CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chains and Sprockets

NCXX

It is getting about time for me to consider a new chain and new sprockets. Well, I'll get right to it. What do I need to get? Go back with stock? Get a better after market chain? Go up a tooth or two on the rear? Leave it alone? I guess I am just looking for some guidence from you more experienced guys. Also, what do you think it will cost for the new chain and sprockets? Thanks for the advice.

Bryan

Stock chain is a DID 530ZVM. Great choice. RK now has one that is heavier, and I will try that next time, but I don't know if it is better or not. 530GXW I believe.

Stock OEM rear sprocket. In fact, you don't need to replace the rear unless it has a LOT of miles. It's that tough.

Front...do you want stock gearing or a little more quickness? Stock for stock gearing, AFAM 16t if you want to quicken the acceleration (that's what I've been running for 30k miles).

I decided to try the Sprocket specialties Titan Tough Aluminum rear. If it eats it up fast, I still have the OEM one I took off after 18,000 miles and it still looks good. The DID ZVM is a great chain. I ran a Regina last round and replaced it early because of my big June coming up (with the DID). I probably would have been around 25,000 miles with it (maybe).

MaXX

I just had my chain and sprockets delivered from Ron Ayers for $265. My original set lasted 39k miles. My second...not Honda stuff, lasted 18k miles. I'm sticking w/OEM from now on.

Great Day!

John

:treadmill:

That's why I recommend and use the DID 530ZVM--it is the stock chain. I'm going to try the RK only because someone I trust highly recommended it. Many people put on a lesser 530 (because dealers are idiots and most say it's no big deal) and of course get less miles.

Depends on how you ride. If you are commuter only, you might not go with a 1 down front.

I have another question, and as usual it's probably been answered in another post but this post is live so wtf:

i'm one down in front.

i've found a slightly used 2 up for the rear.

will i need a new (different) chain?

i've got 16k on this chain anyhow, what would you guys recommend?

thanks, as usual :grin:

Say, I got an aftermarket front sprocket (I think it is sprocket Specialties too) and it has a lot more play in it after being tightened down then the stock front sprocket. Is this an issue??? Do I need to put a spacer in there?? Thanks.

MaXX

i got a ss front 16t and it seemed like it did on the install. the oem has some cushioning or sumthin.

2.5k of mostly canyon riding, haven't had any issues.

What do you guys do to get such immense mileage out of a chain? Did I hear s/o claim >30K miles :shock: ?!? From what I hear, 30K km's is good...

Am I doing something seriously wrong, or are you never above 3000rpm? :wink:

That said, the guy I bought the bike from must have been the worst chain luber around, I'm now replacing the chain on my bird which is a tad short of 24K km!

I have 26K km on mine now, and it's still middle of the green.

I lube it "when I remember", do a lot of high speed runs, full throttle accelerations, wheelies, passengers, etc.

I definitely see getting 30k or more out of the stock chain. I'm heading to the Hoot in June, and will evaluate the chain & front sprocket when I get back as there should be 32K or so on it by then.

Who knows, it may last the rest of the summer............

Oh, did I mention that I never clean the chain?

My factory chain was a RK. Don't know which. It sucked!! 17 K miles and kinking worn past the L in the word replace on the sticker.

I then put on a DID 530 ZVM and sproc. spec. cogs. now at over 34K miles, I think I adjusted twice, no kinks, nice and smooth.

Wish I had been on this site before I did this, could have kept the rear cog. :cry:

will i need a new (different) chain?

Yes, unless it's so stretched it will let it fit...then you need a new chain for that reason... :grin:

I got 20k from my original chain, but that included the first 10k miles with the fucking crap stock tires so I wasn't riding it as hard. On the second chain I learned to wheelie it, and rode a couple of really hard rides (one which killed a tire in 1200 miles). That one was ready for replacement at 17k or so. My third one is doing great at 10k, but usually the most stretch and wear happens in the last 4k of life.

Why does mileage vary? Well, first off, everybody has a different opinion on when to change a chain, so it may not vary as much as you think. Riding style will have a huge effect. Cleaning is very tough on a chain so if you clean it a lot it will probably last less. Lube has very little effect on chain wear. Unless you're physically seeing metal galling, it doesn't matter. Use WD-40 if you want. You cannot help a chain's life by lubing it as long as you're not seeing metal-to-metal transfer. You do help sprocket life with lube.

In my opinion, it would depend on what type of riding you do.

If your just out doing normal riding, touring, commuting, ect. - stick with stock - the most miles for the buck.

If you want to increase your acceleration - try 1 down in front & 1 up in the rear - this equates to 4 tooth increase in rear (as the 1 down in front = 3 up in the rear).

Also - if acceleration is what your after - suggest changing to 520 size chain & sprockets (all 3 must be changed as a set) as this will reduce the

weight of the spinning mass on the drivetrain and help with quicker acceleration.

As for chains, I'm sure others will argue - but I've used U.S.Tsubaki chains for years and they out perform DID, RK & Regina chains hands down.

Good Luck with whatever you do................. :wink:

Thanks for the responses guys. I have another question. Where should I look to purchase chains and sprokets? The dealership or is there a good website. Thanks again.

Bryan