CBR1100XX.org Forum

STEERING HEAD ROLLER BEARING?

slyxdevil

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE ROLLER BEARNG SEERING HEAD UP GRADE? I JUST ORDERED ONE FROM CBR BEARING ITS A CONVESION KIT WAS WONDERING WHO HAD IT AMD IF ITS GOOD ALSO IS IT A BITCH TO PUT IN ? ANY TIPA WOULD BE GREAT

If you mean Tapered Bearing upgrade, I have it and installed it myself. This is not for the oilchange warrior if thats your level of repair skill. :lol: But if you have used three jaw pullers and have done bearing removal/installs on stuff then you may be able to tackle this .

I'v done every thing to my vehicles short of pull crank and or pistons and i'd say this was a pain in the ass to do with normal (non honda) tools.

But if your stubborn heres some TRICK'S i used:

1) get a honda service manual.

2) get a (i think?) 12mm allen wrench for neck dissassembly.

3) screwdriver and small hamer to remove locknut and steering nut.

4) dissassemble yoke pull out stem

5) Use a long screw driver to remove old races from Neck/Frame DO NOT HIT FRAME LIP JUST RACE SERFACE IT'S VERY TIGHT IN THERE!

6) pull outer race from steering stem (BITCH TO DO WITH NORMAL PULLER not much room between race and bottom tree)

7) Don't forget to install oil seal BEFORE race on stem!

8)Use old bearing races to install new ones tap w brass hammer ever so slightly in a circular fashion untill races are seated proberly.

9) tighten stem nut with a hammer and screwdriver untill there is no play in bars, but still turn freely.

10) Don't Fuck Up! :lol:

I Think that's all the tricks i used hope this helps a little.

BTW the result so far have been; no decel wobble and the normal steering feel has returned.

Good Luck

well ive done cranks /pistons ..but never kept a bike long enuff to wear out neck bearings i think thats what happened here if i hold front brake and push back and forth fell a clicking sound ..so ordered up grade kit from cbr bearing co ..they say comes with new races and all it was 55$

ive changed them on bicycles years ago but never on motorcycle i see in manual they say need alot of honda tools like pullers and shit so this should be fun thanks for the help

If you decide to get the genuine honda tools don't bother with ServiceHonda.com they don't sell tools just parts. :roll: Maybe ron ayers will sell them, dunno.

Then theres allways the local steeler :twisted:

well ive done cranks /pistons ..but never kept a bike long enuff to wear out neck bearings i think thats what happened here if i hold front brake and push back and forth fell a clicking sound ..so ordered up grade kit from cbr bearing co ..they say comes with new races and all it was 55$

ive changed them on bicycles years ago but never on motorcycle i see in manual they say need alot of honda tools like pullers and shit so this should be fun thanks for the help

Clicking? I'd inspect your secondary master cylinder for play also.

ok now i see that didnt sound right ,,,while holding front brake i push back and forth there is a small clicking sound like bearing play coming from tripple clamp bearing area checked it wit stethoscope its a real small amount just enuff to make a small single click when push fowd and again when pull back ..not a consistant clicking ..might just need to be tightened

dont know wrench aint big enuff will buy a 12 or 13mm today

While driving out the old races they can shatter and then your new race driver tool is gone. just a heads up.

I STILL need to do this. mine are notched and it would be nice to NEVER get the decell. wobble even with worn tires.

thanks for tip pete just gott bearings from cbr bearing co sweet lookin set up just dreading taking this thing apart must stop procrastinating and get my ass to garage will either start it tonite or tommorow after noon

just thinking how high will i have to get it to take off forks and what could i use to get it higher than center stand ..i guess now would be a good time to buy that m/c..atv jack from sears for 99 bucks ?

Interesting, how to hold front end up, heh. One way i'v done this was to tie the rear grab rail down to my trailer hitch on my truck lol. but a better way was to just put a block of wood (huge block) under oil pan/header pipes. I'ts not much weight 30Lb or so cuz the stand gets the brunt of it. Just get creative.

In respect to what Pete said, let me reiderate when removing old races, do so in a CIRCULAR TAPPING fashion. Not Bang Bang Out :lol:

It is cool to think the time and money i saved :D

i wish there was an easier way to do this maybe with out taking off wheel and forks but it would be more time consuming trying to leave it on.

just easier to take off like service manual says

When I do this I was thinking of removing the tank and use a ratchet strap around the frame and up to my rafters in the basement.

I should get motivated and do this over winter. Along with change my fork fluid for the first time. :oops:

When I do this I was thinking of removing the tank and use a ratchet strap around the frame and up to my rafters in the basement.

That's exactly what I did 8)

If anyone has a set of the roller bearing not installed yet could they post the make and part numbers on the bearings themselves. That way I can just order them from any bearing place. They are usually realy good a cross referencing stuff.

Thanks

Herb

• 2 weeks later...

i installed roller bearings today hoever only the top the bottom one is to tight on shaft i tried freezing it but still no good the stock one drops right on aftermarket dosent fit shaft to tight will damage if i try to press it on

why do they make it so tight? why cant they just shave it like 5 thousanths?