CBR1100XX.org Forum

Swing Arm Removal tool

bajjer9

Does anyone have the tool to remove the swingarm that they would loan to Big Boy and myself...you see If I can find one then he willl sell me his polished one so he needs it obviously to remove it and I need it to replace mine of course...if not does anyone know where I could get one? Louie? John?

Thanks

You know this is the ONLY site I know where members help each other out so much.

I have seen it happen several times where someone will UPS a tool or what not to a fellow member, use it and then they send it back to the owner :cool:

Some people on other sites I would be leary of sending them a used condom :shock:

I borrowed the same tool from Speedygeezer. Borrowed it in April, gave it back to him this November :oops: . I was very appreciative of his gesture to lend it to me.

Thanks again, Joe.

Awesome resource of information and camaraderie, no doubt about it.

J.

Guest rockmeupto125
I'm gonna be in need of that same tool in the near future, but I'll probably buy one myself.

Jason.......you can get new ones at Planned Parenthood for free, y'know....

Jason, depending on when you need it, James could always send mine to you when he's done with it.

I'm not planning on pulling my swingarm off anytime soon, so I'm in no hurry.

Feel free to coordinate with James if you don't feel like buying the tool, just let me know where it ends up :)

Thanks for the offer, Tim.

I don't know exactly when I'll need it and for how long, that's why I don't really want to borrow it. I don't want to be the guy holding onto it for too long.

If things change, I'll let you and James know. Again, thanks.

Thanks for the offer, Tim.

I don't know exactly when I'll need it and for how long, that's why I don't really want to borrow it. I don't want to be the guy holding onto it for too long.

If things change, I'll let you and James know. Again, thanks.

hehe by the time ya got it from me you might have that left panel I promised ya when you were a teenager!! No wonder your reluctant!! :roll:

You know this is the ONLY site I know where members help each other out so much.

I have seen it happen several times where someone will UPS a tool or what not to a fellow member, use it and then they send it back to the owner :cool:

Some people on other sites I would be leary of sending them a used condom :shock:

Spot on! I take great pride in being apart of this site. I have been a member on a Mustang site for many years and use to like it. Now I just go there to piss people off because they are nothing but immaturekids. And the moderators are chomping at the bit to lock threads :lol:

Another one. Joe (Rockme) sent out like $50 worth of shirts that I ordered last year and I sent out the money order before receiving them. I didn't even think twice about it :wink: There is no other site in which I would even think about doing that.

I can never say how great this place is. Carlos, Joe and all the other moderators do a great job; and the members are the best :cool:

steve

On this subject, does anyone ever go in and take appart all the rear suspension linkages and lube the bearings, or should I leave it alone?

I never did it on my Sabre, factory lube still in there at over 100K miles. :???:

I ended up doing it on my 27k mile 1997 while I had the engine out. Seals were fine, bearings good, lube clean. I wouldn't mess with it, beyond removing the shock and checking for smoothness.

J.

SOCKET TOOL CUT WITH DREMEL TO MAKE THE TEETH.

1- Use piece of cardboard cut the the diameter of the hole in the frame.

2- Press hard enough to make an impression onto the cardboard.

3- Set socket upside down onto cardboard and make the lines to cut with dremel. Use a permanent marker.

4- Cut lines about 1/4" in depth. (might be more but you can start at 1/4)

5- Use file to smooth away rough edges or to fine tune the fit into the castle nut.

6- If memory serves me correctly I used either a one inch or a 1 1/8" socket.

I used this trick that elixxer suggested when rebuilding my bird. It worked like a champ !!

Louie

On this subject, does anyone ever go in and take appart all the rear suspension linkages and lube the bearings, or should I leave it alone?

I only ever did it on my Valkyrie because I was changing out the Valkyrie swingarm for an 1800 Goldwing swingarm. I had to manufacture some spacers to adapt the Valkyrie pinchbolts to the Goldwing bearings. That was kinda interesting, but with more than 25,000 miles on the stock swingarm and bearings, everything was pristine.

And, just so you all know, you can make the swingarm & engine mount tool by cutting away the edges on the appropriate sized socket for far less than a the official Honda tools.  I think I bought the sockets for around $2 apiece and had them cut in about 10 minutes with a cutoff wheel.

I was going to do that, but my dealer said to give him a check for the cost of ordering a new one. He loaned me the one he had, and gave me the check when I brought it back.

If you're ever near Dayton, Ohio, Sporty's Honda in Fairborn is a good place. The owner is a stand-up guy, and the shop folks actually listen to you.