CBR1100XX.org Forum

LIGHT PROBLEM

lexxus

MY 99BIRDS LOW BEAM GO'S OUT BUT NOT COMPLETELY ,BOTH TURN SIGNALS LIGHT UP AT THE SAME TIME, HORN STOPS WORKING, BIKE STILL RUNS, I DRIVE IT AND TURN HIGH BEAMS ON AND REV A LITTLE, LOW BEAMS COME ON AND ALLS WELL, BUT IT HAPPENS TIME AND TIME AGAIN OVER THE LAST COUPLE DAYS, ANYBODY HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM? OH YEAH THE DASH LIGHTS GO OUT WHEN THE ABOVE HAPPENS AND COME BACK ON WHEN THE HIGH BEAMS RETURN THE LOW BEAMS BACK TO WORKING.

Sound s like you might have either a faulty fuse / fusebox or check the wiring , you can get a diagram from me,

Will put the entire workshop manual for 99 - 2002 on the internet, Please note it is 145 MB in size.....

You can download it, pls let me know if you are looking for this.

Sound s like you might have either a faulty fuse / fusebox or check the wiring , you can get a diagram from me,  

Will put the entire workshop manual for 99 - 2002 on the internet, Please note it is 145 MB in size.....

You can download it, pls let me know if you are looking for this.

thanks i have a manual, Im leaning toward a bad light switch, just leanning though.will also check wiring diagram

Battery, charging system on it's way out?

Battery is about 2 months new, lights are bright as can be then boom without warnning they do the above and last until i hit the high beams then back to normal operation, ride find no loss of anything but momenterally lighting. may have to have charging system checked anyway. thanks

Also try running bike with seat off and tapping every electronic thing you can always works for bad relays and connections.

If non of these suggestions help remember, many electrical problems were solved at the bottom of quaries. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

OKAY, i have been doing some searching for loose wires blown bulbs and fuses, all good but when i take the fuse out for the highbeams, the low beam comes on and stays,so i rode the bird to the local advance auto to have the battery tested, the battery was bad, so i replaced it, but on my way there when i would pull the front brake lever or pushed the foot brake the the FI light comes on AHHHH, also with the turn signal fuse out i would turn the left blinker on but the right would blink and vice versa Dammm, what now? any help?

Guest rockmeupto125

But what happened AFTER you replaced it with a fully charged, functioning battery and cleaned the frame grounds?

But what happened AFTER you replaced it with a fully charged, functioning battery and cleaned the frame grounds?

Well i cleaned all the fuses and the only ground wire i saw beside the rear of the fuel tank before i replaced the battery, the lights still didnt come on after the battery was replaced until i took the high beam fuse out. Are there others grounds i missed?

Semi-related, make sure taht you fully charge teh battery. Most wrongfully assume that the batery completely charges on the bike, this is NOT correct. Use a battery tender or equivelant to fully charge it otherwise it'll be deficient for life as the bike's electrical system will not maximize the capacity.

As for the problem you're having regarding the voltage, sounds like a ground problem and they are a bitch to diagnos... sorry can't help you much there.

Good luck.

Okay i am going to take the battery to get a full charge.

since the brake lever and foot brake now make the FI light come on, im wondering if bad switches could cause this aswell as a not fully charged battery?

problem fixxed, man i tell ya it's alot of things that go wrong with the bird during this mission,but for now on any thing electric that happens to the bird GO STRAIGHT TOO THE LOOM, THIS IS TWICE WERE I FOUND THE PROBLEM. CORROSION CORROSION CORROSION, CLEANED IT UP AND ALL THE ELECTRICAL THINGS THAT DIDNT WORK WORK NOW, SO AGAIN CHECK THE LOOM THAT HOLDS ALOT OF CLOUT ON THE BIRD.

Thanks for all the help.

Where specifically in the loom is the problem?

a brown in color case atlease on my bird thats the color,located at the left side of the frame just below the positive battery cable, that house's about 20 wires or so that are connected by a metal insert into one full row of wires then three split rows of the metal inserts, they get moister in there somehow building up corrosion on the metal inserts causing malfuctions all over the birds electrical system incluing the ecm

Also why all the corrosion? Where do you live?

maryland