CBR1100XX.org Forum

Changing to an R1 Rectifier/regulator - help.

Hookman49

After some searching here I found this link.

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bikes/...eg_replace.html

I must be blind, but I can't find out what year or part# from the R1 I need to order.

Can anyone help? Looks fairly easy to do this swap.

Ken

Is this for all years of XX? Mine is a 97.

Yes, I just put the exact part on my '97 and it was a no brainer. You'll have to expand the holes on the R1 reg/rec to fit the mounting holes on your Bird's subframe.

Remove the clips from the old plug and slip them directly onto the new part. Follow the image below and you can't go wrong...

wrapped_connectors.jpg

• 2 months later...
All 3 of the back row are the yellow wires from the stator.  Doesn't matter what order you plug them in.

Yep, what he said.

Notice that one had an elongated hole on one side. No opening up of the hole required. Bolted right up.

Yes, you can use the stock connectors.

The red and green wires connect as shown, but it doesn't matter in which order you put the yellow wires.

In fact, I only pulled the red and green from the white plastic clip and then used a dremel to cut it in half, leaving the yellow wires intact. If you spin it 180 it will fit right in the R1 R/R. Then you only have the red and green wires to deal with.

I have absolutely no clue as to why I did it this way. I guess I like using the dremel. :?

45 bucks from university motors...see the vendor review section for the link and avoid Ron Ayers like the plague...Oh an the R1 regulator wouldnt work on 99 and above without cutting the harnes...

On a related note didnt Honda switch back to the single connector in 03 or something like that?

regulator wouldnt work on 99 and above without cutting the harnes...

I didn't cut the harness on my '99. Just cut the connectors of the old stock R/R and used spades to hook them to the R1 Reg. You do have to solder the 2 hot leads into one, same with the ground. Seems to work fine so far.

I just ordered a R1 regulator from Ron Ayers.

You said "soldered 2 hot leads", what 2 hot leads? I thought I saw the stock RR has 5 wires and the connections to R1 regulator also have 5 wires. Could you give more details? Thanks!

You won't have the problem with the '97. With the '99 (and I think '00 and up) Honda wired 2 hot wires to the reg and 2 ground wires. If you look at the schematic, they join in the wiring harness so it must have something to do with the design of the Honda r/r.

Again, just plug the wires according to the picture in this thread, you'll be fine.

I just ordered a R1 regulator from Ron Ayers.

You said "soldered 2 hot leads", what 2 hot leads? I thought I saw the stock RR has 5 wires and the connections to R1 regulator also have 5 wires. Could you give more details? Thanks!

You won't have the problem with the '97. With the '99 (and I think '00 and up) Honda wired 2 hot wires to the reg and 2 ground wires. If you look at the schematic, they join in the wiring harness so it must have something to do with the design of the Honda r/r.

Again, just plug the wires according to the picture in this thread, you'll be fine.

Mike how did you connect the black wire? I recently tried to use a 99 RR on my 97 but it didnt work so i thought it might be because the black wire wasnt connected to something

Mike how did you connect the black wire? I recently tried to use a 99 RR on my 97 but it didnt work so i thought it might be because the black wire wasnt connected to something

I just cut the black wire and taped it. As noted in the link above, the black wire doesn't seem to do anything important (at least that I've noticed). I did use an '01 R1 R/R not a '99. I don't know if there's a difference or not. One thing I did notice is that the R1 doesn't allow nearly as much voltage to go to the battery. The old Honda unit ran at about 14.3-14.6 volts at 3000rpm. The R1 unit doesn't seem to get above 13.9v. The consensus on the board was that this is ok and so far it seems to work.

No i mean i tried a 99 XX regulator when i purchased the 99 XX stator thinking it would be good to help regulate the extra juice. It didnt work well at all, something like 18v, I thought maybe it had something to do with the black wire...at least all it did was pop the headlights...as for the R1 regulator I am BACK to using it and both previous units put out the 13.9v and thats all ya need

• 3 years later...

"You won't have the problem with the '97. With the '99 (and I think '00 and up) Honda wired 2 hot wires to the reg and 2 ground wires. If you look at the schematic, they join in the wiring harness so it must have something to do with the design of the Honda r/r. "

So with an R1 install on a '99, can you plug the outputs (Red and Green) into one of the two connections for each of these and let the upstream connection handle getting the power around?

So with an R1 install on a '99, can you plug the outputs (Red and Green) into one of the two connections for each of these and let the upstream connection handle getting the power around?

My (00) stock R/R had two red wires, two green wires, three yellow (to stator), and one black wire.

Connected both the green wires from the stock R/R connector (Clipped from the bad R/R of course), both red wires to the single green and red wires respectively on the Yamaha R/R pigtail connector I got from Mike on this site, the black wire I had connected with the green wires but that was a mistake and I capped it off after burning out 2 fuses for the starter relay, the yellows connect as the same as stock to the stator, I reused both of the stock connectors from my stock R/R as I clipped them from the bad R/R to aid in connecting to the stator and stock wiring harness as the stock unit does.

So far so good I'm charging as it should, I will be going back into it later to clean it up the connections to my liking but it's doing it's job as it should now.

• 3 years later...

Well, I JUSt finished installing the R1 regulator.... and its a NO worky.

It's not charging... but the yellow wires are getting H O T !

I've checked every back issue/topic yada yada.... and nothing explains whats going on...

Now I'm frustrated and pist-off.

Found this... it's not encouraging.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...lator+rectifier

My wiring looks just like the what Mitch posted, in his thread...

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=77642

I'm at a loss ....

Any quick advise would really be appreciated.

Important Information

Terms of Use