CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone do the fake hardwood floor stuff?

MaXX

You can get laminate flooring wet, but you have to wipe it up RIGHT away.

If Gus's water bowls aren't in the kitchen then its just a matter of wiping up a spill (even if its just water) right away.

You might be fine with laminate in your kitchen.

Foyer... no way...

Hardwood... mmmm.... Not in a foyer... I mean you can do it, but...

Tiling is NOT hard. Especially a small spot like that foyer. And since its already tile, you're sub floor is already prepped...

Just pick out some new tile, rip of the old shit and lay some new stuff.

Its a lot more work then laminate would be, but overall, not bad.

Half-day to tile it, then after it sets an hour to grout it. (then about 10 hours wiping the tile) (ok, I'm kidding about the 10 hours, but wiping grout is the worst part... Pain in the ass)

Do you really want to put laminate flooring over tile? In a foyer?

I don't have a huge ammount of experience with laminate flooring (mostly because where I considered using it, it doesn't perform well, but I don't think a foyer is a good place for it.

Water and laminate flooring DO NOT go well together.

Salt water (from boots, etc) would be even worse.

I would reconsider putting laminate flooring in your foyer.

And if your kitchen has those patio doors coming in or even just the fact that its a kitchen, I'd be hesitant to use laminate flooring there too. Laminate flooring and water DON'T mix.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but with a dog, splashing his water bowl on the floor, tracking snow it, etc etc.

Laminate doesn't sound like the best choice for your situation and the places you want to use it. Family room, or Den, or office is one thing. Kitchens, bathrooms and foyers... I think you'll regret using laminate.

OK NOW!

Before everybody freaks out, thanks to NIK! I have had my laminate flooring in My Kitchen and My Foyer for over 4 years....

... and with 2 dogs, 2 kids, 3 cats, and my messy self.... there is almost nothing tougher than my Armstrong flooring. 4 years of hard abuse, salt water, Mag chloride, numberous fliped over dog bowls, dirt-n-mud, dog piss, cat puke, etc. and this floor looks as good as the day I installed it!

No Shit!

Water doesn't do shit to this stuff!

Max...... I got one word for you.... Armstrong!

I'll e-mail you pics. No.... wait a minute.... I don't have your e-mail address.... Send me a PM.

Nik........ go beat on some Iron. :razz:

Thanks for the first hand experience Eric. I think Nik is referring to the cheaper stuff as I was even worried about that. Where can I get Armstrong flooring or price it out?

MaXX

You can get laminate flooring wet, but you have to wipe it up RIGHT away.

I think the newer laminates like what I put down is 100 times better about being water resistant. I had the dog knock a bowl of water on the way out and I didn't know it (prolly almost a gallon) and when we got back from 2 days being gone it didn't soak 1 bit up it just beaded up on top. Awesome shit! You clean the stuff with mild soapy water so a little tracking in shouldn't hurt.

Well, like I said, I never put it in because I heard from a number of sources, the most reliable of which was my best friend who works for a custom Kitchen remodeling place for the past 9 years. They won't put it in a kitchen.

He's recommended that I not use laminate flooring for that reason. That's why I didn't put it in my house. If you do a google search, you'll find a lot of people saying the same things.

If you've had success with it... Great... I got scared away from using it.

I wanted something that I could be confident would last 20 years. I didn't trust the laminate.

Well, like I said, I never put it in because I heard from a number of sources,

Nik, Nik, Nik....

See what you get from listening to them.... :roll: ..... just stick with us pal, we (the Board) are your best and most faithful reliable sources. :wink: :grin:

I just don't want to be your F/F!.... :shock: :grin: That would be very bad. :lol:

just stick with us pal, we (the Board) are your best and most faithful reliable sources

Can't argue with that...

So what should I lube my..... Oh nevermind. :razz:

I told you, LARD!!!

Thanks for all your help fella's. I am feeling really good about doing this shit. I am not going to do the foyer until I can do the two doors in the foyer, but I am going to buy all the materials at once. I will probably do the doors/foyer in Spring, the kitchen, sometime in February, the Roof/skylight, Spring/Summer.

MaXX

just stick with us pal, we (the Board) are your best and most faithful reliable sources

Can't argue with that...

So what should I lube my..... Oh nevermind. :razz:

KY..... you know that! Everything gets better around here with alittle Lube!