CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carb Removal - Impossible?

TechnoGecko

On 2/10/2021 at 1:01 PM, SwampNut said:

Oil of wintergreen is surprisingly dangerous, and Xylene is plenty dangerous.  Anyone trying this should research and not jump into it.

And there's me been using this for years...

https://shop.redmond.life/collections/earthpaste/products/earthpaste-wintergreen-4-oz 

59 minutes ago, fizzy said:

Does it make your teeth all soft and pliable?

Funnily enough, No. 

It does however leave them much cleaner and feeling way better than any other toothpaste I've used.  I also like the cinnamon flavour.

7 hours ago, JaBr said:

Doc says you gonna die.  But no, if you ate the tube, you'd have problems, they just keep the oil level very low.  And no Xylene, that would be a bit problematic in your mouth.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 1:50 PM, XXitanium said:

"Oil of Wintergreen is methyl salicylate, an agent that keeps rubber pliable. The Xylene opens the pores of the rubber so the Oil gets in. Over time the Xylene evaporates."

https://www.amazon.com/Methyl-Salicylate-1000ml-Purity-Wintergreen/product-reviews/B00MR72E3U?reviewerType=all_reviews

DON'T DRINK IT.

THIS!! ⬆️

I did the carbs on my V65 Sabre and those carbs are a SOAB to get in. As an experiment I soaked 1 for an hour, 1 for 4 hours, 1 overnight, and didn't do 1. I found not much difference between 4 hours and overnight and a bit of a difference between 1 hour and 4 hours. But a big difference between 1 hour and not at all. Given a choice, if I needed to get the job done I'd go for 4 hours. I also left them off for a week after the bath to see if they'd go rock hard again,..............nope, still soft. I also used Isopropyl Alcohol instead of Xylene. Way safer and we get it in 45 gallon drums at work.  One thing I do not remember checking is if the rubber swells. Softens yes absolutely, but I can't remember if there's a dimensional change. We can get the oil here in Ontario at health food stores but it's a bit pricey, $20 for a small bottle. If you need to put a carb boot in a container and submerge it and you don't have enough, throw in some spare clean hardware, enough to raise the level of fluid to surround the part.

Don't know who the original person was that found this out but thank you a hundred times over!! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, blackhawkxx said:

Are they still available? 

Evidently. The shop I took the bike to here in AZ got new ones and installed them.

They had to clean and rebuild the carbs, they were all gummed up from sitting.

I can contact them and find out where they got them. 

12 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I am surprised, it looks as it is available.  #6  I don't know if they are $32.74 for 4 or each?

While $33ea seems a hair steep, I can't imagine them being $8ea.  If they are I'll take a set just in case.