CBR1100XX.org Forum

In Ground Swimming Pool

Redd

Tell me about them...roughly what is the cost? If you buy a kit and have someone excavate. Online, you can buy a steel wall or a poly wall kit for around 4000 dollars, but how much for excavation and installation? The Pool wouldnt be huge, oval would work the best. Any tips?

I'd get estimates from local pool contractors on this one and see if it's worth the hassle to do it yourself. There are quite a few people around here that are going with the salt water pools instead of chlorine.

First off...

haven't had my own swimming pool for a long long time, too long actually.

I was just talking to the wife about them last month...

She said sure...... "when your daughter is older, and knows how to swim already."

So with that said.... swimming pools are pretty easy to set up, other than the heavy lifting.

But you said... "In-ground, and Steal or Poly". Personnaly I have never seen that kind of animal. Now as for the above ground Poly lined units.... like I said piece of cake.

And my piece of advise....

Buy the biggest one you can.... SIZE DOES MATTER!

When my parents were building their house in central Indiana, they were already having the basement excavated, etc... and at that time (5 years ago or so), the total additional cost to add the pool was like $10k. They had the pool enclosed, so they can use it year round.

The building costs (concrete, etc) weren't that much, since much of it was already being done to build the house anyways. They had to use green board in the pool room, and it's a huge room with a high ceiling.

They put the pool heater in the basement. Once the pool gets gets warm, it sorta helps keep the whole house warm. They've got a cover for it, so they don't have to worry too much about evaporation and humidity, and it helps keep the heat in during the winter.

Tell me about them...roughly what is the cost? If you buy a kit and have someone excavate. Online, you can buy a steel wall or a poly wall kit for around 4000 dollars, but how much for excavation and installation? The Pool wouldnt be huge, oval would work the best. Any tips?

Just a suggestion/option.

You can rent the type of equipment you'd need to excavate that from LCS in West Allis. Let me know if you want the number. Or here's the site:

http://www.fabcorents.com

You'd be suprised how inexpensive it is. If I was putting in a pool, that's what I'd do. Rent the equipment, dig it myself... Put in a poly unit. (with our freeze/thaw cycle you want something that won't crack)

The hardest part would probably be setting the unit into the hole. (but the place you buy from probably offers the service of setting it into the hole from the semi that delivers.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got bid for in ground gunite pool 20 X 30 free form with 7 foot spa salt water system. $46,000 with no decking. I'm in So Cal, price will very.

Be careful with who does the work, there are alot of shady pool contractors out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Pools are the best, the last 3 homes we have owned we have had a pool. With that said, all of these houses had the pools already in. I have checked in this area over the past 3 years on the cost of installing a inground pool with minimal decking and it runs around $50K for an 18,000 gallon pool.

When purchasing a home with a pool already in you get around a $5K credit so we have choose to put the $45K into the house if the house is not what we want.

Up Keep on a pool is a peice of cake, much rather do the upkeep on the pool vs. fucking mowing the lawn. I do not hire out any of the up keep just do all myself, screwed up a few times but wtf I learned and now I know. Just like brewing beer if you keep things clean makes life easy. Are dog is in the pool all the time so I am cleaning the filter system offen.

If you want more details PM me

We are looking into installing an inground pool nexxt spring. I may do some of the work myself or subcontract the work to save some dough. All these plans may be dumped if Honda comes out with some 1300cc superbike :roll:

Guest rockmeupto125

The steel or poly walled kits are just panels that bolt together to form the walls. I assume you are talking inground here, so...........

You need to excavate a hole to the required depth. Depending upon the base, you may need to gravel in the perimeter. Then you bolt the wall panels together with the corner pieces on the perimeter, leveling it as you go.

Next is to smooth the bottom, topsoil it, and then put a form of grout on top of that. Once that dries, you can lay out your liner, cut and place the suction/discharge lines, cap the liner, and fill the pool. Backfill with pea gravel or nonbulky fill, take off your clothes, and go swimmin'.

the materials are the least of the expense. Excavation and prep are the big cost. If you have a work crew, you might by asking around find an out-of-work pool installer who would work as foreman to direct the project.

There are also smaller pools that are essentially a gigantic bathtub cast in resin. You dig a hole, set it in place, and backfill. Super easy, and last I knew, about the same cost for half the size of a "panel" pool. But less work, no concern about wall shift, and no replacing the liner. Ever.

okay....did my research. I am getting pretty damn picky the more I start looking at this project. I was going to settle with the "liner" in ground pool, but since seeing the fully formed "fiberglass" pool, I have had my heart set on it. Seems like you have it made with the fiberglass. Doesnt require as much chemicals, dont have to worry about replacing the liner every 10 years (if your lucky). Easier to keep clean, and the shapes and sizes are plenty. Gunite pools are durable, but they require more maintenance than the fiberglass as well. I can have dan excavate the hole, and the fiberglass pool would be shipped on a flatbed to the house and placed in the hole....now the tricky part is backfilling with sand and filling the pool at the same time, and of course leveling the pool. once the pool is backfilled and filled with water, then the concrete patio would be the next undertaking. So I call to get a price of the pool I want......$18,500.00, the pool would be 16x40. I dont think this is too bad of a price.....wish there was a way to find a better deal, but looking around online looks like that is pretty much the price. Now the question for you all is..................anyone have experience with fiberglass?

This is the one I would like....

575Web.jpg

Its 40x16 with an 8' depth.

it would look like this......98_237a.jpg

Did you know a fricken diving board costs around $600.00, for a cheap one?? What a royal rip-off!!!

Guest rockmeupto125

I've repaired some fairing pieces with fiberglass. :twisted: :P

In 1988 our 18x36 inground with built in steps cost $15,000 which included the pump/filter, cleaning/maintainance equipment, solor cover/reel, winter cover, fencing and surrounding concrete, 4 foot on two sides, 10 foot on the other two. That was a linered pool with a shallow depth of 4 feet and a deep end of 6 feet. (the wife couldn't swim) It wouldn't have cost more for an 8 foot depth. The liner was damaged and repaired a few times, but I never had to replace it.

We had a cold snap for a couple days prior to a big party we had planned for the folks at work. I didn't realize how cold the water had gotten until I went out to do the final prep of the pool that morning ....and the water temp was 58 degrees. I quickly fired up the pool heater and left it running. I had salvaged a wall mount gas furnace from a demolition project. I put a diverter valve to run a percentage of the pump flow through the heater core, and would adjust that so that the output wasn't over 100 degrees so no one got burned. (kids love to hang around the discharge.....and even more so when its warm) Because there was no one in the pool, and I was desperate, I set it up for the discharge to run at around 130 degrees...any more and I was worried about melting a valve or joint. I got busy getting things ready for the party and kinda forgot about it. Shortly after the guests started to arrive with the kids all in bathing suits someone asked about the pool and I remembered. You guessed it. There was no safety thermocouple on the system, so it just kept running.....and the water temperature was an even 90. WOW!. EVERYBODY enjoyed the hell out of the pool that day. As I recall, it was a 254,000 btu heater they used in a plumbing warehouse.

So my point is.......one...its a comical story, and two....don't be a piker. If you are spending that much money on a pool, spend another 1-2 thousand for a pool heater. It will give you up to 4 more months of usable pool time in your climate zone. There's no sense in having a 20 thousand dollar investment that you can't use for 1/3rd of the year for lack of 10% of the cost.

yes, I was planning on getting a heater. I wouldnt have it any other way. Living in wi. The pool dealers I have been calling remind me of shady used car salesmen.......Its quite frustrating, they treat me like I just crawled out from under a rock. I did some more research to find that alot of the fiberglass pools out there may say they are dive pools, but in actuality they are not. Apparently the "deep" end in most cases is not long enough to do a dive.

Joe....I may have to get you over here and fix me up a heater like that! How many BTU's would you recommend for a pool of the above stated sizes?

Guest rockmeupto125

A lot of the pool places have online catelogues and charts to indicate what you need for a pump, filter, and heater dependant upon your volume. I'll see what I can dig up for later.

I just bought a 18x33 above ground pool kit. My house has a walkout basement and the land slopes gently away behind it. I plan on cutting in so far to get it level that the top of this above ground pool kit will be within a foot or so of grade behind the house. I will then either pour a patio or build a deck or some combination to make the above ground pool appear like an inground pool. I should have it by the end of nexxt week and I will be offering up beer and food to anyone who wants to help set it up

:D

I got to see pics! If you lived in Northern Indiana, I would throw the skid loader on the truck and we would run out to help you! Let me know how that ends up going. Are you putting in round or oval?