CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch Fluid Discoloration - Why?

Lynx60

Have new 03 XX that I just bought 4 weeks ago. Put about 2500 miles on it. Clutch fluid has turned very, very dark brown color.

Today, I pointed out this problem to a Honda dealer. He agreed that the color of the clutch fluid was abnormally dark and should be changed out. But he wants to talk with Honda first to see if they'll cover it under warranty.

FYI, this is not my first experience with this problem. I also have an 02 XX overseas, and the same thing happened ... although the fluid didn't turn as dark as it has on my 03, nor in such a short amount of time!!!

My question is WHY is this happening??? Clutch fluid should certainly remain clear-colored longer than 4 weeks or 2500 miles.

Lynx60

My clutch fluid would turn dark pretty quick after a change , I was informed by Northman the reason the clutch fluid goes dark quicker than the brake fluid is that it is exposed to more heat at the slave, on a side note though my last change I used D.O.T.5.1 instead of 4.0 and it hasn't even started to get dark as of 500mi, I think I will be doing my brakes with the 5.1 also. :wink: :cool:

Don't use 5.0 though it's not compatible.

Northman is pretty much on the money. It's mostly due to the constant heat load the fluid is exposed to in the slave unit. It's even worse on the RC-51 and the Superhawk since the res. is half that of the XX.

Dot 5.1 has a much higher boiling point and is less hygroscopic then 3&4 (It will still absorb water, but over a longer period of time), so this is why it turns darker after more time.

Just goes to show you, eventually someone will ask a question you were thinking about asking. I've got an '02 Bird bought leftover new this February and I've noticed that my clutch fluid is darker than the brake fluid too. At first I thought maybe something was wrong and I was getting ready to have it changed, but I may wait now. What mileage should you have it flushed at? I'm nearing 9K now.

Just goes to show you, eventually someone will ask a question you were thinking about asking. I've got an '02 Bird bought leftover new this February and I've noticed that my clutch fluid is darker than the brake fluid too. At first I thought maybe something was wrong and I was getting ready to have it changed, but I may wait now. What mileage should you have it flushed at? I'm nearing 9K now.

The guy at my dealership told me that if your fluid looks like Coca-Cola it's time to change it, When I was using 4.0 that would happen by 1200mi.

I can see already with the 5.1 that it's gonna be a lot longer before I change again. :wink:

Did it look this bad? '97 w/29K

Slave465DiaphramZoom.JPG

OR

Slave468Resv.JPG

-Suf Daddy

Today, I pointed out this problem to a Honda dealer. He agreed that the color of the clutch fluid was abnormally dark and should be changed out. But he wants to talk with Honda first to see if they'll cover it under warranty.

FYI, this is not my first experience with this problem. I also have an 02 XX overseas, and the same thing happened ... although the fluid didn't turn as dark as it has on my 03, nor in such a short amount of time!!!

My question is WHY is this happening??? Clutch fluid should certainly remain clear-colored longer than 4 weeks or 2500 miles.

Lynx60

No, Suf Daddy, mine certainly doesn't look that bad. BTW, that doesn't look anything like clutch fluid. It looks more like tar. Damn, when was the last time someone changed that so-called "clutch fluid" ... back when Abraham Lincoln was prez???

The Honda dealer in my town (not where I bought my 03) seems to be playing games with me regarding the changing of my clutch fluid. Said he would have to check with Honda first. Told me this a week ago. Today he gave me some bullshit story that Honda never returned his call, that I should bring the bike in, let them change the fluid, I should pay for it, and they'll try to get reimbursement from Honda. Rubbish. I think this dealer is just pissed that I didn't buy the bike from them. Damn idiots told me there were no 03's around anyplace. Crap. I located one just 45 miles from my town at another dealers. Anyway, today, I contacted the dealer where I bought the bike and told him the color of my clutch fluid was abnormally dark & definitely should be changed out ... at his expense, or Honda's expense, I didn't care. After some dancing around he said he'd call Honda and call me back. 20 minutes later he calls back and said Honda approved it. Don't know if this is true, or his dealership is absorbing the cost out of good customer relations, but I'm going there tomorrow morning to have the fluid changed at someone else's expense, not mine!

I told the dealer the same thing happened to my 03 that I have overseas. He asked if replacing the fluid with the same Honda DOT-4 fluid solved the problem. I told him it seemed to, but only time would tell because I had it done just a short while ago. I mentioned to him that some people have switched to DOT-5.1 and noticed improved results ... but he didn't seem too willing to use DOT-5.1. I suspect that he just want to replace it with what Honda calls for, namely DOT-4.0.

Question: should I insist that he use DOT-5.1???

Lynx60