CBR1100XX.org Forum

Insulating tank

X1rider

We are still asking about what effect it'll have. It's not going to stop the heat from radiating out the sides of the bike. It'll just reduce the amount of heat that'll make it to the gas. Do you find the actual tank to hot to touch?

We are still asking about what effect it'll have. It's not going to stop the heat from radiating out the sides of the bike. It'll just reduce the amount of heat that'll make it to the gas. Do you find the actual tank to hot to touch?

Oh yeah. :o When the temps ar hovering around 95 (Also known as a fine cool afternoon in Las Vegas.) the 30 minute trip I have from work to the house leaves my inner thighs red. :roll: This is becuause the traffic doesn't allow airflow and the bike temps sit arround 240. That gets absorbed by the gas in the tank which is a wonderful heat sink.

Looking at the big picture, I'm wondering if for bikes in the hotter climes it might be a necessary evil. If you insulate the bottom the best direction for head in or out would be the top and when I make a Vegas/SoCal run and it's 115 deg the last thing I need is more heat in my upper torso to complement the baking I'm getting on my back.

Then again, I may be over analyzing things. Let us know how it works out.

I saw on the Kaw zzr forum, a guy that did the foil job to keep his thighs from baking and did a very elaborate job of removing his side plastic and

closing off and baffeling to reduce the hot air on this shins.

These are issues The Florida boys can relate to also.

I have had the thigh bake and shin cook when I ride with only my Niki's on.

Boots help alot of course, but cooling down that gas is a good idea.

Chaser