CBR1100XX.org Forum

Suspension questions.....

beondwacko

Forgive the ignorance on my behalf first.

I have read over and over that the forks / rear shock are a bit on the crappy side in stock configuration with the XX. Maybe I don't ride in a manner that is demanding enough with my bike , but , where ( in feel and perfomance ) are the shortcomings mostly felt? I don't get the chance anymore to put the bike into good turns regularly, and I'm still running the BT56 / 57 combo. The tires are just about done with , and Pilot Road's are going on for a replacement.

I have seen guy's going with the CBR900 rear shock refitted with an Eibach spring as a common upgrade. Also front springs with cartridges. I have not had the chance to ride anyone elses bike with suspension mods , so I really don't know first hand how bad what I have and am used to really is. Can someone shed some light on this a little bit please?

I just put the Hyper-Pro kit (Front Springs, and Rear Springs) in my bike, and all I have to say is that it is a totally new bike now. It turns better, tracks better is smoother and stays planted in the turns. The springs are progressive, so it is smooth on the road over the small stuff, but when you are flying through the turns it stiffens up, and makes the bike track really well.

Todd[

The stock springs are to soft. You get a lot of front end dive when you brake, and it is easy to bottom out the forks. (giving you no suspension at all) There is to much compression damping, so when you hit a sharp edged bump, the forks tend to pack, and the bump is passed right through the suspension to you.

I'm not a big fan of the 900RR shock conversion for a couple reasons.

1. These shocks are around 10 years old now, so, if you find one, it will probably need to be rebuilt. (This shock was not designed to be rebuilt, but it can be done)

2. It is almost impossible to find a stiff enough rear spring for this shock.

I'm not a big fan of the 900RR shock conversion for a couple reasons.

1.  These shocks are around 10 years old now, so, if you find one, it will probably need to be rebuilt.  (This shock was not designed to be rebuilt, but it can be done)

2.  It is almost impossible to find a stiff enough rear spring for this shock.

+1

And I have the CBR900 conversion. Much better than stock, tho. And I did have the thing rebuilt, recharged, etc.

I spent about $105 for the used shock. About $150 for the rebuild. About $165 for the Eibach. Totals $420? Cheaper than Ohlins, yes, but hell, bite the bullet, save up the cash and go Wilbers, Ohlins or some after market.

I DID have to screw around about the spring rate and add shims and finally got it right enough, even with bags.

Well guys , I do agree with the big point made here. The front end on these bikes do seem a little bit overly damped on initial compression. If I were to be able to reduce that ( especially durring highway cruising ) some comfort would be gained. I think that only once have I had to get on the brakes hard enough to almost full compress the front end though.

How much of a difference would be noticed with just a front end spring change and using a different weight oil ? Also , these cartridges that allow tuning , ,,, what brand are they , are they difficult to install, do the fork caps need replacing after the cartridges are installed , and how do you adjust them? I would definitely go for a slightly softer highway ride, but have a better feeling of control when the riding gets "busier". Thanks again for the insight.

I agree. Hyperpro is the way to go.

We have done a test, rebuilding 3 suspensions on 3 bikes to compair them. If you use the search-function you will find several statements.

The best value for money was the Hyperpro springs front and rear (and new oil in the front). If you can afford it, a complete new shock (adjustable) in the rear is preferrable, but pricey....

Hyperpro is introducing a new rear shock later this month (don't tell anybody, it is still a secret), which will be available for the Blackbird early 2006. They will be testriding it on my bike, and I get the set for a bargain....

I've seen and used several Hyperpro products now, and I am convinced they are the best around all over. In most magazines the Hyperpro steering-damper is considered the best by far....

In racing conditions the choice of a non-progressive spring (or 2-steps progressive) might be a better choice because it is more predictable and calculatable (is that even a word?), but on the streets the fully progressive spring only Hyperpro sells is better.

Check out http://www.hyperpro.com

The site is under construction, but most pages work....

I don't know the USa prices, sorry...

Here in Holland we use Euros, and for a complete set of 3 springs (2 in the front, 1 in the rear). a spacer and forkoil, we pay 230 Euros (about $ 290,--). You also get a free T-shirt and a few stickers...

The complete shock is not yet calculated. It will probably between 600 and 700 Euro......

Is this the shock you were referring to?

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat...ktype=Type%2040

Also, here is the US site - you can purchase direct!

http://www.hyperprousa.com

Enjoy - Consider this on my christmas list!!

We have done a test, rebuilding 3 suspensions on 3 bikes to compair them. If you use the search-function you will find several statements.

The best value for money was the Hyperpro springs front and rear (and new oil in the front). If you can afford it, a complete new shock (adjustable) in the rear is preferrable, but pricey....

Hyperpro is introducing a new rear shock later this month (don't tell anybody, it is still a secret), which will be available for the Blackbird early 2006. They will be testriding it on my bike, and I get the set for a bargain....

I've seen and used several Hyperpro products now, and I am convinced they are the best around all over. In most magazines the Hyperpro steering-damper is considered the best by far....

In racing conditions the choice of a non-progressive spring (or 2-steps progressive) might be a better choice because it is more predictable and calculatable (is that even a word?), but on the streets the fully progressive spring only Hyperpro sells is better.

This is not the new shock, this is the old one (and this type is not available for the BB). Look at page: http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat...ocks&make=Honda

Only type 40 and 41 are at the moment available for the BB.....

The new one will be introduced very soon, probably at the biggest motorcycleshow in the world in Milan Italy, end of November.

I am not allowed to tell you what has been changed in this shock, but it could very well be worth the wait.... Even if it is just because the older shocks will become cheaper.....

Here in Holland we use Euros, and for a complete set of 2 springs. a spacer and forkoil, we pay 230 Euros (about $ 290,--).......

Helvet, I think you mean complete set of front & rear springs, I bought the front ones for around 120 Euros here in Greece.

Here in Holland we use Euros, and for a complete set of 2 springs. a spacer and forkoil, we pay 230 Euros (about $ 290,--).......

Helvet, I think you mean complete set of front & rear springs, I bought the front ones for around 120 Euros here in Greece.

I stand corrected. I changed it in the posting now....

It will fit all models from 1996 up to 2005 (and probably 2006).

This is not the new shock, this is the old one (and this type is not available for the BB). Look at page: http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat...ocks&make=Honda

Only type 40 and 41 are at the moment available for the BB.....

The new one will be introduced very soon, probably at the biggest motorcycleshow in the world in Milan Italy, end of November.

I am not allowed to tell you what has been changed in this shock, but it could very well be worth the wait.... Even if it is just because the older shocks will become cheaper.....

All I want that the factory shock doesn't have is remote preload... (well, OK, compression damping would be nice, but isn't as big a deal)

Mike

The options mentioned are good alternatives. There are also several other options.

For fork springs, you might try Jaws, Racetech or Traxxion Dynamics. I'm sure there are others as well, but they don't spring to mind immediately. I'm using Jaws 1.05 kg/mm springs. The springs from Jaws are +100mm in length with shorter spacers. Check out his web site.

For rear shocks, you might consider Ohlins or Penske as alternatives. Several members seem happy with their Ohlins shocks. I have a Penske and love it. Traxxion Dynamics offers several versions of the Penske. It is also upgradeabe later if you choose.