CBR1100XX.org Forum

modify a stock exhaust

trucker

well look, tell me does it really make a difference going to a single aftermarket can as opossed to keeping the twin.........one part of me really likes the single because of the way it would be so much easier to clean around the wheel, but is there any kind of performance/center stand sacrifice.

You actually get more power from a single sided exhaust system. It doesn't have the sharp bend to split it into two pipes and is straighter. There are brackets that can be purchased to keep the centerstand with the 4-1 exhaust as well. See the for sale section.

Have found that on 2002 and upwards FI bikes there is a flatspot arounf 5000 Rpm when you fit a 4 into 1, while if you keep the 4 into 2 the flat spot isn't there. I don't know if this affects all models worldwide, but it does affect the ones in South Africa.

I like the wheelburrow effect with the 2 pipes.... lol

Just take the cans off. It'll knock about 20lbs off the bike and will set off car alarms a block away, the lifesaving potential is endless.

You know, Tim...

I wouldn't have believed you, but since you have 5000 + posts, and are a moderator, I know that you've got to be telling the truth.

;)

hehe

i drilled the stock cans (6 holes per can) and thought it was cool... but then all my friends said it sounded like a rotten exhaust, so... first i sealed the holes with high-temp 'gum'.... LAter i got myself aluminium feather weight cans... What a difference (weight, sound and clearance!!!!)

When I bought my 97 the PO had a single-sided Two Brothers dual can setup on it. He had pulled about half the glass out of each one. When I looked at it initially, I was convinced I was going to switch it out for a stock system.

....then I started it up. When at idle it's got a decent grumble to it, not high pitched, and definately a far cry from a Harley. At speed it's louder, but never annoyingly so. People can hear me coming, and turn to watch (which is nice, at least when they aren't holding a radar gun.) But it's not so loud that anyone thinks it's obnoxious, other than the guy riding directly behind me. My friend says it gets to be a bit much when your in my wake for more than half an hour.

You can see the setup in my gallery.

Ben

• 10 months later...

I have to agree, loud pipes save lives. I know i know, it really annoys the hell out of people, but on my Ducati Monster, people could hear me coming a long way back and were always looking at me in their rearview. On my bird, even with staintunes (Australian), I feel much more vulnerable to cagers...

Leaving your safety to the fact that you have loud pipes on your bike and depending on others to react approriatly to your presence as a result of that sound is, to be nice about it, somewhat foolish. In fact, I would prefer that others don't know that I'm there till I'm gone. Maintaining proper position on the road and anticipating cage driver's actions is easier that way. I treat riding in traffic as pretty much the same exercise as running full speed through a herd of cows. Read the flow and get through the tight and slow spots causing the least disturbance to the stupid bovines will keep you from getting stepped on or shat upon. Just my $0.02.

I have to agree, loud pipes save lives. I know i know, it really annoys the hell out of people, but on my Ducati Monster, people could hear me coming a long way back and were always looking at me in their rearview. On my bird, even with staintunes (Australian), I feel much more vulnerable to cagers...

According to the Hurt report is was determined that 77% of motorcycle accident hazards come from in front of the rider, while only 3% approach from the rear. What's interesting here is that motorcycle pipes direct the vast majority of sound backwards where the least danger is, so for loud pipes to be truly effective safety measures they would need to be pointed forward where the greatest danger lies.

Leaving your safety to the fact that you have loud pipes on your bike and depending on others to react approriatly to your presence as a result of that sound is, to be nice about it, somewhat foolish. In fact, I would prefer that others don't know that I'm there till I'm gone. Maintaining proper position on the road and anticipating cage driver's actions is easier that way. I treat riding in traffic as pretty much the same exercise as running full speed through a herd of cows. Read the flow and get through the tight and slow spots causing the least disturbance to the stupid bovines will keep you from getting stepped on or shat upon. Just my $0.02.

he did not say he was leaving his safety to loud pipes (what a stupid post) the point here is - anything that improves safety is very welcome, we ride with lights on.......is that relying on your lights for safety ??

every little helps

PS, sound travels forward too

I was busy refuting the loud pipes save lives thing. By even making such a silly statement, you imply belief that loud pipes are somehow contributing to your safety. I think you will find I am far from stupid and probably have more experience riding on the street than you will ever acquire. I passed the million mile lifetime mark about 12 years ago.

Sound does, indeed, travel forward but when directed backward, the majority of it will go that way. What you hear when sitting on your bike comes mostly from sound reflected off the pavement and not much travels forward to reach the ears of a car driver. That is particularly true here in the civilized world where most vehicles on the road are running with their windows closed and climate control systems on, not to mention stereo system, cell phone, screaming kids and other distractions.

Assuming the car driver even does hear you coming, you are giving far to much credit to think that one will be able to determine your position and closing rate from sound alone (ever wonder why your ears are shaped like cups to catch noise from the front?). Then you further have to hope that the car driver will react to the sound of you approaching in a positive way. One would hope, do nothing, but I have seen quite a few folks, when startled by the sound of a loud motorcycle in their proximity, swerve and not necessarily away from the bike (see earlier about detecting direction of sound).

There is even some argument that headlights can act to our detriment. Many drivers use the change of apparant spacing between headlights to judge the speed of approaching vehicles and we, with single front lights present them with no useful information other than a slight increase in conspicuity. The number of accidents that include both a driver turning in front of an approaching motorcyclist and followed by the "I didn't see him" pretty much says that you could ride down the road with a flaming rocket stuck up your ass and drivers are still as likely to turn in front of you as not. A motorcycle is not seen by many drivers as much of a physical threat to them and they thus tend to ignore our very presence.

Sealth is your best friend. Beside how can anyone hear you with the 1000 watt sound systems they put in cars now a days