CBR1100XX.org Forum

Euro switches and HID

UncleJake

Like a number of guys here, I'm getting in on the HID group buy, both beams. I've seen a lot of references to the Euro style switch assemblies, with a flash to pass trigger on the left and a headlight ON/OFF/PARK switch on the right.

I think this wold work really well with the HID lights as you could turn the lights off for start-up and not tax the electrical system. It would also prevent the HID lights cycling ON/OFF at start up. (On with the key, then off/on when you thumb the starter.)

The question is, does anyone have a source for the Euro switches or has anyone put their own switches together?

Thanks, UJ

You can try here....

http://www.blackbirdspares.co.uk/identify/index.html

But I'd become a good friend of someone in Europe and try to get the parts from a junkyard.... :twisted: :wink:

Check here too...

http://bb.superblackbird.info/

http://www.ixxra.com/

I was thinking about the same mode, but haven't done anything yet....

Good luck !

You can try here....

http://www.blackbirdspares.co.uk/identify/index.html

But I'd become a good friend of someone in Europe and try to get the parts from a junkyard.... :twisted: :wink:

Check here too...

http://bb.superblackbird.info/

http://www.ixxra.com/

I was thinking about the same mode, but haven't done anything yet....

Good luck !

Thanks. I'll post when I get it figured out (might be awhile).

-UJ

Just a couple of silly questions/comments on the Euro switchs and HIDs...

If you install HIDs in both the lo and hi beams... Do you really want to "flash" the hi beam? It does take a few seconds for the bulb to fire up and get near the right output/temp (in this case F or C not K)... I've found that the HID lo beam just in itself is enough to get most cagers attention when approaching from behind.

And is the on/off switch that important to you? On my '99 'Bird the headlights are temporarily cut out when I hit the started switch... Rendering the need for a on/off switch redundant at best.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but I'm curious about your need.

And is the on/off switch that important to you? On my '99 'Bird the headlights are temporarily cut out when I hit the started switch... Rendering the need for a on/off switch redundant at best.

It would be nice to leave the lights off at startup. The way it's setup on U.S. bikes the lights come on when you turn the key on, then go off when you thumb the starter, then come on again when the bike fires and you release the starter. Two start up cycles for the bulb everytime you start the bike, which I'm told isn't good for bulb life.

Being able to just fire up the lights once after the bike is running would be a big plus, IMO.

It would be nice to leave the lights off at startup. The way it's setup on U.S. bikes the lights come on when you turn the key on, then go off when you thumb the starter, then come on again when the bike fires and you release the starter. Two start up cycles for the bulb everytime you start the bike, which I'm told isn't good for bulb life.

Being able to just fire up the lights once after the bike is running would be a big plus, IMO.

Good point... I didn't even think about the on - off - on cycle of the lights when starting...

Search on the internet for breakers yards in the UK.

THere are a afew of them with good online service who will ship outside of the UK.

Since switches are cheap it won't cost much.

The other option is that when I return to the UK in October for a week or so I could go around the breakers yards and collect the switches stick them in my suitcase and return to Thailand and hold them until you come out here to pick them up on holiday. :P

Exactly. I'm looking more for the ON/OFF/PARK switch than for the FTP switch. But I may as well get both if I can find them. I'd probably hook the FTP up to something else (forward facing strobe? wig/wag fog lights?air horn that plays "Dixie"? :D )

The other option is that when I return to the UK in October for a week or so I could go around the breakers yards and collect the switches stick them in my suitcase and return to Thailand and hold them until you come out here to pick them up on holiday.

Hmm... I wonder if the wife would go for that? "Honey, I need to run to Thailand to pick up some parts for the bike, I'll try not to get too many hookers." :D/

-UJ

If you want, I can set it up for you guys......

The UK is just way too expensive for parts....

An electrical set for left and right handlebar will cost you used about $ 50 to $ 100 i.m.o.

You're right, I just found a few sets and they were all about $50 per side. I'd be interested in what you may be able to find, used or new. Please don't spend too much time or effort looking for the parts though, its not that big of a deal. A quick internet search would be fine.

Thanks -UJ

What you guys may like to consider is a rocker switch and some halogen lamps on your forks similar to the ones Arcticflipper has installed

normal_DSC02771.JPG

this will allow a flash of the halogens without affecting the HID unless you turn the rocker switch to select the HID specifically.

me, personally... I wondered about this, so I tried it... I just hold the starter button in and THEN turn on the ignition... starts the bike right away and with only one turn on of the bulb... of course, I can do this because I've got a carb'd bird... FI birds may not start up as quickly as normal if the fuel pump doesn't have time to get the system up to pressure before thumbing the starter...

Mike

Guest rockmeupto125

The switch doesn't pass the current for the fuel pump. The fuel pump just comes on when the circuit is initially triggered, and is switched by the ECM. It has its own power/control circuit.

• 4 weeks later...

The trick barton mentioned works with FI, I tried it a few times. The bike does crank for a second longer than normal as the pump primes, but the bulb only switches on once.

Another option is to turn on the key and let the bulb warm up. Then once the bulb is at full temp (about 20 seconds) start the bike. The on/off cycling is not harmful to the bulb when it is at full operating temp. It is only detrimental when you turn it on and it has to ignite and warm from a cold state. At least that's what I've read about HID.

I have my hid low relay triggered off of the tail light , it doesn't go off when you hit the starter. I have a delay circuit i built that im planning on

installing between the tailight and relay, so have 20 or 30 seconds to start it before the headlight comes on .

Herb

I have my hid low relay triggered off of the tail light , it doesn't go off when you hit the starter. I have a delay circuit i built that im planning on

installing between the tailight and relay, so have 20 or 30 seconds to start it before the headlight comes on .

Herb

Herb