CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pushing the bird home today

Obby

I had a beautiful all day ride planned with my buddy. The day before the ride I decide to check the plugs and air filter (my first time with the bird). Instructions in hand, I remove the tank, air cleaner ect. Plugs look good, K&N air fiter looks good. I put it back together.

Get ready for the ride this morning. Gear on, bike to bike communication charged, tank bag set, ready to go.

Start the bird up, gas is low. Head down to the gas station. Bird spudders and dies. Pushed the bird to the gas station. Filled it up. Birds starts again, spudders and dies. Broke out the onboard tool kit. lifted the tank, check the fuel lines. All looks good. Start the bird, spudders and dies. :burn:

Now I'm late for my ride, birds dead and buddy is pissed but on the way to help (there was a timeline involved).

Start pushing my bird back home (1/2 mile or so). After pushing that bird up steep S.F. hills for about 30min. I thought I was going to die. Buddy arrives to help push (THANK GOD!).

Get home. Gather myself ( :drinkbeer: ). Take apart everything again. Finally, with the tank off I notice that the fuel will not drain out (yes, with the gas knob turned to the ON position). There seems to be a vacuum hose connected to the petcock valve (not sure of the spelling). I notice that there seem to be two vacuum nipples coming out of the petcock. One at at 6 o'clock and one at say 9 o'clock. :bigshock:. The correct nipple sit at the 9 o'clock postion on the petcock. To look at the two, it was very hard to tell which was the real one :oops: .

Put the vaccuum hose on the correct nipple. Start the bird, vrrrmmm. Purrrr, purrrr, purrrr. All is good :grin:. What a dumbass I feel like now.

I will never work on the bird again. I feel like stupidest person on the face of the planet.

You aren't the first to do this, or the last!! That is exactly what Santiago's PROFESSIONAL mechanic did!! I had to drive 40 minutes to spend 15 seconds changing the vacuum lines for him! Why Honda put that convenient, misleading lower (6:00) tip on I will never know!! They scrimped on hose too, that 3:00 one can BARELY reach with the length of hose they give you. Feel free to work on the bird again, you have now passed the more difficult of maintenance tasks on it!!!

Alan

OMG! I did the exact same thing, had the exact same problem!!! That's funny.

Well, not really. I pushed it 3 km's, but it was reasonably flat.

Thanks guys. It's comforting knowing that this mistake could be considered a common mistake (stupid though). I have never seen a carbed motorcycle that needed a vacuum line to release any gas at all from the petcock valve. Live and learn I guess.

That bird is sure heavy. Going to sleep like a baby tonight.

It's an automatic shutoff, since gas only flows when vacuum is present, probably for safety reasons. It is also a nice convenience to not have to fool with a shutoff all the time like old bikes.

My 85 Yamaha petcock has it also, and has RUN, RESERVE, and PRIME, but no off position. The prime setting flows even w/o vacuum, which is nice to fill the carbs before starting if it has sat for a while.

Steve

If you want more room for the vac. hose you can dissasemble th petcock and the nipple can be aimed down, that's what I did.

The OTHER nipple Has only a tiny pin hole in it and is for atmospheric press. to get to the rubber diaphram in the petcock.

LOL....

Thats not as good as mine..

My buddy and I were meeting at a central location between where he lives and I. about a 20 minute ride for each. I get there. Get a call on my celly...

He has an XX also...

"nik, my bike won't start, and the oil light is on" "I tried to push start it and everything" "nothing" I checked the oil, and it is fine...

He tells me where he was at. I drove over there...

Any guesses before I give it away?

ding ding ding....

(that was too easy)

I flicked the kill switch to run... Bike fired right up.

He said "what'd you do"

I said "you flipped your kill switch"

"NO I DIDN'T"

"YES YOU DID"

"NO I DIDN'T"

"Ok, whatever"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yea I've also made that mistake with that vacuum hose. I also had a problem with this idiot mechanic that repositioned a vacuum tube from one cylinder on my crankcase to another trying to synch my carbs and had by bike sounding like a Triumph tripple. The idiot had the nerve to try to convince me that the bike is supposed to sound this way.....I ended up taking it somewhere else to find out what the problem was.

I feel like stupidest person on the face of the planet.

We've been saying that since the day you registered ! :lol:

It's a mistake anyone but me could make !

Don't feel bad..if I had done that...I'd either have to BLOW JOE to get him to come back to my house....or pay the dealer to look at it so he could laugh and tell me that he FLUX CAPACITOR was dead and I need a new engine...and that he can give me a special deal of $6,499 for it...INSTALLED !

P.S....I am the stupidest person on the planet by the way....please don't take the one think that has kept me going this long in life.