CBR1100XX.org Forum

My house project

tvking

rake the joint

:headscratch:

?????

Like doing cocking.... where you smooth the material to give a uniform finisn. Except when you're doing mortar they call it raking the joint, because you carefully cut out the overage and then dress the rest, to give stone a nice thick lip. You wouldn't want it to look smooth like tile work or brick.... that would be bad.

• 5 months later...

Update on the house.

Not a lot has been done that's easy to see. Finished up the interior framing. The HVAC is almost buttoned up. The electrical rough-in is about half done.

The stairs were pretty steep and somewhat uneven so we ripped them out and reframed them with 2 more treads and risers.

5717862458_c8855f25ca_o.jpg

5717297699_d2f5fd8e1e_o.jpg

They've been working on the siding on the back and sides of the house and it's coming along.

5717864112_925197e93b_o.jpg

5717864814_4ddc3fa486_o.jpg

5717300229_865d5e2a57_o.jpg

The new front door is in too. The stone guy is supposed to come on Saturday to install the manufactured stone around it.

5717866318_c9febd0b0e_o.jpg

It going much slower than I'd like but I'm at other peoples mercy.

It going much slower than I'd like but I'm at other peoples mercy.

Must be frustrating to not be able to go at it yourself... But the house is looking great bro.

I get a hard on every time I think about your LONG driveway!

45817068.jpg

The house is looking great Todd. I would have to leave the country while it was being done. Once again you truly are an inspiration to us all.

I see the elevator in the pic. Is that something that will be permanent?

The property is awesome too. I'm on 5 acres and about 300' off the road with woods all around people go by and don't even know we're here 8)

Oh yeah and no curtains :boobies:

nice...how much longer do you think it will take?

Too long. :? I'm at the mercy of others, most of whom are volunteering their time. I appreciate all that they are doing but I wish it would just be done.

I see the elevator in the pic. Is that something that will be permanent?

Yes. I want to build an actual elevator car on the lift so the mechanicals won't be seen. Ordered the steel Friday.

Damn Todd. The place is really coming along nicely. I know what you mean though. It sucks having so much stuff "in progress". It will get done eventually though and then you will have a a fecking awesome place. Thanks for the update. Definitely post up some pics of the front door when you get em. I bet that is going to be sweet.

The stone was done early last week and turned out great. To start, cover the wall w/ tar paper and wire lath.

5717880284_2698ed5f13_o.jpg

Put on a scratch coat of mortar, back butter the stone, and stick it on the wall.

5717316573_b8010efa52_o.jpg

TA DA! (sp?)

5717882030_07cba1669b_o.jpg

Dude! That looks fantastic. Now go make that guy in the next to last pic a bacon double cheeseburger and some gravy fries. :icon_biggrin:

I think it's Travis' long lost brother. :icon_biggrin:

Wow Todd! That really looks great! Adds alot of character.

Thanks, I think so too.

• 5 months later...

Finally! Some visible progress. We took a lot of time off this summer then got back at it this fall. Mostly HVAC, plumbing and electrical rough ins. Lots to do but not much to see. Kinda depressing to do that stuff and have it look basically the same.

I'm having the walls and ceiling sprayed w/ Icynene expanding foam insulation.

http://www.icynene.com/

Really cool stuff, but kinda pricey. They sprayed the walls today. Ordering drywall tomorrow. We'll put up the ceiling drywall then they'll come back and spray the ceiling.

5717331719_6edd88df54_o.jpg

5717897144_64035119eb_o.jpg

5717333181_77d7d521d9_o.jpg

Here's a short video of them spraying.

http://www.cbr1100xxforums.org/photos/albu.../10039/Foam.wmv

Kewl Todd 8) 8)

The foam looks like neat stuff. I am going to look into that :wink:

Way to go on the progress :D

It costs about 150% of other insulation but my HVAC guy says that he reduces the furnace size by 30 to 40% when a house has foam insulation.

Can I move in when you're done?

I was hoping you cum for a 'visit' before that.............

I bet you it helps with sound as well?

Yes it's supposed to make it a lot quieter too. I'm not sure that's possible though. I already live in the sticks.

I know the materials are costly for some things, but man, the outcome sure seems worth the time and effort.

Especially compared to a drag racing motorcycle...

Maybe, but I didn't get much of a rush from the insulation......................

looking good, todd!

can't wait to get back down there to see all you new/updated things.

• 1 month later...

Latest update. The drywall is up. :icon_cool: You can get a much better feel for what the house finished will be like. Really defines the space. The tapers started last week and hope to finish up late this week. Everything I own is covered w/ DW dust. :icon_neutral: but it's part of the process. Got an estimate of kitchen cabinets........... :icon_eek: I thought they were wooden boxes but appearently they must have some sort of diamond coating...........

Actually it's a little less than I expected but still too much for what you get.

Thought I'd post a floor plan so you can get a better idea where stuff is.

5717919914_92f383bfc1_o.jpg

Master bedroom

5717357513_1f3cd68f30_o.jpg

Master bath. Whirlpool tub goes under the window.

5717359309_7cdb3eb8fe_o.jpg

Dining room

5717920536_9aaf40922b_o.jpg

5717358135_5a55facb62_o.jpg

Front door

5717922868_fa97d4ecc2_o.jpg

Bedroom #3 looking down the hall

5717379083_3e70ebd1ff_o.jpg