CBR1100XX.org Forum

Replacing Window with French door

SLyFoXX

Are you cutting into a load bearing wall? If so, you'll need to build a temporary wall. Find out which way the floor joists run (if there is a floor above) or trusses if you are in a ranch house. If they run parallell with the wall you are cutting into you are fine. If they run perpendicular into the wall you are cutting into, you will need to build a temporary support wall.

Any electric or plumbing or hvac in that wall?

You'll need to plan to move all that if there is.

Assuming its not the load bearing wall and no wires or pipes or air returns etc. (or you've already moved them)

The first thing I would do is get the inside prepped. Remove the drywall/insulation etc. I removed the drywall on the entire wall, but you can just cut it back to the studs you won't be removing. Run a router up and down the stud to remove the drywall without damaging the drywall you'll be keeping. Later you'll want to add a stud next to that stud so you have a nailer for your drywall.

After you've got the inside cleaned up :arrow:

You'll want to build your header first. Outside in the yard or driveway. (assuming you'll have enough room to carry the header in the house) If you won't, build the header in the room you are going to put the door. Once you have the header built, measure it, and use that to figure out your opening.

If you aren't sure how to make the header, I'll make you a drawing. But the new door should come with a paper that tells you what size your rough opening should be. Obviously make sure the header is square.

I install the header inside before i cut my siding or sheathing. So start on the inside.

Holding the new header up to the wall on the inside, mark where you'll need to cut the studs. (leave yourself a little room to spare) Saw-zall the studs at approx the height of the top of the header where you made your marks.

Put the header in, nail it down. Then along the top where you cut studs to fit the header, pair up a 2x4 with the old remaining stud. (I even used a pry bar to put some upward force on the old stud) and then nail or screw support 2x4's on each side so the header will take the weight.

After the header is installed on the inside then I drilled holes at the corners from the inside out. This gave me the points outside. Then I went outside and chalked or penciled the lines where I wanted to cut.

Turn the blade of a skil-saw backwards and it will cut right through siding (if you have aluminum or vinyl siding) if you have wood siding just cut regular with a skil-saw.

I also think I used a sawz-all for part of it. The header frame will be your guide.

Now you have your opening and you can install the door. Shimming where neccesary.

Use expanding foam in all the cracks (use the stuff for windows/doors so you don't bind your door if it over expands)

Trim the outside, drywall the inside.

Its more complicated at each step, but if you have any specific questions, I'll take a shot at them.

Not knowing how much of this you already knew, or what you don't I just kinda grazed over some things.

If you want, take some pictures before you start and let us see before you start to cut.

I am going to tackle this this weekend

Here is a picture where I am going to remove the excisting window and replace with French doors.

normal_Window.JPG

I think I found a great deal on the french door. It is a wood frame door with fiberglass clade (I think that is what you call it) for $400 and all the hardware. I saw the same door at home depot for $2385.

Well, that's a BIG window, so it already has a header. Will your door fit the same width as that window? (and height)

if your door is the same witdth and height as that window your job just got REALLY REALLY easy. (or if it is smaller) If your new door is wider then the existing window you will probably have to build a new header. (unless its just a tiny bit wider, then you can cheat a little) (just don't tell the building inspector) I assume you aren't going to pull a building permit (I wouldn't) Assuming you don't need to make a new header, I don't think you'd need a bp anyway. If you do have to make a new header you would, but anyway.

If your new door and frame fit, You can use the existing header, you won't need to build a temp wall or anything.

Remove the trim all around the window.

Remove the base-board trim also.

If you have a sawz'all that would be really helpful. Once the trim around the window is removed, remove the window itself. Easiest way is to use a metal cut blade and saw'zall thru the nails holding the window in, but if you don't care about the window, just pull the glass part and then pry the rest of the window frame from the actual framing of the house. Then cut STRAIGHT down from the edge of the window frame thru the drywall straight down to the floor. Here's what it will probably look like under that window (brown is the studs)

untitled~0.jpg

Note, the 3 studs on each side of the existing window are really right up against one another. 2 should end under the header board (jack studs) and one should go up the side of the header board to the upper cap board.

Anyway... After removing the window, either cut straight down the wall along the stud that makes the window framing to about 2 inches from the floor. Do the same on the other side.

You can either take the drywall off first, or just sawzall thru the nails that will be holding the 2x4 (or 2x6) under the window.

Where you see the red lines, thats where you want to cut down.

If it was me... I'd probably using a yard-stick or square cut down the drywall with a utility knife 2 or 4 times to get a DEEP score and then pull off the drywall. Be careful along that cut not to damage too far in to the drywall (if at all) you'll be trimming that part to cover later, but if you damage the drywall farther then a couple inches you'll have to patch/repair etc.

But if you cut straight down that inner jack stud, you'll be good to go.

Just make those cuts straight down. After the drywall is off, remove the framing that is under the window. (again, I'd sawz'all with a metal cut blade thru the nails)

Once that is off you can go outside and make your cuts down the siding/sheathing as I described before. What kind of siding do you have? Wood?

If you get stuck, or aren't sure about something or have questions feel free to give me a call. 414-517-6219 That's my cell, and its with me all the time.

If your new door is the same width as your window, installing those french doors will be a piece of cake.

The existing header for the window will stay in place and it will be a very easy swap. hardest part will be trimming it out when you are done.

If your new door won't fit width and height in the existing header you'll have to rip the wall apart further and put a new header in, and make the sides the right width.

Its so much easier if the door is the same width and height as the existing window that I would SERIOUSLY consider ordering a custom french door to fit so you don't have to make a new header.

Wish I lived in the northwest, I'd come over and help you. But instead I think I'll go party on my boat. :lol:

But seriously, call if you get stuck.

Thanks Nikx,

It is the same size (width and hieght) so am thinking it is going to be easy.

Fuck it, I'll head to Wisconsin and party on the boat with you and do the door someother time :D

Pick me up at the airport?

It is the same size (width and hieght) so am thinking it is going to be easy.

Sweet... You're golden then. It will be a piece of cake. Trimming it will be the hardest part. (and that isn't hard at all)

On the inside you won't have to do any drywall stuff, just put the trim around the frame... On the outside, you usually have to worry about drip-caps and shit, but it looks like you are under a big overhang so water intrusion won't be an issue and your only concern will be asthetics.

Fuck, throw the door in tonight, and fly out tomorrow morning.

(Bring Lori please)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

How did it go steve?

Got distracted, have not finished this project.

A couple things came up, 1st the door I bought had a window above the french door had to be removed. This took some time as I needed to do this without damaging the door itself.

2nd it was fucking hot.

3rd my oldest was working all weekend and the youngest was at a friends all weekend, so I chased Lori around and took advantage of no kids around. Skinny dipped in the pool and lots of sex (Even though Redd does not think it is possible since I am over 40 :D )

I have all the prep work done, window is loose (2 nails holding) just make the cuts and put the door in. Will finish it either Monday or Tuesday.

so I chased Lori around and took advantage of no kids around. Skinny dipped in the pool and lots of sex

hey... the door can wait!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

One more question, when I go to install the door do I remove the doors from the frame (I hope so) or is it better to keep the doors in the frame when installing in the wall of the house?

If it makes it easier you can remove the doors from the frame.

They really don't serve a purpose to keep them in.

Your opening should be square. The only purpose to keeping the doors in while you install the frame would be that they could keep the frame square.

But keeping the frame square isn't an issue usually anyway. Its easy to square it up once its temporarily set in the opening.

I would remove the doors. set the frame temporarily (just tack it in a couple spots) shim the sides until square. Tack it down in a couple more places but before you completely fasten it in/down put the doors in just to make sure nothing binds, and then finish permanently nailing (or screwing) the frame in place.

If you really must remove the doors, tack a 1"x 4" or something similar across the frame diagonally before doing so to keep it square during installation.

This should eliminate a lot of "tweaking" once the frame is in and it's time to the install the doors- this can be a pain in the ass, as simple as it may sound.

tack a 1"x 4" or something similar across the frame diagonally

I agree, I was going to suggest that also. Especially since it sounds like you have already been chopping on the frame to remove the window above the doors. Probably would be a good idea to run a diagonal.

Doesn't have to be across the whole thing, just from midpoint on one side to midpoint on the top.

Pictures please.

:mrgreen:

Here are a couple

normal_home%20improvements%20window%2000

Still need to trim out the inside and reroute some electrical, I will post pics when that is completed

I may be GAY, but I'm no FAG, FAG!! So I've changed a few dozen light bulbs, does that make me an electrician??

I can't wait to give you a big sloppy kiss in a few weeks :P:lol:

Oh yeah, nice door Steve :lol:

Steve,  

Your mauve paint is cupped :D

Thanks alot, Lori just saw that you called the color on the walls "mauve" now I'll be painting the walls a new color!

Fucker :lol:

Sorry bro :(

Go with something manly, like.....

Taupe, or Chantilly, or Gecko Lime :P:o