CBR1100XX.org Forum

What kind of H7 bulb do we have?

testrider

Hi all,

I was looking at Kisan's headlight modulator and I was told by Kisan that there are 2 types of H7: European and Japanese and therefore they have different types of modulator. The distance between the pins on the European bulb is 12mm and the Japanese H7 pins are wider.

Which H7 is on the XX? Mine is a 1997 if that matters.

Thanks.

-mike-

PS: Mine is a california model.

Huh? :-)

I didn't know that either as that's what they said. They have 1 model of modulator that's plug-and-play (for Japanese H7) and another model for European H7 that requires cut and rewire.

I want to make sure that I get the right one.  

Any info?

It is the plug and play one. Notice if you go to their site and look up our bike it comes back as the H3, not H7. When I ordered mine, I had to call them and tell them what I wanted, not the bike I had. It takes about 1 minute to install it if you are good at using your fingers in tight places. :twisted:

http://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?...p?product=P115W

Do you mean that both European H7 and Japanese H7 fit to your bike? That's amazing... :-)

No...... I don't even know if Japanese H7's exist, but I can buy any H7 bulb and it fits.....

Either you guys are taking a piss at me/us (most likely...), or they mount European style bulbs here....

Bulb is 12mm between pins. But....the adapter that comes on the XX has the contacts on the harness side at 16mm (same as the two parallel contacts on an H4, BTW).

This explains the need for that little adapter ring we've all been cutting up to install HID kits, without it you could run a "Japanese" H7.

Redbird, thanks for clearing this up! H7 is H7 anywhere!

I checked with Ron Ayers and there is some sort of adapter on the end of our bulbs.

Has anybody tried Osram 65W H7??? Only $24 each plus shipping!

Order them from this site: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/product...s/products.html

Look most the way down the page for them!

This guy is THE expert in lighting! Read his articles in the tech section!

I e-mailed him about this and just dont know how to post his reply here :(

His phone # is 416-766-2327

I'm ordering a pair tomorrow.

Dave

• 6 months later...

Huh? :-)

I didn't know that either as that's what they said. They have 1 model of modulator that's plug-and-play (for Japanese H7) and another model for European H7 that requires cut and rewire.

I want to make sure that I get the right one.  

Any info?

It is the plug and play one. Notice if you go to their site and look up our bike it comes back as the H3, not H7. When I ordered mine, I had to call them and tell them what I wanted, not the bike I had. It takes about 1 minute to install it if you are good at using your fingers in tight places. :twisted:

http://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?...p?product=P115W

sonofabitch - the p115W is the one i just sold with my Magna - figured the XX would be different due to having separate hi/lo bulbs.. Oh well, I got a pretty penny for the bike, I'll call it "profit", LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

So do I need to buy an adaptor to use a "normal" H7 bulb?

I just went to the autopart stores around here (New York) and all the H7's were the small width.

I'd rather not go get raped at the Honda dealship and would like to "upgrade" to something like a silverstar, etc.

The adapter is already on the bike. You can use a standard H7 bought at your local AutoZone no problem.

OK.....maybe I'm just slow...... :icon_duh:

I did buy them. But they were too narrow to fit into the socket on my 'bird.

And that socket just had two wires going into it. I did not see anything resembling an adaptor.

The bulbs currently in my 'bird are spaced farther apart than th ebulbs I find at the nearby stores.

Is it possible the adapters are still on the bulbs? It'll be a fairly unobtrusive black ring of plastic.

If you remove the bulbs from the housing you'll see what I mean. If you just unplug the harness from the back of the housing, then no, they won't line up. The adapter is clipped into the housing along with the bulb.

Number five....

IPB Image

Is it possible the adapters are still on the bulbs? It'll be a fairly unobtrusive black ring of plastic.

If you remove the bulbs from the housing you'll see what I mean. If you just unplug the harness from the back of the housing, then no, they won't line up. The adapter is clipped into the housing along with the bulb.

Number five....

IPB Image

He he....I see said the blind man!

THANKS!