CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clear Rear Tailight Question

oldbird

I just did my (stock) rear tail light and I didn't knock out the panel. I used a one inch hole saw in a drill press. Put two holes close to the rear of bike and super glued thin plastic inside of lense. It worked very well.

ClearAlternatives makes 2 versions of the taillight. One has red inserts and you uses clear bulbs the other uses LEDs which are clear until on and then are red. I have the LED version and knocking out the bottom of the lens will cause RED light to project on the plate (instead of white). Could be wrong, but I think the insert one will do the same. Some cops may decide this isn't adequate illumination and give you a ticket. Had this happen on another bike.

The LED one would not illuminate on the licence plate even if one were to remove the bottom of the assembly. LEDs are directional and you can barely see 'em illuminating from side view. I think some wide angle illumination ones claim to be seen from "wider" angles without giving the angle.

I have the LED one so I installed four high intensity LEDs on the bottom plastic and wired them to the original licence plate wiring. I've choosen blue ones and I think it looks pretty cool at night and pretty bright too. I had posted pictures of it in the past but don't remember if it was on the old forum.

If there is any interest to see it, I'll dig 'em up and post again.

Ruhi