CBR1100XX.org Forum

Decks

N1K

Anyone build decks?

I'm getting ready to do mine. Just wondering if you have any suggestions.

I'll post up a pick of what I intend to do and get y'alls ideas.

Try the square headed deck screws. Obviously they would be driven in with a square drive bit on your drill. I've found they are much easier to drive in than phillips head screws.

What a weekend. I need a massage...

Saturday with the help of a friend dropped 10 holes 48" each. Took about 2 hours.

Then today by myself I got all my footings poured and post-bases set in the concrete.

Fuck I'm tired. 3160 pounds of concrete. Rented a little 2 bag mixer from Home DeepHo

I think the deck is really going to give good balance to the house.

42824527.jpg

Footings and zbases

42824532.jpg

ya got a permit for that thing, nik. i got a certified letter from our town telling me that we now have a zoning dept and that i need to buy a permit.

Getting there.... Thought I'd finish this weekend, but its taking me longer then I thought doing it all by myself.

43138061.jpg

That's gonna look good! Nice work!! I like how you did the footings, that's the right way. See so many done half-assed.

You can do that but you can't change your oil? WTF? :P

• 2 weeks later...

Little more progress.

I'm not all that happy with how my stain application went. I have a friend who is a sales rep for a company that makes stains and coatings.

He said their deck products suck. But recommended Sikkens deck products. Said they were the best. Coming from a competitor, I thought that was a good recomendation

Hard to find, (went to their website www.sikkens.com I think) to find a store in my area that sold it. (there aren't many)

I knew it was suppose to rain, but thought I'd be able to squeeze it in.

I stained the deck at 7 and it rained at 10:45 or so. JUST a tiny bit of rain, not enough to wet the ground, I left the party I was at to throw some plastic over it. I got there just after there as already a tiny tiny bit of rain. Anyway. you can see where the droplets of water hit the stain.

I think I might sand it down and put a second coat of stain on it for a more perfect finish...

Product was great, but the rain was the problem.

43728783.jpg

43728784.jpg

I'll probably leave it open.

My sister was like "you need rails" but I don't know if I want to mess with rails.

I might just put up rails in the corners. just like a 2 foot by 2 foot partial railing each way from the corner (translation: drink holder-rail) :lol:

I can see where rails would be nice but I sorta like the open feel it has. Makes it seem bigger. Besides its not THAT high if someone were to fall off of it. :D

Besides its not THAT high if someone were to fall off of it.

You mean when.

:lol::lol:

I want to put something on the outside corners..

Like one of those BIG ceramic or clay or metal planters with a shrub, or decorative grass in it or something...

• 3 weeks later...
I want to put something on the outside corners..

Like one of those BIG ceramic or clay or metal planters with a shrub, or decorative grass in it or something...

GAY!

Actually I think that would look great. Maybe in combination w. the 2ft. of railing at the corners you mentioned earlier.

I'm thinking a couple BIG planter pots on either side of my garage door would look good.

I'm glad you bumped this thread... I had forgotten my idea to put those planters out there. I'll post pics when I get them on.