CBR1100XX.org Forum

Torque Specs!!!

Dragun Slayer

Does anyone happen to know what the torque spec for the rear axle nut is. I do not really care to over torque the axle and create problems further down the road. I only ask because it always seemed that I was replacing the front wheel bearings in my Magna and this might have been attributed to the fact that I never really knew what the torque should have been.

Thanks,

That is what I thought it would be close to since I used the torquee wrench to break it loose just to get an idea of the spec encase it took a while to get a response.

I have to say that all the other message forums I have attended, never had such quick responses. I think I am really going to enjoy this forum and site.

Is it just me or does the chain losen up rather quickly if the axle is only tourqed to 69?

I've never had a problem. Are you tightening up the 8mm ajusters after you're done torqing the axle? I seem to recall someone having a problem like you're decribing and that being the culprit....it's been awhile, though, and I might be wrong :???:

69 ft. lbs. at 70 it blows a rod. :razz:

BTW NEVER loosen bolts with a torque wrench. It will throw your calibration off. And the loosening spec. you get won't match the correct tightening spec. anyway.

I can't see at 69 that your axle is slipping. It all gets pinched between the swingarm.

I normally just adjust the bolts evenly on both sides to draw the wheel back (leave them in place) and then torque down the axle.

I'll have to bring the torque wrench in to work and see if the Calibration guys will check it out.

I've never had a problem. Are you tightening up the 8mm ajusters after you're done torqing the axle? I seem to recall someone having a problem like you're decribing and that being the culprit....it's been awhile, though, and I might be wrong

I'm confused. What good would it do adjusting the 8mm adjusters after tightening the axle nut? They wouldn't adjust anything anyway, correct?

Joe

Wouldn't ajust anything, no, but it'd snug things up to make sure your axle won't move at all. You obviously can't torque them before the axle's tightened, you'd just move them and throw the chain out of whack. So you get them where you want them, tighten the axle, then tighten the ajusters. That's how I do mine, anyway :)

Once the axle nut is tight the 8mm bolts don't do anything, just snug them tight so you don't loose your settings.

You guys do know to use that C-clip to mark your flats on the 8mm bolts?

Once you're alligned you count flats on the bolts to keep wheel alligned.

You guys do know to use that C-clip to mark your flats on the 8mm bolts?  

Once you're alligned you count flats on the bolts to keep wheel alligned.

Come again :shock: I've puzzled over those c-clips (if that's what they're called) but hadn't figured them out. So what do I do with them???

Is this one of those moments when you've been shoving against the door for ten minutes only to find the 'Pull' sign near the handle! :oops:

My bad for thinking Honda might have put s/th on the bike for no particular reason :oops: :oops: :oops:

That's a good use for the C-clips, Pete. Never thought of that.

They aren't completely useless, however. They are used to hold the axle adjusters (the shiney part with the nice little chain-wear indicator sticker on it) on to the swingarm when the axle is removed. If you remove the C-clip then the adjuster slides right off of the 8mm bolt.