to get the IAT sensor plugged in properly after a service.)

The light would not come on all the time, but seemed to glow randomly. I could turn it off by flashing the turn signals, honking the horn or turning on the high beam. That sounded just like a ground problem to me.

I checked and cleaned all the grounds I could find before doing the reset and still had the intermittent light. I pulled the harness apart where the plug has been corroding on the Euro models. Mine was clean and bright so I just put it back together.

There have been a couple of reports of corrosion on the site, but mine was not one of them. Try this tip and see if it fixes the problem.

i for one. have had a problem with the loom. twice. both times, fi and lights flashed, bike cutout. but the problem with the loom for me. was corrosion. cleaned and everything, went back to working normally. i posted on this matter. here.

oh yea mines a 99

• 1 month later...

a simple way to check for ground problem.

turn on lights/indicators - what ever shows problem with FI light, then run a wire from the battery earth to anything metal at the front end, if FI light goes out you have a simple earth problem, there is an earth under below tank on left, heavy red wire in black sleeve, you can see through the hole in left cowling, not much room but if you can remove philips screw and clean with sandpaper this should fix problem.

Others should post up here as that is a problem that has happened to many. Mine was the ground under the tank. I have heard that the ground block under the seat has caused it also.

FI flickering problem solvers SPEAK UP

Harness replacement cured my problems. Honda replaced the ECM under warranty but it didn't fix the problem. Another dealer called the Honda tech line and they had him run some tests on the harness which it failed. Harness replaced and no problems in 9000 miles.

My bike is also a flood damaged vehicle so that could have been a contributing factor.

I have had problems with the loom to, and I'm in a hot place al year.

F1 lite on after bikes got in temp.

problem solved when eliminated the big good for nothing plug.

question: has any one has have seen the F1 lite come on with the power comander? I had to remove the comander and the problem stop, send the comander to check at dyno jets

I have had problems with the loom to, and I'm in a hot place al year.

F1 lite on after bikes got in temp.

problem solved when eliminated the big good for nothing plug.

question: has any one has have seen the F1 lite come on with the power comander? I had to remove the comander and the problem stop, send the comander to check at dyno jets

Yes, my problem started a few weeks after installing the Power Commander. First I disconnected the new Powercommander, but that didn't help for long.....

Why do you ask?

• 1 month later...

not a major issue, took me 30mins to remove the connector and make my own using basic terminal block, but it was evident on my bike.