CBR1100XX.org Forum

Jetting

bar10dah

Is this something that I can install myself just by following the instructions? Or, should I just pay to have it installed and tuned?

I've spoken to four shops:

1) dragracing shop says $290 for installation and dynotuning. supposedly good at what they do. both mechanics are dragracers.

2) another dragracing shop says $300 for installation and dynotuning. again, good at what they do, but mostly work on suzukis. also hear they may not be the best bet because they mainly tune for max power, not smoothness of the powerband.

3) Hondashop says $325 for installation and dynotuning. the wrenches there are also racers when they're not working. plus, they're very experienced with hondas.

4) performance shop says $300 for installation and tuning by feel. supposedly this guy is also good at what he does. also claims about 1000 jetkit installations.

What would YOU do? (owners of '99s and newer need not reply if they're just gonna brag about having FI :wink: )

Well, I put mine in and it takes some time but is not too hard if you are into working on motors and things. My total cost was $45.00 and my bike runs great but putting it on the dyno is the only true way of knowing the bike is jetted right. If you are sure that they would dyno it and take the carbs back off to try different settings, well then it would be worth it but it sure would take a lot of time to do it this way.

As one who clogged this forum awhile back on the same subject, here's my input FWIW.

Actual rejet job: 2-3 hrs if things go smoothly, and you know what you're doing.

You're gonna hafta resync the carbs, which, if you don't have a sync tool, will run you 40-120 bucks. Most shops charge 30-65 for this, which is total crap. I bought the low ender 40 buck one, and it works fine.

My dealer wanted 300 to install kit and 1 dyno run. 75 additional for any more runs (how the heck can you tell with only 1 dyno run???)

I did it myself (with the help of many board members here!), and gotta say, it's really pretty easy. If you go with the recommended settings, you should be pretty close to spot on, unless you're heavily mod'ed. I have aftermarket pipes only, and I SCREAM now on recommended settings. Mileage dropped from 38-42 to 29-32, but I no longer care. Truly transformed the bike.

If you do it yourself, it'd be crazy not to change out the plugs while you're under there, so add in an hour or so to r&r them.

My advice: Do it yourself. Not that tough, you'll understand your bike better, and get that oh-so-good feeling of "I didn't let my dealer hose me!!!" (priceless)

Do it your self. Everone gets so worked up on dyno runs. What's important is what you feel every time you ride.

I put in a dynojet kit, mileage dropped almost 10 mpg, seat of the pants I felt no diff. I dynoed before and after and basically the power curve moved 500 rpm lower so in other words it happens earlier. While rideing couldn't tell. Maybe if I put on pipes it would be worth it. It still would be near redline power increase though.

Moral of my story, Jet kit removed, back to 40 mpg, power is fine. 135 on a Dynojet mod. # 150 Dyno.

The kit comes with a drill bit to enlarge the slide hole which causes it to rise sooner so I am benifiting from that.

Jet kit still for sale Make offer.

Pete-

Guess I was under the impression that if the holes in the slide were large enough to accept the kit needles, everything was OK, so I didn't drill my slides--is there actually any performance gain to be had by drilling? Hard to believe the kit didn't have a big effect on your bike--mine was nite & day.

L8r

chad

If you're mechanically inclined, go an buy the kit and a morgan

carbtune II and put it in yourself. Then find a local dealer who

will dyno you. You can make all of your adjustments in your

spare time and tune it perfectly for exactly what you are looking

for (power, or efficiency)

I bought the kit for $40.0, the carbtune II for $80.0 and each

dynorun at my local dealer is $28.0..

:cool: TJ :cool:

voodoo-

I was under the impression that if the holes in the slide were large enough to accept the kit needles

You don't drill the slides where the needles point goes into, you are drilling out the vacuum hole.

DOH!

Any idea of what the consequences are if you DON'T drill out the vacuum holes? (assuming the bike has the smaller holes from the factory) Seems to me like this would allow the slide to lift the needle more quickly, which would kill my mileage even more--true?

Well, most people that buy the Blackbird are not looking for high mileage but my jet kit did make a night and day difference in fixing the flat spot. I hear the Honda Rebel gets great mileage. :grin: :grin: :lol:

Not trying to pinch pennies on mileage, I'm ecstatic with my bike since the jet kit transformation. It's just that to truly enjoy a bike like the blackbird, I need to really get away from the city (ie LEO) where she can stretch her legs and run. Out here in TX, it's easy to find yourself far away from a gas station, hence the concern over range.

I like mileage! And I like power. I want a balance of the two. If I get a 5hp increase with a 12 mpg drop, I'd rather not have the 5 extra horses. My bike runs just fine on the stock HP. Now, if I were to have that same 5hp, but with only a 3mpg drop, then I wouldn't mind the tradeoff.

I went the jet kit and dyno route on my last bike. (Yam FZR-1000) When I was all done, I gained about 7 hp. I wound up going smaller on the main jets, and richer in the mid range. Spent a lot of dyno time trying to remove a flat spot in the lower end of the powerband. Mileage dropped from the low 40's to low to mid 30's. I would go on reserve after 120 miles. I ran out of gas twice in the mountains. It (the extra horsepower) was not worth it. I would gladly give up a few horespower to be able to go 200 miles on a tank of fuel. That's why I'm not touching the jetting on my 'bird.

Can't actually say apples to apples that my mileage is as bad as I've seen lately. My rejetting coincided with my finding some great "twisty bits"-- a 330 mile loop where I ride the "pin and grin" style. My 43 mpg record was done on the superslab on a trip back from the AR mountains. I'd guess that if I could control my right wrist a little better, I could hit 35-37 mpg on the open road at 75 mph. My bike just seems to gravitate to 85 mph.

I went with the bigger mains, might look into switching out to the smaller ones, but for right now, I'm enjoying the power increase.

I'll do it for $100. :)

I've done I think 4 of them, and am down to an hour and a half now. If you were in the Seattle area I'd say come on over!! Seriously, it's not that hard to do, IF you are mechanically inclined. If not it could be a royal pain and frustrating, if you ever did get it right. The plugs themselves are an exercise in frustration just by themselves!! ;)

I'd hate to pay $300. to any of the above, but that's from the point of view of someone who already knows how. Get some buddies that are mechanical and just tackle it! And don't mess with the Dynojet, get the Factory Pro kit, no drilling to mess with!

My $.02......

Alan

don't mess with the Dynojet, get the Factory Pro kit, no drilling to mess with!

If you have a early Bird with the small holes and don't drill them, you will not get the same performance as if you had drilled them. That is why Honda made the holes larger after a while.