CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Windows

N1K

Tim, on another note, if we do the roof, can we just remove the skylight? I think I will tongue and grove the ceiling of the bathroom so with some insulation, I could just fill the skylight hole? Lets talk after I post the pics.

MaXX

Here is a cool idea for you... remove the Skylight from the roof, but leave the opening inside, edge frame it with some molding , put a light up inside it that's activated by a wall switch, and the put a piece of frosted glass in - on the molding to make it look as though there is still a skylight there. :wink:

Later you can throw stuff inside it on top of the glass like dried leaves or twigs to give it an out-doorsy look.

That would not be very hard to do at all. Something to consider.

MaXX

Eliminating the skylite won't be any easier that fixing or replacing it, and I have a feeling you'll miss it if it's gone.

I've installed skylites in bathrooms once or twice, and the difference in the room- light, illusion of more space- is incredible. Tape a piece of cardboard over it for a few days, you'll see what I mean.

Eric's idea splits the middle- no natural light, but you'd still have the well with a light source at the top, but by the time you're done setting that up you'll have spent more time than you would have fixing it.

Get some dimensions for me, length and width right at the top, basically the inside dimension of the opening up by the roof. I'll get you a price on a new one, so you'll know the worst case. Should be under $300 regardless.

Oh, yeah- take a pic of the skylite, from inside the bathroom, so I can get an idea of what you have up there........

Keep it, it won't leak when I'm done.

Seriously, this is what I do, skylites specifically- I troubleshoot for other roofing companies on shit like this.

Yes... by all means keep it if you like it. Skylites aren't that tough to deal with, heck I thought you didn't like the hole in your roof. Some poeple are funny like that.

Keep it, it won't leak when I'm done.

Seriously, this is what I do, skylites specifically- I troubleshoot for other roofing companies on shit like this.

Yes... by all means keep it if you like it. Skylites aren't that tough to deal with, heck I thought you didn't like the hole in your roof. Some poeple are funny like that.

No, I like the skylight a lot, I just hate the fucking water damage in this pic.

37769628.jpg

MaXX

• 2 weeks later...

yeah right... and I didn't put the rainbow sticker in my guest bedroom window either... :roll:

Don't hide from who you are fag!

Embrace it!

Embrace ME!

ROTF...

"Yoo Hoo" ROTF....

The visual is just too much..

I do have some sad news to relay...

I replaced 8 more windows in my house this past weekend... And the rainbow sticker'ed window went in the trash monday morning...

I actually considered peeling the sticker off, or just saving the window... for posterity... But... Too late now..

I can only wonder what the sanitation engineers were thinking when they came by my house to pick up trash the other day..

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know if you can paint vinyl???

I put 2 new windows in my kitchen, and the sill/trim, I painted a 'river rock' textured paint when the original wood frame windows were in.

Now that I took the wood frame windows out and replaced with the vinyl pocket replacements, I'm pondering painting the vinyl frame to match the trim/sill..

Will paint stick to vinyl???

No it will not stick very well. It would eventually start cracking and flake off.

You would end up with a large mess on your hands. We had some folks insist on us doing this when I worked for my father ( painting contractor ). We tried to tell them it was not a good idea, but they wanted it. We wrote a provision into the contract, absolving us of any responsibility. Within a year we heard they were trying to scrape of the remaining paint off of the vinyl frames.