CBR1100XX.org Forum

Best street tires, in your opinion

The T-man

Hijack

Redbird, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I already have a good M1 up front and was going to use a Z6 out back. My local dealer has shown me a B model Z6 that is supposed to be for heavier bikes like the FJR1300.

Which one are you running...the B model is more expensive

Thanks

Porter

Hijack

Redbird, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I already have a good M1 up front and was going to use a Z6 out back. My local dealer has shown me a B model Z6 that is supposed to be for heavier bikes like the FJR1300.

Thanks

Porter

Porter... Metzeler and a bunch of locals advised me to not even bother with the "B" rear Z6... The first rear lasted about 6k miles and the current has about 4.5k miles on it so far... I might cahnge it out a little earlier as I have a set of Pilot Roads that I want to try. Oh and mounting the "B" Z6 is a ROYAL bitch!!! Did it on a friend's FJR...

I'm on my second set of D208's and finally fell victim to the cupping on the front. The first set wore great with no cupping at all. I've ridden the this set more aggressively and after 3200 miles the front started cupping. I'm looking for something as sticky as the 208 but of course without the cup and around the same price range. Got a set of Diablos to try. Anyone ever use these on the Bird? Any reccommendations on a good street/track tire with consistent feedback and predictability?

Best I have experienced on the Bird for street and a track day here and there is the Pilot Sport up front and the Pilot Road in the rear. The feedback & predictability was very good in my opinion. Happy trails kel

Best tire I have used in my years of experience(though I will admit, I haven't bought a tire in nearly 2 seasons) are Bridgestone BT010's. Great grip, good feel and moderately good mileage for a performance tire.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on my second set of D208's and finally fell victim to the cupping on the front. The first set wore great with no cupping at all. I've ridden the this set more aggressively and after 3200 miles the front started cupping. I'm looking for something as sticky as the 208 but of course without the cup and around the same price range. Got a set of Diablos to try. Anyone ever use these on the Bird?

when i first got my bird it had d208s, i found they were a very slippery tyre. replaced them with diablos and havent looked back, they havent let me down. so far ive got 5500 kms out of them so far, fronts got heaps left, rears only got another 1000 max. left in it, id rather have a sticky low mileage tyre than a slippery high mileage tyre

Best tire I have used in my years of experience(though I will admit, I haven't bought a tire in nearly 2 seasons) are Bridgestone BT010's. Great grip, good feel and moderately good mileage for a performance tire.

Except they cup like hell.

The Avon's & the Metzeler's don't cup, from what we've seen. On a big bike like the XX, the front tire is much more susceptible to cupping than a lighter sport bike.

Unless you are running the bike very hard, and traction is a constant issue for you, go with either Avon AV45/46 combo, Metz. Z6's or the Michelin Pilot Roads.

You can substitute the stickier front without much loss in mileage life if your riding style dictates it, as well.

I don't know if they sell them in the USA, but there is a compromise between the Michelin Pilot Road and the Michelin Pilot Sport. It is called the Michelin Pilot Power. I have the Road version now, but some of my mates use the Power. They grip like the Sport, but have a much better mileage. All of them do 6000 up to 8000 miles with these....

Hijack

Thanks

Porter

I'm running the standard Z6, no B model here.

I'll toss in another recommendation for the Michelin Pilot Roads. I've only

got about 2000 on them, but so far, the wear rate looks good and they

stick well for a long wearing ST tire. A couple of friends I ride with ride

'busas and they are getting around 8000 out of the Roads. I've tried the

Pirelli Diablos, which gripped well, but wore out fast. My '03 came with

Macadam 90X, but I didn't like them much; poor grip, slow to warm up,

and wore out pretty fast.

Yep, Pilot Roads are very good ST tire, imho, and plan to stick with 'em till something better comes out/proven.

Replacement XX had virtually new M1s mounted, rear became toast in short order (hhhmmmm?), front has excellent tread/no cupping. I have new Roads in reserve (2 rears/1 front). I'm going to mate up a new Road rear w the M1 front too see how that goes.

If you balance your own tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport doesn't have a balance dot on the tire. In my mind, that would make it harder to balance.

I'm going to try the Bridgestone's new 014 but I don't put on high miles.

It should make it harder, and require more weight for a dealer also.

Is this true of the Road also?

If you balance your own tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport doesn't have a balance dot on the tire. In my mind, that would make it harder to balance.

I'm going to try the Bridgestone's new 014 but I don't put on high miles.

It should make it harder, and require more weight for a dealer also.

FWIW,

I have a sport on the front and had the shop pull the weights, break it down and balance without wt. by spinning the rubber on the rim then balance for wts. and ended up dropping almost an ounce.

Don't know as I only dealt with the sports.

No, the Road is marked.

Interesting... My new Roads don't... So I emailed Michelin. Here's their response:

No, you are not missing anything. Michelin does not put mounting dots on

its motorcycle tires. The valve whole on motorcycle wheels has no

relationship to either high or low spot on the wheel and is not an indicator

of light or heavy. Therefore, a mounting dot is useless information.

If you have additional questions, please respond to this email or you may

call us at 1-800-847-3435 (toll-free) between 8:30AM and 6:00PM Eastern Time

Monday through Friday to allow one of our Consumer Relations Representatives

to assist you.

Michelin North America

Consumer Relations Department

(Please Do Not Delete the line below.)

Email ID: 1269031

That's weird.....

The mechanic in my workshop even pointed the markings out to me. Maybe they stopped doing it, or just do it in Europe?

Maybe my mechanic was mistaken, that could be....

I will check again in spring, when I have acces to the bike again.