CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Garage

demon

Started digging the foundation for my new garage beside the house today. Gonna build a 24'x24' garage and need some ideas for storage and stuff. Anyone have any unusual or great work benches or storage ideas they'd like to share. One side will be for my pickup and the other for the bird.

Started digging the foundation for my new garage beside the house today. Gonna build a 24'x24' garage and need some ideas for storage and stuff. Anyone have any unusual or great work benches or storage ideas they'd like to share. One side will be for my pickup and the other for the bird.

Awesome. Are you documenting it all with pics? That would be cool. BTW this should probably be in the handyman section.

Damaged/returned/used formica countertops can be had for a little bit of nothing and coupled with a 2x4 base, make the best workbenches. I've got several $8 wal-mart 5' tall steel shelves that work well. Not the heaviest duty but will keep yer shit off the floor.

Admin, brain fart on my part. Can you move this to the handyman section for me??

I'll document it with pics. I like cabinets myself, but some stuff is too big to fit. Saw a "shelf" at Lowe's the other day that suspends from the celieng over the garage door for stuff you don't use much. Looked kinda handy.

Going to buy an upright air compressor and a new vise. My old air compressor is on it's last leg and this would be the perfect time to upgrade. Air tools, especially polishing tools, take massive amounts of air.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Demon. I built my garage 3 yrs. ago and love it. As far as air compressors go DO NOT buy an oiless air compressor like the craftsman ones unless you enjoy so much noise that you can't even hear yourself think! I have the 6h.p. 30 gal. model and I hate it. It works great as far as air supply goes, but the noise is unbearable. Good luck with your garage and let me know if you have any questions.

Got the building permit and waiting on the ground to dry up some more before we start digging the footers. Going ahead as the weather will permit. It's been raining too much here lately (yea rain, not snow) and the ground is pretty much saturated. Can't wait to start on it. I don't have too much else to do for the next 6-8 weeks :roll:

My wife's uncle is going to do the backhoe work and my father-in-law is arranging the subcontractors as of now to go ahead as planned.

Make it an A-frame and put an apartment upstairs. You can always finish that off later. Also if you have a compressor in the existing garage run a line to the new garage and use 1 compressor for both. Put in extra future lines for electric or water or whatever to ease later expansion.

Don't forget about designing some type of heating system if you plan on doing work in there during cold weather. There are some really cool systems and designs available now that are relatively cheap and effective. I sure wish I would have looked into heating my floor. That type system will heat and reheat the area quickly, even if you open and close the doors a lot. I'm using a Reddy Heater now that works great if you don't mind it sucking all the oxygen out of the air every hour or so... :shock: :lol:

electrical outlets every 4 feet, cant have enough of em.

plenty of lights too. flourescent lights suck up here when its cold. when i built my garage i used pull chain lights with a switch for each bay. leave 1/2 of them turned off with the pull chain to save power when you dont need much light. turn them on as needed when working on stuff.

I like the light idea. keep the chains on them and use the ones you need. It's still been raining and the concrete people won't come out and dig the footers till it dries out some more. Story of my life this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll get some this weekend. Forgot all about taking pictures. They put my shingles on yesturday and early next week the siding will be up. Garage doors and electrical maybe later on in the week and it'll be done.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I admit it. I'm a Lazy Slacker.

I'll go out in the morning and pop a couple pics. It's not done yet. All that it needed to be functioning is the electircal, garage doors, extending the driveway, gutters (going on next week), and my workbench/cabinets/storage type stuff as well as transferring the man items over.

Oh, and by the way, it's General Hospital not Days of Our Lives.

• 1 month later...

Well, it's just about done. All I need is to put some more shelves in it (which will later be replaced by cabinets when the fundage is better), finish moving a little more stuff, and finishing the driveway. Next year I'm going to finish the inside with insulation and wall covering. I've got 2 220 outlets in there as well as plenty of 110 outlets. One of the 220 outlets is large enough for a big welder and the other is for an air compressor which is on my "Christmas List". I think the bird will fit nicely in it's new bird house.

normal_P5310084.JPG

normal_P5310086.JPG

normal_P5310089.JPG

normal_P5310087.JPG

normal_P5310088.JPG

Naaa, just my truck. It's a Ford after all. I didn't have the proper tool to put the rear main seal in it when I rebuilt the engine and it leaks a little. Not enough leak to pull the trans to replace it though.