CBR1100XX.org Forum

Grips don't "grip" anymore...

birdie_xx

My Pro Grip grips lost their grip.... :twisted:

They started to spin. I tried the hirspray, grip glue and WD40 (someone recommended it once), but they spin. I think the heatting elements damage the glue....

Any recomendation what glue I could use, that would be temperature resistant ?

Thanks,

Did you try KY?

It doesn't really help them stay on, but when they do come off...... :crazy:

:shock: I would be to tempted to lube it up and shove that in and out of a certain hole over and over repeadiatly till I tired myself out and fell asleep.

I agree on the 5 minute epoxy or maybe even try some high temp RTV silicone.

good 2 part glue + safety wire.You`ll get squid bonus points for safety wire.Anyway,who recommended WD40 ? :twisted: :twisted:

Might as well try that on your tires :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Really,2 part epoxy will do,but make sure to clean bars and grips with something like acetone before application,otherwise it won`t bond.

Safety wire them.

Ok... I'll expose my ignorance...

What is safety wire?

:lol: :wink:

If you really want somthing to safely put on your Motorcycle, then safety wire is your best bet. You see the pros wiring grips to there bars to make sure they don't come loose during a moto or arial stunt. Safety wiring is also an excellent way to prevent critical nuts and bolts from loosening. You'll find this method of securing fasteners pretty handy when it comes to foot pegs, suspension parts and calipers. You don't want to sacrifice a race because a tiny bolt feel out. When it is wired, there is no way it will come out until the wire is cut. Be sure, be secure.

Some tracks require it before you are able to run on their track. :wink:

Pretty much what Will said, Nik, but I'l expand on it a touch:

For grips, it involves wrapping a fine wire around them every inch or so and tieing it off nice and tight.

For nuts and bolts, you drill a small hole through the bolt past where the nut tightens down, then run wire through it and tie it off. Something that must remain tight won't stay tight, but a bolt that must remain in place in order to perform it's function (like something that connects brake linkage, etc) will not fall out even if it vibrates loose.

A picture is worth.......

49935654.jpg

Notice the fine wire in the grooves of the grips- safety wire.

Your grip is cupped! :eyebrows:

I used the PVC glue today when I finally got around to installing the Dual Star heated grips... Works great.

I tried the "grip glue". Worked o'kay, till I started to use the heating elements....

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try the epoxy or PVC.

I just tried the PVC glue with my heated grips... So far so good...