CBR1100XX.org Forum

Header studs and nuts delema

Rales

I got a new exhaust for the bike, when I went to install it all of the studs came out with the nuts except for two. So I tried to seperate the two before reinstalling. I tried two nuts on one end and trying to break the other free, no luck. So finnaly I gave in and put the nut in the vice really softly and then got on the shoulder in the middle with vicegrips carefully. Well they all came out after that. Although they also took threads with them. I am the second owner so I'm now sure what he did to the bike if anything. Either way now i need atleast one nut and stud. The rest I suppose could be reused as they still work fine after cleaning them up. Any ideas where I can track down the stud, would a metric hardware maybe have it or would it be too low of a grade? Or should I not even chance the old studs with some threads missing and just buy all new? The threads that are missing is only 1 thread maybe quarter to a half way around the stud. I really want to get this new exhaust on and I was suppose to do a ride this weekend. Good timing huh? :roll:

Guest rockmeupto125

If you have a die, just run it down the studs.

Dorman may have a suitable size, if an auto parts store near you carries that brand. And you never know, the dealer might actually have them...they might fit some other Honda, eh?

Frankly, if it were me, I'd clean up the threads with a file or die, and put the studs back in.

8mm x 1.25 is the thread size, so you can just pick up the required length of stud.

FWIW, I had the same problem with mine, and chased the threads as Joe described.

Re-installed with anti-sieze, with no issues.

It's like the factory plating comes off, and galls up the threads.

Thanks a ton for all the info guys, but isnt the stud 8mm on one side and 7mm on the other. I just relooked at it and it looks like its got a differnt size one each end. The end that is I need to clean up would be the end for the nut which i believe is 7mm. Looks like im gona gather up the parts I need and go store hopping hoping to find the correct stuff. Also the shop where I was supposed to get the one nut I needed thought they had two finds out they have none. So hopefully I can clean that up with a tap. :roll:

Thanks again!

Dave

Thanks guys, I was just trying to confirm. I checked ron ayers but its going to take a week to receive them. I will go there if I dont get any luck today. I'm just going to go to a couple places and take what I need with me. Wish me luck.

It won't hurt anything if you just go with what you've got. Just make sure you reinstall all the studs in the head. At worst, you'll have a minor exhaust leak. And, if you order new studs, you can run the threads with a tap when you get the new ones. Have a good ride! :grin: