CBR1100XX.org Forum

rim sizes

The Krypt Keeper

Our fronts are 3.5" and the rears are 5.5" and the 929's are 3.5 front and 6.0 rear. I know a couple people who run aftermarket wheels for the bird and they run the 6.25" rear wheel with a 190 tire. Looks killer and the wider rear tire with the wider wheel doesn't affect the handling.

Randy also runs a Mototeck undertail, FWIW.

Not sure about a hugger, but there are different styles available. The Pyramid tends to wrap around the tire, and would probably rub a 190, whereas others are flatter, allowing a wider tire.

I call BULLSHIT! A wider rear wheel with wider tire WILL significantly change the handling, anyone who says diferrently has no clue. Maybe it's better in a straight line but the handling change will be dramatic. It is possible that these people are only concerned with the looks or drag-racing capabilities but don't preach that there is no handling difference without knowledge...

Squid/bling factor is raised but handling deminished considerably - bottom line

Steve

Well I would be lying if I said I was looking at aftermarket rims for pure weight savings. The size don't interest me at all, and would prefer to keep the stock size rims. I am looking for different rims purely on a different look cause I hate the black rims. Been thinking about powder coating them a different color also. Any weight savings with a aftermarket rim would just be a added bonas I guess.

I know adding a 190 to the stock rim will kill the turn in. I myself prefer to keep it with a 180 as I love the curves. :wink:

Well for one, I've ridden a bird with a 6.25" wheel with a 190 rear tire on it. Mine has the stock wheel with a 180. I've also ridden a bird with the stock wheel and a 190 on it. The stock wheel and 190 handles like shit. the stock wheel with a 180 handles very well. The 6.25" wheel with a 190 on it handles good. I am not an expert level rider by no means, but I can hold my own with just about anyone out there. I've ridden similar bikes with different setups and noticed the handling differences in all of them. Only at 90% and up pace will you notice a difference with the wider rear wheel and tire. Think about it for a minute. You are increasing the wheel width by 3/4" and increasing the tire width by a little less than a 1/2". If you were to run a 200 tire on the wheel, then you would notice a big difference. With a 6.25" wheel and a 190 tire, you are reducing the radius some, not much, and increasing the contact patch while leaned over. It's just the opposite of the wide tire on a narrow rim. I know a lot of people who run 180 tires on 6" wheels and love them. You can't fit a 180 on a 6.25" wheel. It's just too wide for the tire. We're not talking about a big 240 conversion here now are we? I have ridden the bikes with the different tires and wheels. Have you?

Maybe Randy can chime in on this one about how his bike handles.

Hi guys, mind if I chime in?

The 6.25/190 combo is a great setup IMHO. The turn-in, exit and corning stability is exceptional.

Now I do have several mods done to improve the bikes handling (Rear raised, forks dropped, Penske, Race tech, wheels) but I have the bike so dailed in right now its fucking scarry fun in the twisties. I can back it into a corner when I want now. :shock: and leave darkies on exits from almost apex.

I have ran the stock with 180 and 190 and the 180 handles better, 190 looks better. The 6.25 and the 190 have almost the same profile as my RC with the 180 and smaller 5.5 wheel.

And no I dont run a hugger due to clearance problems with my Mototeck undertail.

In my opinion the set up is awesome.

I call BULLSHIT! A wider rear wheel with wider tire WILL significantly change the handling, anyone who says diferrently has no clue. Maybe it's better in a straight line but the handling change will be dramatic. It is possible that these people are only concerned with the looks or drag-racing capabilities but don't preach that there is no handling difference without knowledge...  

Steve I dont claim to be an expert at anything, my background is 30yrs of riding, AMA Expert rider in my youth, run trackdays on my RC, fast enough to qualify and the back of the grids now at 41yrs, and have racked up about 15-20k per year the last several years.

I'll be happy to show you how well it handles. If you wanna ride my bike, come on up to Nor Cal and lets play!! :grin:

Randy,

Would you mind posting some pics of your 190 from the side and rear? I would love to do the larger rim. Do you know off hand what other bike I can use that larger rim off of or do I need to get a special rim?

I think the stock 180 looks soooo skinny from about 15' away. On the other hand, a 180 looks really sweet and fat on my friends R6.

Thanks.

Rich

No way, Joe. You did exceptionally well with a passenger. Loved the fairing scrapes on the first day within the first hour of riding. The bike I rode with a 190 and a stock wheel had a Shinko Stealth tire on it. Dragracing rubber. The thing is as flat as a board then sharply turns down to the wheel. Did you think mine handled OK? The front was up higher than normal and the rear was set accordingly with the bike on the centerstand and the tire 1/4" off the ground. My front springload was too high.

Since I got your rearsets, I've rubbed my stator cover and just can't get my pegs to drag any more. :roll: It's kind of strange that Ducati put 190's on 5.5" wheels on the 999 from the factory. Guess it's all in suspension setup.

Joe's got the stock 5.5" blackbird rear wheel on his.

Kryptkeeper, If you are just going for a different look, Polish your lips and get some silver paint to match your body color. Dave's bike is done up like that and it looks kick ass, though his is red and gives a bigger contrast to the polishing than silver would. Fully polished wheels look nice as well. There is a powdercoating finish that looks very similar to chrome, almost like a good polish job. I was like you, I didn't like the black wheels especially on a black bike. Too much black for my tastes. I polished my rear wheel and swapped Purple Passion my stripped front wheel and some boot for his polished front. Those aftermarket wheels do look nice, but damn they are pricey. If I had the money, I'd love to get a set of the RC Talledega wheels with a 6.25" rear.

:shock: ok please stop it..

first you gotta own a XX

then you gotta have evil name like me

then you must also have the same damn job as me.

bottom line There aren't very many QC tech that work for mining companies that own a XX.. :-o

Now you also want the same aftermarket rims as me.. :shock:

I am going to ask my parents if I really have a older brother they put up for adoption :grin:

by the way.. http://www.dmtaonline.com/items.asp?CartId...tatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

this is what and where I was looking at when I started this thread :twisted:

Great minds think alike :lol::lol:

I looked on the RC website. I think they are the best looking wheel for the price anywhere. They are made in Bowling Green KY and I could save a bunch of money buying direct from them with no shipping or anything. I'd just ride up there in my truck and pick them up. Good 6 hours round trip.

The wife is doing fine and the daughter is doing great. If you ask the wife, she's not loosing the weight fast enough, she's complaining about weighing 130 lbs. She wants to get back down to her size 4 clothes ASAP. The baby is gaining weight and getting more alert and fun every day.

She does actually :razz: gaining weight every day :lol:

:oops: Damn, forgot to post pics. I'll get on it tonight. Think I got a good one with her sleeping on the couch with her head on our Attack teacup poodle on digital, might have snapped it with a film camera though. I'll get some up.

BDAZ XX,

I commend you on your earlier acheivements and successes. I also acknowledge that you may have been able to overcome most of the ill-effects of the the wider rear wheel/tire combination on the back of the bike but this was done so with MAJOR work changing the geometry so your claim that it does not adversely affect the handling was not addresssed. I am sure you have great riding abilities and that either you or those you know are at a high level in suspension tuning but you know well that the smaller rear wheel tire will make the turn in MUCH better. To deny this is the case would not ring true.

By the sound of the initial post this person is looking moreso for a higher "squid-factor" and not truly concerned with the handling of the bike, which is the case with most people who send their stuff to places like Lindemann racing and otherwise as their set-ups are strickly for tracks and NOT the conditions we find on the streets but it was stated that the wider rear combo does NOT affect handling and that was wrong... can it be overcome with lots of other adjustments, yes but it will always be a detriment to the handling of the bike.

Thank you for the offer to ride it and I also extend an offer for beer and rides should you make it down to S.Cal to play in the canyons down here...

Steve