CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cooling Vest - Review (TechNiche Evaporative Cooling Vest)

Contemplating the heat of the desert , I opted to, at VIVID1's recommendation, investigate cooling vests.

They come in 2 forms.. one you put cold packs into, and another style that you soak in cold water. I opted for the 2nd style, as it made better sense to me to be able to refresh it anywhere there was water.

After looking around, I decide to give this one a try:

http://store.mm411.com/catalog/index.cfm?f...ntId=175&id=848

I was impressed with the delivery time... took them 2 days and it was at my door. Only thing about the vest that's bizzare is the zipper is backwards.. you latch it on the opposite side.

Today I soaked it in the sink wrung out the excess water, threw it on (no shirt under it, just the vest) and put on my aerostich and went for a ride. Weather conditions were in the upper 80's, high humidity. When the sun was out, the signs at the bank said between 94 and 98.

The entire 2 hour ride, I was cool, albeit a tad damp. By the time I got home, the sun was on the way down and the temperature was dropping a ttouch, but I wasn't hot at all. Even better, when I was out on the twisties, I was able to enjoy the benefits of warmer pavement (sticky tires) without being hot and dehydrated. Usually when it's that hot I have to stop part of the way through and get something to drink, but not today.

The only 2 real issues were:

1) It rubbed a bit in the arms, although I'm not sure whether that was the effect of a damp aerostich or the vest, I think it could easily have been addressed had I worn a shirt under the vest.

2) My shorts got a bit damp from the vest. That's not so bad, though, because it kept everything else cool, too.

All in all.. great product. Get one!

A couple years ago I bought a Marsee cooling vest. It's sort of a Chamois material that holds water for about 4 hours in blazing heat. I have used it on several trips through Nevada and Arizona in up to 125 degree temps and it works awesome! There is another maker very similar that sells thm for about $50, sorry I can't remember who it was but I sure love mine! I charge it up then close all the vents in my jacket, keeps me very comfortable