CBR1100XX.org Forum

Considering HID

StPeteXX

I am considering an HID conversion for my low beam.

I have been looking on Ebay. For those in the know, can you check this auction out and let me know if this is any good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10000K-McCu...996255531QQrdZ1

It comes with two sets of everything if anyone would like to go in halves with me.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Rich

I have the same kit for my bird, 6000k output, i believe. it is well worth the money, and to give you an idea, the low beam is so bright, if you turn on the high beam in a regular halogen, you can't even see it light up anything in front of you. I got mine from xenonking.com and it was $160 for one kit iirc. the 6k is blue without looking ricer. I might have some pics i can dig up...

Rich I've been looking at all the guys posts about HID too and really been giving it some thought. If that kit is a plug and play and I don't have to do any modding, I might be interested in splitting the kit with you. Waiting to see what the differences are between the various kits (6K, 8K, 10K etc).

Rich,

I am being the hard ass here !! I want the bright light for best visability and am not concerned with the tint of the light. The blue tint looks cool on the Beemers but I don't like Beemers anyway. !!

If I am going to spend 150.00 on lighting I want the brightest I can get. In fact I want to be able to blind the freckin Beemers !!!!!!

Maybe I should just get both high and low 5000k kit and go bmer hunting after dark :)

Rich I've been looking at all the guys posts about HID too and really been giving it some thought.  If that kit is a plug and play and I don't have to do any modding, I might be interested in splitting the kit with you.  Waiting to see what the differences are between the various kits (6K, 8K, 10K etc).

From what I have read, the higher the K, the lower the acutal light output. You get more color with the higher K. I am leaning very much towards the 8K set. Light output is still very good and it has the color of the higher end import cars, not the ricey-blue tinted bulbs.

Any other input would be great.

Rich

The 5000k is the truest white light with 3200 lumins

The 6000k is white with a slight purple tint and 2800 lumins

The 8000k is blue tinted with 2500 lumins

The 10000k is deep blue with purple tint and 2200 lumins

etc etc

I want to go Beemer hunting after dark and blind those blue tinted posers !! :D

The 5000k is the truest white light with 3200 lumins

The 6000k is white with a slight purple tint and 2800 lumins

The 8000k is blue tinted with 2500 lumins

The 10000k is deep blue with purple tint and 2200 lumins

etc etc

I want to go Beemer hunting after dark and blind those blue tinted posers !!   :D

John how does that compare with the stock bulb output in lumins?

I am not sure how to compare the difference but many have done the change on this board and the difference is significant. I have looked at others with HID and they are wicked bright !! There were some comparison pic's posted a while back but not sure if they are still accessible.

Hopefully others will speak up now that have done the HID thing !!

John/Rich,

I might be interested in sharing a set of these, but i'm with you on this John, i'd go for the one with max light output, not bothered what colour they are. A recent ride home in the dark reinforced this view, when I realised how crap the standard light output is.

Are there any issues with these drawing excess power etc over originals, don't want to screw up anything else by fitting these????

Pete

6k is a good compromise. enough blue to look killer, still MORE than enough light. Keep in mind that most halogen bulbs put off less than 1000 lumens. Watts are only how much power is being drawn (iirc). The kit that you are looking at pulls 35w. So, you get more light and use less power (read: better on the stator and r/r). I have not had any problems at all. no melting, no hot spots, no drivers flashing me. I have the pics that i could find and will upload them shortly.

ok....here is the back of the headlight with the HID installed. it fit almost like it was designed to be there.

the small black plastic ring had to be filed a little bit to fit, but it wasn't too hard...

normal_DSCN1947.JPG

I did not modify any of the wiring on the motorcycle. I carry a spare H7 bulb, plug, and retainer ring in case something were to happen to this bulb, i could swap the plug, put in the stock bulb, and not be without a headlight.

here is a pic of the bulb in the housing turned off.

normal_DSCN1949.JPG

ballast and igniter. ballast is small enough to fit behind the dash on my 2001 and not interfere with anything. it's 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1 (inches) (approx)

normal_DSCN1951.JPG

this is probably the best picture to show color. note it is blue, and very bright.

normal_DSCN1953.JPG

other pics in my gallery. i will take some more tonight if i remember and post them tomorrow. I hope this helps those who were asking.

The difference is literally night and day. On my recent trip to Vegas, my family was in the cage in front of me, and multiple times i was told that my headlight was giving them more visibility.

Trust me, you won't be disappointed in the results.

Ok, I'm all over it.

Who wants to go in halves with me and how do you want to work it?

How much disassembly of the bike is involved. I've yet to replace a bulb on my XX, so I haven't ventured that far into it. Hopefully it will not involve removing the gauges, since I did the digital conversion, I do not want to upset anything by removing that.

Rich

as far as disassembly, i took off the nose. it made it much easier. i think plasticxxhead put them in without removing the nose, but i don't like hand cramps. ymmv.

Now, if you don't have anyone else going in with you on these, i was thinking of making my high beam HID as well. I am in, but I also know John was interested in going in halves with you as well. He was on it first, so let him have first shot at it.

Hell, i might even just buy another pair and have one for parts if something happens to the other kit. either way, just let me know.

I too installed an HID kit on my 01' XX. I opted though to mount the ballasts ( 2 ) on either sides of the bike under the fairings on the sides of the frame. It is a McCullough brand kit I got on Ebay w/5300K lamps. My kit used seperate starters, and those I mounted under the instrument cluster. On the McCullough kit , there was 3 feet of leads the ballasts to the starter , and another 3 feet from the starter to the lamp socket. The most difficult part of the job was to figure out where to mount everthing with out disasembling the whole front end , and why the lamps were not being held securely by the headlight bulb retaining clip. It seems that the base of the lamp (HID) is shorter in height than the halogen that was in there and the clip was not pressing against the base with any pressure. I took a spark plug boot, sliced the end off ( about 3/16" long ) and put another cut in the boot so I could slip it onto the base of the lamp. That did the trick. The clip held firm after that and the lamps stayed in proper orientation with the reflectors.  

I would suggest that for most riders, that they do not install this kit on the High Beams like I did. The reason why is because if you ever use the high beams to warn traffic or as flash to pass, there is a required warm up time to get to full brightness. That takes about 15 seconds. But, if you ever wished that you could burn the retnas of the cage in front of you through their rear view miror,,,,,, they work great on Hi beam too

I'm not shittin' anyone about this deal. The High beam is wicked bright. Be warned though. When riding 2 up ,,, it will put the low beam a little high. I constantly get flashed be oncoming traffic as if my High beams were on. I used a 5300K lamp in my kit. It's almost pure white when the lamp get up to temp. Just remember..... if you do the upgrade on the highbeam,,,, you'll no longer be able to use it as a "flash to pass". None of the HID makers reccomend that you rapidly cycle the power to those units.

Now I have to figure out how I'm gonna install a Diesel Locomotive horn

and not make it obivious.

P.S. I paid $209 w/shipping from HIDSUPERMSN on e-bay for my kit, and I'd reccomend that because of space constraints that you use a kit with a seperate starter, not an integrated one. It allows for more flexability in the mounting of the kit. Any other questions ,,, just ask.

Adam