CBR1100XX.org Forum

After Market Suspension questions, 1990 XX

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently shopping for a complete aftermarket sus pension for a 1990 XX. I have done all levels of CA Superbike School and try to do track days when I can, but no competition. i also do extensive sport touring around the country. My question is what works best, I am thinking of sending the forks to Ohlins and buying a Ohlins shock. Any ideas or real world experience would be appreciated.

I have a Penske 8981 and really like it. It completely transformed the ride and handling on my bike. Others have the Ohlins and like them too.

I have an Ohlins rear and Race-Tech springs up front, with the gold valves and believe it or not, 10Wt fluid. I weigh around 260-280 depending on which grazing season it is :lol:

I did the forks myself, including the valves. The springs are straight forward and the valves are a piece of cake, takes about an afternoon and a couple of calls to the folks at Race Tech. I went to the website, entered the secret code from the box the valves came in, and they told me what order to put the shims in.

Night and day difference :wink:

Good luck :grin:

Chauvinistic as I am, I would say go Dutch. WP is at the moment the leading expert in motorcycleshocks (formerly known as White Power), with lots of riders in GP and Superbikes.

An upcoming firm in Europe is Hyperpro. They are the only manufacturer who make fully progressive springs. All others have a 2- or a 3-stage progressive spring. These springs allow your bike to feel very comfortable when riding normal, and stiffen up when riding hard. They are about the same price (maybe a little cheaper) as WP and Öhlins.

Here in Holland most of our members switched to Hyperpro. Even some guys already using Öhlins switched. No need to buy a complete new rear shock (unless you are very heavy), just the spring and a 4mm spacer will do.