CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carb Removal - Impossible?

TechnoGecko

Alright. I give up. I've been trying to get the carbs off this bike for over two hours now. Ive loosened the clamps at the bottom and wiggled back and forth and pulled like all hell. Even got someone else to help pull. Used a 2x4 as a pivot point, you name it. They haven't even budged. I've sprayed the hoses with wd40 hoping to work them loose, not a chance.

Got the jetkit, now I can't install it because I can't get the carbs off! ARGH! Any ideas? The shop manual says 'ease the carbs off, however they may be snug'

Snug?!?! More like welded on.

*sigh* Ideas?

:shock: :shock:

WoW!! I've never heard of this trouble. Perhaps the last owner used thread lock to hold the carbs in the boots :lol:

I remember mine coming out nice and easy, like too easy.

Did you try putting a torch to the carb bowls yet :lol::lol:

Sorry bro, I would be the guy scratching his head while I watched you jerk on them if I was there.

My XX is injected, but on my old XS11 you couldn't pull the carbs out of the boots as much as you had to "bend" them out by grabbing them at the back and pushing straight down and up to break them loose, for what it's worth.

Hope this idea helps.

I've just spent another 2 hours this morning rocking and pulling, these thing will not come out to save my soul. The only other idea I had was to use a heat gun to warm up the rubber and hopefully have it get soft enough to brake loose. But obviously gas + heatgun = diaster

Sooooo....

I was able to install the needle and springs without removing the carbs, I just need to change the jet now which I can't get to unless I remove the carbs. The bird uses 142s right now, and this kit says to use 136s or 140s. Any chance if I just say screw it and see how it runs on the 142s that it'll preform decent?

I've been yanking, pulling, wiggling, rocking, screaming, and crying over these carbs now for over 5 hours. I can't believe this is so diffucult. It took me a good hour on the Magna, but this is insane!

Ideas?

Yeeaaaa........

It is -not- possible to get the carbs off this bike. Don't get me wrong, I've removed carbs off other bikes ( both the Magna and Shadow ) and while its diffucult, at least you can see yourself making progress. Took me about 20-30 minutes on the Shadow and a good hour on the Magna.

I tried for over 20 hours to remove those carbs. Its just not humanly possible. Heat gun, wedging a screwdriver between the seals, wd40, rubber lubricant - you name it. There was no way they were comming off. Now having spent $120 on this jet kit I was really pissed. But dammit, no bike was going to beat me!

I removed the tops off the carbs and changed the needles and drilled the hole just fine, the diffucult part was in the jets. With some help and alot of patience I was able to remove the float bowls from the carbs ( took me two hours to remove all four ) and change the jets. Then I managed to get them all back on! It was so incredibly time intensive, but it worked.

So in the end I got the bike jetted, and boy does it scream faster than it ever has before. The flat spot is totally gone, and the bike runs like a dream. Unforuntley I broke the choke cable *slaps forehead* so I've got one on order that'll be here Wednesday - but besides that its all done!

I'll post some pictures of the bike when I get a chance, its going to be a chaotic beginning of the week here however.

So in the end all I have to say is "fuck you" to the Honda service manual that says "Ease the carbs off". Ease my ass, I don't think Arnold could get those suckers off there. But in the end, its got the kit on - runs great. My knuckles are all bloody from working in the tiny area, but all in the name of a good running bike!

Thanks for your help :)

Success! :lol:

THAT must have been a PITA!! I remove my carb bank just to adjust the pilot screws. Can't imagine replaceing jets while installed.

My choke cable has been broke for years, right at the end where it snaps into the bracket at the carbs. I just zip tie it into the bracket every time the carbs come out.

How are you going to check your valves?.... carbs have to come out. :cry:

Just thought of something. You do know that there is a clamp on either side of the rubber intakes??? If you can't break them loose at the carbs maybe you can at the head.

• 16 years later...

I'm having the same exact problem as we speak. I had the carb of about 6 months ago and it came off easily. I had an aftermarket full exhaust that I installed at the same time I rebuilt and jetted the carbs. But now I can figure out what to do I have lossened the clamps on both sides but I am running out of ideas. If you figured it out please share cause I love my bird but right now I wana throw this bitch in to a lake and say fuck it. I've gone over my service manual 20 times to make sure I didn't over look anything or for something stupid. 

29 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Cold in Pittsburgh, ain't it?

They gotta be nice and warm to flex enough to come off.

Exactly what I was thinking.  Also make sure you've loosened the clamps enough.  Not just released tension, they need to be able to let the boots expand to get over the ridge they're sitting in.  If the bike will still start you could run the engine for a while to get some heat in the boots.

2 hours ago, 97bbxx said:

I'm having the same exact problem as we speak. I had the carb of about 6 months ago and it came off easily. I had an aftermarket full exhaust that I installed at the same time I rebuilt and jetted the carbs. But now I can figure out what to do I have lossened the clamps on both sides but I am running out of ideas. If you figured it out please share cause I love my bird but right now I wana throw this bitch in to a lake and say fuck it. I've gone over my service manual 20 times to make sure I didn't over look anything or for something stupid. 

Mine were hard as rock even in the height of summer...it was extremely hard to get them off...ultimately I bought some off of ebay that were not as hard and cut the old ones off

"Oil of Wintergreen is methyl salicylate, an agent that keeps rubber pliable. The Xylene opens the pores of the rubber so the Oil gets in. Over time the Xylene evaporates."

https://www.amazon.com/Methyl-Salicylate-1000ml-Purity-Wintergreen/product-reviews/B00MR72E3U?reviewerType=all_reviews

DON'T DRINK IT.

WOW!  Never would have guessed, that's an awesome tip.  One of the reviewers says he uses alcohol, so assuming that's effective, you're far better off than trying to stay safe with Xylene.  It is easily absorbed into tissue and shouldn't be used without a respirator.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, XXitanium said:

"Oil of Wintergreen is methyl salicylate, an agent that keeps rubber pliable. The Xylene opens the pores of the rubber so the Oil gets in. Over time the Xylene evaporates."

https://www.amazon.com/Methyl-Salicylate-1000ml-Purity-Wintergreen/product-reviews/B00MR72E3U?reviewerType=all_reviews

DON'T DRINK IT.

Nice to know!  The first two reviews are from people using it for motorcycle carb parts, then another a few down from that.  Along with a warning to not let them soak too long as they'll swell up.

I don't know why I never thought of a hair dryer I heated and worked for an hour and got it off finally. I'm also ordering some of that oil for the future. But it's off new boots and carb kit are on my list for tommorrow