CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Brake Pads

N1K

Put the Galfer Greens on today.

16,000 miles on my XX, the back pads were pretty low... a Millimeter or less left...

I was suprised the front pads look.. almost 'good'????

34141481.jpg

I'm thinking I've got thousands and thousands of miles left on these fronts?

I think I'll save them and use them again...

Pleased with the Galfer Greens. Braking is significantly better. BIG think I noticed is when I brake its QUIET.. THe stock pads I could hear them during breaking. The Galfers are whisper quiet under braking.

Should I have pulled the metal mesh backing off of the stock pads and installed that on the Galfer pads????

I just pulled the stock pad and put the new ones in without looking to see if I should transfer the metal backing of the other pad to the new one?

I would have installed the original shims, if they will fit without causing drag on the rear brake.

Did you check all the front pads, including the left outer pad? Mine was down to steel @ 12K :oops:

Sergio said no, don't do it (pull the shim). I'm looking for his note.

He said no need because the way the material was made. That's why the Green is one continuous pad rather than the 4 separate sections on the stockers.

I'll find it.

Cool... if its not neccessary that saves me the effort...

And FUCK... I spent a good 20 minutes switching out the pads last night.

That's my quotta for wrenching on the bike for the SEASON!

After a quick check, I couldn't find the post. There are like 8 million posts on this particular thread. Worse than our "Bump" thread.

The context was in reply to this post from Sergio:

You got the right pads, and they will treat you well. Your stock pads are like that, because the compound is so high in metals, that by making "4" pads on one, it helps to reduce heat. The greens run cool by nature of the compounds. So no worries there. As far as cleaning off the rotors, it is simple. 600grit sandpaper and wet sand the rotors in a circular motion. Then wipe clean with a damp cloth. This will give your pads a nice surface to start biting on.

I had asked him about the Green's being one continuous pad versus the 4 "mini-pads" on the stockers. I think his other note stated that since the pad is even and continuous, it didn't need the metal backing as support. But this is a real memory test on this one. If the wisdom around here says put the shim back on, then I'm going to do it (although I've been without them for 2 years). And no, the brakes dd not cause my little mishap.

Glad you like the Greens.

I like my greens, though a word of caution Nik. Be carefull in the rain with these pads. They get really mushy when wet. They are great pads in the dry but take caution the first time you brake in the rain. The stock pads do better when wet than these do.

Be carefull in the rain with these pads.

RAIN!!!

Doesn't that get your bike dirty???

lol

Thanks for the heads up Demon... Do you find the greens WAY quieter?

Did you put the shim on the greens or leave it off?

This is the second time in the last few weeks that someone reported wearing out the rear pads before the fronts. :???: My outside left front OEM pad was down to the metal around 15K miles. The rears still looked great.

Do you use the rear brake most of the time?

i go thru rears in about 12k, fronts in about 18k.... i'm one of those. but i believe it comes from the trailbraking lane splitting that i do, covering heavy all of the time :shock:

Unless they've been de-linked, every XX pilot uses the rear brak to some degree with every braking evolution

True, of course. :) I should have asked if he used the rear brake pedal alone most of the time. That would activate 2 pots on the rear and one each on the fronts and should wear the rear pads more quickly than the fronts.

Do you use the rear brake most of the time?

I didn't think I did, but since the other day seeing how GOOD my fronts were compared to my back I started paying attention to what I use...

I use the rear ALOT. Last night I was riding and realized that I used mostly rear brake.

Unless they've been de-linked, every XX pilot uses the rear brak to some degree with every braking evolution

True, of course. :) I should have asked if he used the rear brake pedal alone most of the time. That would activate 2 pots on the rear and one each on the fronts and should wear the rear pads more quickly than the fronts.

Rear master only operates one piston on the rear:

dcbsdiag_1.jpg

J.

Hi J-Red,

I checked out the Honda manual on page 15-10 and it says the same as your diagram. Anyway, it looks like neither of us was exactly right. :shock:

When you apply the brake pedal while the bike is in motion, one pot on each front caliper is applied and ALL THREE pots on the rear caliper are applied. :grin: Like you said, one rear pot is applied directly from the rear M/C. The other two rear pots are applied via the secondary M/C and PCV.

Thanks for calling me on this. I learned a little something. :wink: