CBR1100XX.org Forum

Shock Installation

TFT

I just received my Ohlins shock from Dan Kyle today! WooHoo!!! I know there was a lot of discussion and evn pictures of how to install the reservoir etc in earlier posts. In fact I think it was listed before the sight went down. Does anyone have thos pics showing how to mount the reservoir and the pre-load adjuster?

Maybe the photos and any additional pertinent data could be listed in the "Important/useful threads" section.

Thanks for the help

That's what I did- moved the res' around to the opposite side from the install drawing, just above the grab handle on the left. Earlier models could place them on the right no problem. The pre-load adj' can go on the right pipe hanger bracket or passenger footpeg.

Francis

Tom,

There is NOT much incorrect you can do. The resovoir fits whereever it fits. on the newer bikes 02, it seems to like to be on the left side under the rear cowl.

1) Put bike on centerstand, if you let the rear wheel hang off a curb its easier as it gives you more clearnce

2)Undo the top shock nut

3)Undo the lower triangle plates

4)Verify there arent any things hanging up the shock--like the resovoir bracket on the 02

5) Pull the shock out the bottom

6) Put new shock in

7) Add 6mm of washer between the frame and upper shock mount

8) put back together

BEFORE you do all this verify that the spring is the correct weight, it comes with a 17.3--unless you made arrangements to have it swapped out-19.3 is better for 200+ guys like myslf

Thanks, AlphaBird.

I tend to be very anal about things so regardless of how simple it may seem, if I haven't done it before, I'm going to check with you guys first.

I ordered the shock through Dan Kyle in order to ensure the spring matched my weight - 190 lbs. I'll be installing it when I get home this afternoon. WooHoo!!!!

Tom, after you've got it fitted (Alpha's instructions are spot-on) don't adjust anything. Ohlins shocks take a long time to break in - typically 600+ miles. They feel quite harsh to start with, but will loosen up over time. I'm the same weight as you and I found I needed to add one full turn of preload on the adjuster and then soften two clicks of compression and one of rebound to get a nice plush ride.

I installed the shock Friday afternoon. Yeah, it was pretty simple, but like I said I always check with you guys first, I don't like surprises.

It rides much better than the original. There is a bump just as I enter a left hand turn on my favorite road that feels like it bounces the bike right off the pavement. Very unsettling!! It was much more controlable with the Ohlins. It's still a fair bump, but doesn't make me seem like I am airborne. (Ok, there may be some exaggeration in the harshnes of the bump)

My favorite road:

20035264187626118955432.jpg