CBR1100XX.org Forum

Replace front sprocket w/ chain?

Redbird

I'm going to be doing my chain soon (first time on this bike) - those of you who already have, did you you replace the front sprocket? My rear is good to go, but I can't see the front without taking it apart.

So my question is this- what kind of condition did you guys find the front in when you did the chain, and should I just go ahead and order one when I get the chain?

Redbird

How many miles are on your sprocket :?: , You should always change both at the same time as long as they are made of the same metal :wink: . Idealy you should change all three (2-sprockets and the chain) this way they can mate with each other. worn sprockets will shorten the life of a new chain. :sad: . Plus why do the labor twice, also you can get a deal on all three. I beleive honda sells them as a package. Do not run an aluminum sprocket. the weight savings is not the 8-10,000 miles you will get.

Hope this helps

Harry

Tim,

I would replace the front sprocket as it spins approximately 2.5 times more than the rear sprocket. I've done my chain and sprockets twice. First time at 39k miles and the second time at 57k miles. The aftermarket sprocket was hooked way worse than the OEM one.

I simply loosened the left fairing...no need to take it off, unbolted the "slave cylinder"...the thing that pushes the clutch rod, unbolted the front sprocket cover, replace sprockets and chain. Installation is reverse. I hope that you get an OEM sprocket as they last way longer than aftermarket.

Great Day!

John

imhO - if your chain did you justice over 18k, definitely replace the front sprocket also.

Thanks for the input, guys :grin:

I'm a little short of 15k, gonna go ahead and order a new OEM front with the chain. The rear is showing pretty much no sign of wear, should be good for at least one more chain. I had considered going down a tooth up front, but don't want to give up the milage.

Tim, I say that you should go down one tooth on the front sprocket. Why?? Because you are still going to beat Jerry's ass on the Beemer and you will be able to wheelie like crazy.

BMW= Bike Mighty Wimpy :lol:

J/K Jerry....some guys like to go slow :lol: :wink:

It's not losing the top end that'd bug me, I can count the times I've been over 165 on one...okay, maybe two... hands. Seriously, I don't go that fast that often for it to be a consideration. Stopping every 130-140 miles for gas, that'd get old pretty quick.

Besides, with stock gearing, I've got a chance of topping Jerry out in third gear :grin: :grin: . Gonna have to try that, too Bad jerry's never in this section, he won't even know he's being abused over here..........

i dumbed down my fi (leaner) with my power commander in the cruising rpms and throttle positions and am getting 170 miles plus per tank - not even flashing yet, and I went down to a 16T :cool:

my commute has calculated out to 168 miles round trip and I was damned if i was going to stop for gas more than once a day! :shock:

The front definitely must be replaced. It wears fast. In fact, I think it's worse than I'd like even before the chain is done. I'm thinking the chain MIGHT last longer if changed sooner, and I plan to try that soon.

The rear, however, will easily go for two chain changes, maybe more.

Hey now!

I still have my 12 vern, so don't make me come down there :evil: Do you have a crush on me? Seems like you make fun of every bike I own. Sorry buddy, you're a little "old" for me. :wink:

Birdbrain, You change both. What's your problem? :???: