CBR1100XX.org Forum

A/C air handler replacement

I need mine replacing apparently, I understand it is a 3 ton unit & i've been quoted $1400 for the standard replacement or $1650 (12 Seer - whatever that is) upgraded unit, both are Rheem models. Prices are fitted.......is this a reasonable deal?????????

The guy is recommending the upgraded unit as this will evidently give more efficiencies when the other part of the puzzle (the big fan unit that sits outside) needs replacing, which is 12 yrs old now, so that will be in the not too distant also. :shock:

As you might have gathered I do not have a clue about A/C....

Pete

Guest rockmeupto125

I don't know anything about A/C either, but if you can upgrade to a better unit for that little, I'd say do it. Especially since that will give you the cred to sling words like seer and Rheem around in party chitchat...... :razz:

Why does the Air Handler unit need replacement? Is it just the motor and squirrel cage that has gone out OR is the "A" coil bad too? Are you replacing the furnace unit too? $1400 is outrageous for a replacement Air Handler only. Reasonable is he is doing the A coil and the air handler unit. I need more info here.

Joe, your right I could talk lots of bull after a few beers after this episode, mind you I do that well already!

Thanks xrated, here is what I know so far...........

The problem I have is lots of water (condensation) dropping from the unit, so when I had it looked at, it transpires that the coil has not been serviced for quite some time & the housing that contains the coil is rotted through, hence the drip tray is overflowing causing the water to drip.

The unit we have is a heat & A/C unit, I believe he is replacing the lot, I will check. The unit that is being changed (as far as I am aware) is the whole unit including shroud (I guess this is where you mean squirrel cage??) that sits above the ceiling & feeds the ducting........

The unit that sits outside the house (the piece of the jigsaw with the big fan in) is not being replaced......

Cheers

Pete

Since you're in Florida it's probably a heat pump you have there. Go for the 12 seer unit and make sure you're getting at least a 5 year warranty on the parts. Also make sure there is an authorized Rheem dealer near by. I'm an hvac tech in New Jersey and I had to deal with Rheem warranty service and it was horrible due to the fact the nearest dealer was an hour away and they make you purchase the new parts then they study the old ones. IF they decide it's defective someday you might get your money back. I deal with a company called Arcoaire, because they truly stand by their product. The equipment can be purchased at United Refrigeration by a local contractor. Hope I helped, good luck.