CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front sprocket damper ?

davesXX01

Hey all, time to change the sprockets and chain. I would like to go to a 16t front but dont want to lose the rubber damper on the sprocket. According to the Dennis Kirk catalog the front sprocket for the following bikes are the same as the 'Bird:

929 00-01

954 02-03

RC51 00-04

996 98-04

Does anybody know if any of these have the rubber damper on them from the factory?

Thanks

Dave

rockme, that is what I was looking for, a 16t O.E. rubber dampened sprocket. Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough.

The bikes listed came with a 16t stock and have the same basic part number for aftermarket sizing along with the 'Bird.

Thanks

Dave

Guest rockmeupto125

I was doing some research on this, now that I understand your point. I'm pretty sure the RC had a dampened 16 tooth stocker.

Who's gonna order one to check it out?

A lot of time, the aftermarket stuff will have the same part number for different bikes. Just like the rear sprocket, they only list up to a 45 tooth for the bird but the early 900RR's carry the same part number and go up to 50 teeth. I run a 900RR rear 46 tooth sprocket on mine. The front should work if the aftermarket cross references it for the two bikes.

Guest rockmeupto125

The problem with the front sprockets is the width of the hub....and they are different for different models. Aftermarket sprockets may not have that specific hub width although the splines may match up. They will work, because its a design whereby the sprocket can float from left to right on the splined output shaft. But the OEM sprockets may not work as well when they are placed in the wrong application, and wear chains and decrease power output because they can't line up due to the hub diameter.

rockmeup, I called Service Honda and they can order me one for $27 but other than that the guy I talked to had no clue about hub width or if it was dampened. (not Chris G) I guess I will order one and just find out for myself and report back to you all.

Does anybody have a stock one they can measure?

Dave

Just checked the one I toke off when I went to 16. I assume you want the thickness of the gear as opposed to diameter of the splined potion since it would have to be the correct diameter or no fit. Anyway:

Width of entire gear including cush drive ; 19mm

Width of splined portion of gear: very slightly more than 14mm considering all offsets..

On the stock gear the splined portion is offset from each edge by a little less than 3mm. One side the offset is at the gear edge, the other at the spline edge.

Hope that makes sense.

Just rechecked mine - comes out 19mm. Maybe there's some variation in this thickness since it isn't realy critical (not the teeth,not the splines). Wouldn't the more important measurement be the thickness at the splines since this is what would allow the sprocket to "float" on the shaft?

I just looked at a local guys 954, no damper on it! 51er, this guy also had one for a 1000 without a damper. I'm assuming they were stock as he geared them both down 1 but both bikes were purchased used.

Yes that is the measurement warchild, what is it off of?

Warchild, one more measurement please. Spline thickness as 99birdman took. Rockmeup's comments make a lot more sense to me now if the sprocket needs to slide on the shaft somewhat.

I am looking for the dampened one so as to keep any vibrations at a minimum as I can't stand the buzzing I am getting at 3.5-4.5 allready, still havent figured that one out yet.

99Birdman, so 19mm is stock? Yes your statement makes sense as I am told the O.E. sprocket only goes on one way (530 stamping out) per shop manual.

Thanks so far guys!

Dave

I think both Warchild and I measured the same spot (according to his picture). Mine was 19mm, his was 17.5 (both stock Blackbird sprockets). I don't think this measurement matters much as it really reflects the thickness of the damper not the teeth or hub part. The thickness of the hub would seem to impact the things Joe mentioned.

Sorry, my bad. I thought Warchild was going to measure his stock gear. I don't think any of the Birds cam with 16s (? )so it must be off a different bike. Now I'm curious. If there is a stock dampened gear in 16t what bike is it off of and what is the thickness at the splines (assuming the diameter at the splines is right to fit the XX)?

Warchild, in your original post you said you had a stock one to measure then with the photo you said it was a 16????? Different bike?

If there is a stock dampened gear in 16t what bike is it off of and what is the thickness at the splines (assuming the diameter at the splines is right to fit the XX)?

Uhhhhhhhhh......... Duhhhhhhhhhhhh.............. excuse me, gentlemen, whilst I put the crack pipe away...........

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Below, the 16T sprocket on the right (that was also in the photos above) is the stock sprocket off my old, beloved, and terribly missed CBR929RR Erion. Compare that to the stock 17T sprocket on the left, directly off my beloved Night Train (a 2000 CBR1100XX):

xx-929Sprockets.jpg

I then slapped the calipers on the correct 17T front sprocket, and 'lo and behold, the width is indeed................... 19mm.

19mmWidth.jpg

Ummmmmm...... d'oh. crap.gifcrap.gifcrap.gifcrap.gifcrap.gifcrap.gif

hey warchild, hows about a pic from the side comparing the height of the splines to the teeth (basically height from the inner edge of the splines to the sprocket teeth surface for depth purposes)

If it's vibration you are trying to get rid of you need to look elsewhere. I believe the rubber on the front sprocket is there to dampen noise only. That whirrr noise you get.

Other then that this is interesting, seeing if you can cross parts from another model.

Warchild's pic of the 929 sprocket is obviously dampened like the factory bird one is, and the widths are within 1.5mm of it, so I'd run it. It's a floating design, and can't be out of line enough to cause wear, unless the sprocket portion is offset compared to the splines.

Which, according to aftermarket sources (all of them, apparently), they aren't offset.

Put some grease in the splines, and bolt it up. Done.

FWIW, modern "pure sport" bikes don't run the dampers for the reason that the damper robs power. Might only be a hp or two, but everything matters when the bikes are as close as they are.

Oh, and I agree with Pete.  

It's a noise damper, not vibration. If the chain is causing the vibration, I'd bet you have a bad chain, not a sprocket.

Ditto. I'd check your chain for any tight spots

Hey all, I know that the sprocket isn't causing my original problem, I just don't want to add any more noise to it. I do have a couple of kinks in my chain so I'm going to change both.

Warchild, it looks like you have all the answers we are looking for as you have both in front of you! U da man :grin:

Anything more you can tell us about them? More specs?

So far we know:

929 dampened

954 not dampened

RC51 unknown

Dave